"LOW-CALORIE?! FOR REAL?!" Potato Salad

Options
WadeLam
WadeLam Posts: 224 Member
I love me some potato salad. Yessir, sure do. There's just something about it that screams COOKOUT and FUN and SUMMERTIME!!! But, since I've been dieting, I've completely cut it out. Solely because potato salad normally ticks off my scale. But not anymore! :) I came across this recipe from Carrie Ann (food.com) that is DELISH.

"LOW-CALORIE?! FOR REAL?!" Potato Salad

Ingredients:
6 medium red potatoes
1/4 chopped green onion
1 (2 ounce) jar diced pimentos, drained
1/2 cup fat-free mayonnaise (if you even attempt to use that full-fat crap from Satan, I will smack you)
1/4 cup plain low-fat yogurt
1/4 cup low-fat sour cream
1 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoons prepared mustard (I prefer dijon, myself)
1 tablespoon white or red wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
1/2 clove garlic, minced

Directions:
Cut potatoes into 1/2" pieces; place in medium saucepan. Add water to cover. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain and cool. Combine potato, chopped green onion, and pimentos in a large bowl; toss gently. Combine mayonnaise and next 9 ingredients; stir well. Add to potato mixture, tossing gently to coat (I said GENTLY - unless you want mashed potatoes). Cover and chill. I also topped mine with about 3 slices of crumbled turkey bacon, which is not included in the nutrition info below.

With the very first bite of this potato salad, I heard about three thousand tiny voices scream “COOKOUT! FUN! SUMMERTIME!” at the tip-top of their itty bitty lungs.

And then I ate them. They were delicious! Enjoy. :)

Nutrition Facts:
Serving Size: 1/8 of recipe (204 g)
Total Servings Per Recipe: 8
Amount Per Serving:
Calories 152.5
Calories from Fat 16 (10%)
Total Fat 1.8 g (2%)
Saturated Fat 0.7 g (3%)
Cholesterol 5.0 mg (1%)
Sodium 326.7 mg (13%)
Total Carbohydrate 30.6 g (10%)
Dietary Fiber 3.3 g (13%)
Sugars 5.1 g (20%)
Protein 3.9 g (7%)

Replies

• WonkaCat
    WonkaCat Posts: 42
    Options
    Awesome recipe and very similar to what I make. I add cut up cucumber, pickles and chives to mine and also some purple potatoes for color. Summer is not complete without potato salad!
  • 78105234a
    78105234a Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Wow... That's sounds fantastic.... Have to try. Potato salad a must at our house.... Hubby who isn't overweight makes a potato salad sandwich.. I know, disgusting.....
  • ilovelucy711
    ilovelucy711 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Sounds good but be care when using the no-fat/low-fat yogurts, mayo or etc, because often they have more sugar in them to make them taste good. I will try this for my family but perhaps sub it for greek yogurt?
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    Bump! I might simplify by using 1/2 c fat-free sour cream and leave out the yogurt. Just because I don't use plain yogurt much.
  • slimmalikah
    slimmalikah Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    bump
  • nikkohli
    nikkohli Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Bump! I might simplify by using 1/2 c fat-free sour cream and leave out the yogurt. Just because I don't use plain yogurt much.
    Bump-I like this idea.
  • droxeene
    droxeene Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Who puts SUGAR in potato salad?? Wholly unnecessary and gross. :sick:
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    And LOL at "full fat crap from Satan". Funny how mayo is the devil, which is nothing more than oil and eggs, but refined white sugar is totally ok. (not that I have a problem with either)
  • WadeLam
    Options
    And LOL at "full fat crap from Satan". Funny how mayo is the devil, which is nothing more than oil and eggs, but refined white sugar is totally ok. (not that I have a problem with either)

Full fat mayo isn't necessarily the devil, but it is the devil in this particular recipe. Using full-fat mayo (Hellman's) in this would have added an additional 600 calories to the recipe.

Also - I made this myself - and it was delicious with the single tablespoon of sugar, which was about 6 calories per serving. :)
  • DeboraW_55
    DeboraW_55 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I hate fat free mayo. Would use Kraft olive oil instead, Thanks!
  • WadeLam
    Options
    I hate fat free mayo. Would use Kraft olive oil instead, Thanks!

The sour cream and yogurt sort of mask the aftertaste of the fat free mayo. But the Kraft olive oil variety is a thought - I've never tried it. Is it lighter than regular mayo?
  • pronetocrash91
    pronetocrash91 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I might have to give this a try. I love my mom's potato salad but God knows it isn't the healthiest recipe.