heres a crazy question

Options
this may sound like a dumb question, but i was just wondering how one looses water weight when your constantly pumping yourself with water? how is drinking water (which i can only seem to drink 6 c a day) supposed to help you loose weight? just wondering?

Replies

• Jizes318
    Jizes318 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    HAHA I wondered the same thing. I do not know much about this stuff but wanted to let you know you are not alone!
  • bka8
    bka8 Posts: 92
    Options
    I know there's going to be really in depth answers, but as far as I understand- when you're dehydrated, your body retains any water it has, hence, more water weight. If you're well hydrated, it wont do that.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If your body is not getting enough water it will hold on to what it does have as hard as possible so it wont dehydrate. when you drink a steady supply your body knows it will get more water shortly and does not need to hold on to any excess water for later.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    in a nut shell: you are comprised mostly of water and due to metabolic activities you must actively consume water to keep levels in check. If your internal water level drops below what you body feels comfortable at your body thinks its in a water-shortage period (think back to early ancestors) and all of your body's cells soak up as much water as possible. With all of this retained water (which is also sparked by sodium intake) you weigh more.

When you drink adequate amounts of water, your cells dont freak out and therefore dont hold water.

hope this helps :-)
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I know there's going to be really in depth answers, but as far as I understand- when you're dehydrated, your body retains any water it has, hence, more water weight. If you're well hydrated, it wont do that.

True true. Your body holds onto water within your vessels, organs, cells, etc. If you are retaining you need to drink a bunch and it flushes out the excess that is being held onto. Your body recognizes it is not dehydrated anymore and you pee it all out. If you eat too much sodium or drink too little water then your body holds on to every drop in fear it is not going to get anymore. I drink 12-15 glasses a day.
  • RodgerBuckley
    RodgerBuckley Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I don't have a water problem - just a FAT problem :0( I drink water, it comes out fairly soon afterwards, I eat a bar of chocolate, it stays there FOREVER!!!!
  • jen0619
    jen0619 Posts: 414
    Options
    I don't have a water problem - just a FAT problem :0( I drink water, it comes out fairly soon afterwards, I eat a bar of chocolate, it stays there FOREVER!!!!

This was just funny :)
  • mariamxo
    Options
    If your body is not getting enough water it will hold on to what it does have as hard as possible so it wont dehydrate. when you drink a steady supply your body knows it will get more water shortly and does not need to hold on to any excess water for later.

Very true, It's when you don't drink enough water daily that if you do suddenly drink a lot of water, your body tends to hold onto it whereas if you do drink a lot of water regularly, it cleanses you and just goes through you instead of staying in the body.
  • redruthie
    Options

Haha! This has me laughing so hard I have to pee!!!
  • Amb1976
    Amb1976 Posts: 241 Member
    Options

True true. Your body holds onto water within your vessels, organs, cells, etc. If you are retaining you need to drink a bunch and it flushes out the excess that is being held onto. Your body recognizes it is not dehydrated anymore and you pee it all out. If you eat too much sodium or drink too little water then your body holds on to every drop in fear it is not going to get anymore. I drink 12-15 glasses a day.
  • Amb1976
    Amb1976 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    wow, thats alot of water (12-15)....not that i mind so much anymore....long as its ice cold i can drink it....i thought it was an achievement to make it to a gallon (8cups, right?) of water today...thanks all so much...this really helped...
  • haninglm
    Options

Kind of like when your body goes into starvation mode... huh, I never thought about it that way. I really need to drink more water.

I never cared much for it though. How does everyone else drink the required 8 glasses?