If the zombies come, I'm so dead

Options
So, I'm trying to do this C25k program. It seemed like it would work well for me. Start slow and steady and build up to where I want to be. But, the minute my feet try to run it is all pain... in my ankles, in my shins. Disclaimer, I had a pretty wopping injury last year and have a plate and pins in one ankle and did tendon damage to the other. I know it takes a long time to heal,and I'm sure my weight isn't helping. I'm not sure if it is the impact that is hurting, is it my stance, my shoes, I have no idea. So... I took it back to fast pace walking and still worked up a good sweat. I felt gulity not being able to run so I did some aerobics at home too. But, all I kept thinking was "good lord, I hope there is no NEED to run because I would be so screwed".

Replies

• TMattP
    TMattP Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about the zombies. They eat the slobs on the couch first.

You are no longer on the couch you are making an effort. Keep going. You can do it.

At the moment your body is not used to it. That is all. Everyone goes through this.

It will get better.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    You might want to try building up your overall level of fitness and muscle strength with weight training, circuit training and walking first. That's what I did. The first time I tried a jog a damn near died. Today I did for the first time what could be described as a halfway "real" run. And it was pure awesomeness. The thing is if your leg or core muscles are weak and you are very heavy then your bone structure has to take a lot of that weight I think. Don't be ashamed to start slow with walking even. As a heavy person you will burn some pretty good calories doing just that.

To illustrate the point I had much the same problem with my first weighted squats. I couldn't do it because my leg muscles just gave up and put all the weight on my knee joint. Which rapidly resulted in pain city. I had to build up my leg muscles to the extent that they could stay "locked in" and take most of the weight before I could squat properly.
  • fooninie
    fooninie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Perhaps lower impact and walk it a little? it's still a 5k if you walk it. Also, that comment about zombies eating people on the couch was awesome and I think I would agree. Let's call the zombies fat, you are up, you are moving, ergo, zombies are going to fall off scared stiff!! GL on your journey and can't wait to hear your successes.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Keep up the C25K training and add classes on using a crossbow. You'll be fine.
  • chunkmunk
    chunkmunk Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I tried C25k because I thought I wanted to be a runner. But my left knee did not approve of my plan. :laugh: You know what? Pain is not all that fun. I decided to give up on the running. I am perfectly happy now that I "limit" myself to walking, weight training, doing yoga, doing cardio classes, paddleboarding, and kayaking.

If you really want to run, then just ease yourself in slowly. But if your body has other plans, there are lots of other options. Good luck on your journey!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    :laugh: at your tittle post. I am with you, I have arthritis in my knees and cannot run, but I do walk 6 miles 6 days a week and also heavy weight lifting, I'm hoping one of these days I will be able to run. :ohwell:
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    So, I'm trying to do this C25k program. It seemed like it would work well for me. Start slow and steady and build up to where I want to be. But, the minute my feet try to run it is all pain... in my ankles, in my shins. Disclaimer, I had a pretty wopping injury last year and have a plate and pins in one ankle and did tendon damage to the other. I know it takes a long time to heal,and I'm sure my weight isn't helping. I'm not sure if it is the impact that is hurting, is it my stance, my shoes, I have no idea. So... I took it back to fast pace walking and still worked up a good sweat. I felt gulity not being able to run so I did some aerobics at home too. But, all I kept thinking was "good lord, I hope there is no NEED to run because I would be so screwed".
    1) The person stating it's still a 5K if you walk is correct.
    2) I would check with a doc due to the extent of your injuries and see if they recommend running or not..and if they do recommend it, the best way to ease into it.
    3) One thing that can cause problems with the knees for runners is ONLY training running forward...then muscles get out of balance and "pull" the kneecap out of align over time as your calves get more developed than shins/thighs. So if you are running, combine it with time on the elliptical/rower going in reverse to try and counteract that. This doesn't seem to apply to your specific case but putting it out there for others who might be trying running and having this issue...
  • ChristinWrites
    ChristinWrites Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Here is what I had to do in order to be able to run at all. In January I couldn't jog up a flight of steps without feeling winded - now I run, albeit very slowly, up to 5k's at a time. When I tried to do the training initially it was painful, so I focused on building up my strength. I started doing a lot of squats, lunges etc. and building up my endurance with those. Once I started to develop strength in my legs, then it was easier to start to jog. I used a treadmill at first. Get GOOD shoes, that fit you properly.

Bad shoes account for so much pain when jogging, especially with your prior injuries. (have you ok'd this with your doctor? perhaps you could even get some physical therapy to improve range of motion etc if needed) I have a pair of ASICS trail runners that I absolutely love - no more arch pain in the feet and my knees don't feel the impact as much either.

Once I got it down on the treadmill going very slow (slower than you walk at first seriously) then I started graduating to outdoor surfaces. Many tracks have a gravel or softer surface and they are of course flat. Once you build up there a bit, then go for hiking trails that have a bit of incline and more "texture". Don't start off straight away on the pavement - ouch.

Build up over time - make it 6 months if you have to instead of 6 weeks. The more you ease into it, the better off you'll be and much less likely to injure yourself.

Also, walking is fantastic too :) I get a better workout hiking some moderate to intense trails than I do jogging/running :)
  • anissa333
    anissa333 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    You dont have to be the fastest....just fast than the person behind you!!
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    I bet zombies can't swim. If they ever come, I'm heading for the water. I swim much better than I run.
  • Slashnl
    Slashnl Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    So, I totally opened this post because of the title. Love it! Made me laugh.
    I also like the responses you've received. Some good thoughts here, so I'll just add my support!
  • roanokejoe49
    roanokejoe49 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Keep up the C25K training and add classes on using a crossbow. You'll be fine.

Bad advice. There's only one Darryl, dollface.
  • shutch2112
    shutch2112 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    :blushing: Because I'm such a nerd, my fear of zombie outbreak and realizing how very dead I would be if I needed to run, was one of my many factors of wanting to try to get fitter...
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 913 Member
    Options
    it's true, Zombie's can't swim.

But yeah, you should get your injuries/healing looked at to see what you should be able to do at this point. fast walking is OK if that's all you can manage. Running/jogging does put more pounding on your body. Also might want to look into special shoes, possibly orthotics, not just runners.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    You dont have to be the fastest....just fast than the person behind you!!

yep, or at least have no qualms about pushing people down on your way out. There's no rules in love and zombie apocalypse.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Have you seen how slowly those things move - they just shuffle along. I'm sure you'll be fine, even at a fast walk.

Plus the crossbow training - excellent idea. Strength training, martial arts training, etc would be beneficial as well. And most burn calories so it's a win-win.

While zombies can't technically swim, they don't need to breathe so they could be lurking just under the surface shuffling around the bottom of the ocean/lake...you never know.

I know way too much about zombies
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options

Unless there are zombie sharks, too. That might be a concern.
  • congruns
    congruns Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Is everyone basing their perception of zombies on what Hollywood tells us? In the 80's and 90's, zombies were portrayed as slow walkers. Now they are fast and athletic. We really don't know they will actually move. We aren't even sure if shooting them in the head will put them down.

There is a certain level of fitness that is required to survive in an apocalyptic world, but I would be more worried about aliens before zombies.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options

Or if they turned while wearing "floaties"
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options

Or if they turned while wearing "floaties"

I'm guessing nobody in this thread READ World War Z... Isn't that where the possible first bite happened? In a lake? From underwater?

It's possible I'm mistaken. It's been a while.