Ranting about a topic I read earlier.

Options
I was reading a thread earlier in which a husband was concerned for the health of his wife and daughter. His wife is too stubborn to make healthy food choices, and she and his daughter are both overweight because of it.

What really gets me is that people were telling him he's a FOOD NAZI if he pushes for his wife and daughter to be HEALTHY (and he has NO RIGHT to do it)? Look, I'm sorry. If they weren't overweight, it might be one thing; HOWEVER, as a father and as a husband, he has EVERY RIGHT to push for his family to be healthier.

What's he supposed to do? Concede and live a life of worry? Marriage is about compromise, and she's clearly not doing her part. Food nazi is nowhere near appropriate.

Replies

• mmredd100
    mmredd100 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I felt that was a bit harsh too. I understand the advice to where he is not going to be able to push the wife into a healthy lifestyle that she doesn't deem necessary for herself but he has the right to be concerned. While he lost 68 pounds and may not have been in a position before to point fingers he clearly learned his ways probably weren't the best either which influenced his change. Once seeing this it probably heightened his awareness for them. I see the concern as care as long as he's not being an a*hole about it. It's a touchy subject though so he should expect a "push" back about it if she isn't ready or she doesn't see herself as unhealthy.

Before I started my journey in the back of my mind I knew it about myself, so when my boyfriend pleaded with me for us to get healthier I was ready in a sense but took his concerns as care instead of negativity. Why wouldn't this dad want a healthy wife and daughter? But not everybody will see it that way, it's a tough situation. I thought food nazi was a little harsh, but we also don't know the whole story.

As far as the little girl, coming from a family that fed their kids whatever they wanted to eat which consisted of as many portions wanted, and fast food. He should want to get control of it now. It really makes a difference. I wish I weren't allowed fast food as a child and the normal was healthy veggies and extremely healthy options. I'm not really blaming my parents now because once I became a teenager it was then my own choices that reflect where I am now but as a child I could have already been on a healthier path. I struggled since I was probably in elementary school and they definitely could have taken control. But I also am not a parent so for me to touch on that is off base. I've been surrounded by kids who are just awful with eating. Either won't eat a thing or screams til they get what they want. So I'm sure that's tough to deal with.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    The threads that deal with marriages and/or relationships, only have one side of the story being told and it is from the OP perspective. Many times more (very relevant) information comes to light as the thread progresses, but it is still one side of the story.

I admit I only glanced at that thread, but if the issue was not solved in that thread, it will not be solved in this one either.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    He definitely has a say in what his daughter eats, however if he's not doing any meal prep for the daughter, then he shouldn't be complaining. I don't know if that's the case or not.

If he nags his wife about food, she will most likely resent him. Most (not all) women will start feeling like he doesn't love her for who she is and thinks that she's just a fat cow, which will just trigger more emotional eating. People can't lose weight and get healthy long term from outside motivation. It has to be internal motivation for it to stick.
  • Ferrous_Female_Dog
    Ferrous_Female_Dog Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    The wife is an adult. He can't do anything to make her eat differently but he has every right to decide what his child eats. He'll take a more active role in parenting her if he cares enough.