Returning to MFP and having the same trouble

Options
Hello again, MFPers

This is my fourth time (I think) trying MFP and I'm already losing my motivation. When I started 2 years ago (early 2012) I weighed 142 (5'7" female). This was a pretty unchanged number for me. I had been around 145 since 2009 but I wanted to weigh less. I joined MFP, I cut cigarettes, alcohol, and fast food for 2 months, exercised 6 days a week, ate well, and quit after seeing little change. After giving up and trying again over the years I still don't smoke or eat fast food but would drink occasionally. October 2012 I weighed 152. May 2013 I was 155. January 2014 I weighed 157. I was still 157 last month and now today, after 2 days of perfect eating and exercise, I weigh 160. I understand this could be my body getting used to new food or the sudden appropriate amount of water but it hurts to see it.

I am at my breaking point. I do NOT look like I've gained weight. I fit into most of my clothes from 2012 (or earlier). I just can't seem to stop gaining weight no matter what. The insane person inside me wants to start smoking and eating fast food again because at least I weighed less then.

Can anyone PLEASE help me get my motivation back? Please don't tell me to eat back my exercise calories because when I do I get fatter. Is this just a normal thing? Is there something wrong with my body (tested negative for hypothyroidism)? What is wrong with me?

Replies

• bekahlou75
    bekahlou75 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    So last month you weighed 157, you ate and exercised perfectly for 2 days, and now you weight 160? What about the other days of the month? What exercises are you doing? I will suggest that you need to lift heavy weights, whether it's free weights or machines. That's what I had to do. Are you eating at a deficit? Do you weigh your food? Do you log your food consistently?
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Stop weighing yourself so often you obviously have problems detaching yourself from daily fluctuations. The only person who can motivate you is you. Other can inspire or give advice but motivation comes from within and is fleeting. Create good habits and these will tide you through. Have a look at the thread below. Good luck

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=guide+to+sexypants&page=1#posts-18361594
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Mindset. You are focusing on what others can do for you and that will never work.

When you are ready to put in the work, commit to the plan - you will get healthy.

Until then, you're wasting your time. It really is that simple. When someone said that to me a few years ago - I thought they were crazy. Now, I know they are absolutely right.

Read the links that Zardoz & Dianne posted. See what you need to be doing. Decide if it's worth the time and energy. When you find the answer - then move forward.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Consistency. Patience. DECISION, not motivation is required.
  • engodwin
    engodwin Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! Whatever you do, don't give up.

How many days/weeks/months/years did it take you to get to 160 lbs.? 2 days? Not hardly. It takes us a while to gain weight and turn muscle into mush, soooo it will take a while to do the opposite too!

2 days is a GREAT start. Don't give up! Don't try to change too much in the beginning - change little things gradually. When you do it this way you're more likely to stick to it. Changing your whole life all at once is hard - and most people fail once or twice or... every time they try it all at once. Little steps. It took little steps to get here and it will take little steps to get back.

Head up. You got this!
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    2 whole days? Read the links that we're given and decide if you are really ready to do this or not. But it takes longer than 2 days and stay off the scale if it bugs you that much
  • khd8n
    khd8n Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    We're the same height, and two years ago I was about the same weight as you were (142). I have lost about 10 lbs since then (though half of that has come in the last six months). This is what I did: worked out consistently and cut back on a few things, mostly bread and alcohol. It was nothing drastic, and I did not expect change quickly. I've tried eating extremely low calories before and it just leads to binging, so I try and eat at least 1400-1800 cals a day, including exercise calories.

I'm a runner, and have been since high school, so that's my exercise. I run between 3-6 miles a day, 4-6x a week, and I introduced heavy lifting in the last six months, as well. I'm currently training for a half marathon, and so have cut back on the lifting, but I'm not giving up on it completely. I actually hate lifting, but I it's made a HUGE difference in my body, so I try and do 20 min, at least 2x a week. My diary is open, if you'd like to look at it. Also, YOU MUST BE ACCURATE WITH YOUR CALORIES, and if you're not, (I actually guess a fair amount), try and guess OVER and then underestimate exercise calories. But accuracy is best.

TLDR; what everyone says: accurate calories, small changes, find something you like to do exercise-wise and do it a lot and read all those helpful links.
  • xenu01
    xenu01 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Maybe it would help to stop punishing yourself so much? I know there are people on here on 1200 calorie a day diets who are working out 6-7 times a week, but honest-to-goodness I have no idea where they find the time, let alone the motivation. I go to the gym once a week, go running once a week, and take long rambling walks after work once or twice a week, and I'm enjoying my life. When I want a treat, I do the math to see if it fits into my calories, and maybe once a week I go over a little bit. I'm losing weight at a slow pace (I've lost only about 40 lbs since last summer), but it's steady and I've never needed to stop doing what I'm doing to recover or lost motivation. The only thing I've done is gotten lazy every now and then with logging when I'm eating familiar foods and familiar portions (though I'm back to logging and determined to keep a steady log for the next 6 months). I feel like the losing process should be practice for maintenance.
  • magsimus89
    Options
    Lots of good responses on here and I appreciate it!

I actually don't weigh myself often. I just woke up yesterday morning with a totally flat stomach and figured I may as well. As for relying on others, all I really meant by helping me get my motivation back was to share similar stories where you powered through and were successful. Other successes make me feel better.

I do count calories and measure my food. I'm currently gluten free and drinking more water than I ever have. I will continue to try. I know 2 days isn't much time but I am just easily discouraged.

Thank you again for the replies and I will check those links!