Replies

• mkmarasch
    mkmarasch Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I need to read this board. Thank you.
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    Man, awesome, I thought there was something seriously wrong with me, now I know I'm not alone. Thank you for your courage, OP.

I find that logging -every- -single- -thing- I eat helps. The prospect of facing my log after a day of noshing on everything is usually enough for me to find something else to distract myself with. I eat when I'm bored or upset, I know this.
  • cookiekrunch
    cookiekrunch Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    This post was written just for me. I have been struggling with binge eating for the last month. I discovered some cocoa flavored peanuts and instead of eating the recommended serving size of 40 I find myself looking at the bottom of the can after 30 minutes. I CRAVE the!. At one point I had about 25 cans in the pantry. Every day I was going to the store buying 2 and three cans at a time. I am down to one can now and have to force myself not to buy more. This one can of nuts is 960 calories! I have been fooling myself that these are FREE calories because I worked out with extra intensity, but deep down I know better. I wouldn't even log them in to MFP because I knew I would be over my calorie limit. I am now trying to curb the cravings by eating the chocolate PB2 and found that it helps.

SW: 260
    CW: 195
    LW: 185
    GW: 175
    UGW: 160

It am glad to know I am not alone. Sometimes the simplest food items can cause someone to binge eat. I have discovered do it when I am bored. Now that I have found my trigger, I have to consciously change my behavior to resist that can of peanuts.
  • xxdef1antxx
    xxdef1antxx Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I Identify with all of this, its so hard sometimes. I don't really know how to explain it, but I always feel like Im doing it behind my own back, like if I am sneaky about it I wont catch myself. The last few months have been brutal and really the only thing that's has been keeping it from being worse is lifting 6 days a week. I have been binging because of stress and emotional stuff and sometimes I feel like I cant stop myself even though I know that my goal is moving one day further away because of it. I am trying to take it one day at a time but holy hell is it just tough. I have read on the body building forums that you cant have a healthy body without a healthy mind and I have learned over the last few weeks that its beyond true. I don't want to sound like I am justifying it, but for the last few weeks because of the over eating all of my lifts have gone up quite a bit, so I guess there is a positive behind it. But hey, today is another day so lets all make today a good day.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    I am an ex binge eater. Carbs were my downfall also. I had to take drastic measures. I completely cut out all "bad" carbs like breads pasta rice etc for over a year. Once I had my eating in control and actually understood what portions were and what it felt like when I was truly satisfied vs over filled I then started adding those carbs back in with moderation. I know it's not for everyone but it is what I had to do to gain control of my binges. I did not buy sweets or things like that and did not keep them in my house. Now that I can have them in moderation it is a different story :)

Your avatar pics show an amazing transformation! I'm just starting a similar process as what you describe. I got rid of all the foods that make me more hungry after I eat them instead of less hungry.

So far so good. But it's only been a month, although I did lose weight on low carb in the past, which was by its nature the same thing, since I never went for Atkins bars or anything.
  • nevareg
    nevareg Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys so much! Your responses have brought me to tears. I love that I'm not alone, but hate that we all struggle with this daily. I will incorporate many of your idea into my everyday life. One day at a time right. I feel like some pressure was just lifted. Denial is a struggle, and it's one of the reasons why I tell myself I'm not so bad and counseling is for someone with bigger problems. I don't know what triggers it and I'd like to find out, so maybe that will be my first step. I know it took courage to tell me your story and i can't thank you enough.
  • nevareg
    nevareg Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1wx6KxI1RBLdW5nZlpsMmtYdTA/edit

This helped me more than anyone knows!
    I started binging a few months ago again,a bout 3,000 - 10,000 calories a day.

Yesterday I was driving around for an hour straight on my way home -- hitting up all the gas station, fast food, and grocery stores in my capital district, consuming 7,000 calories -- then going home, drinking and eating even more to the point of being physically in excruciating pain was pretty disgustingly non-highlighted moment of my life. I think I ate from 10AM - 12AM without stopping. Woke up the next day disgusted by food, yet ate breakfast. Go figure

Read that book today, had just gotten it in the mail .. all I can say is my perception is much different!

I think Ill be able to stop now!

I just looked it up and found it online for free, so Im hoping that could help you guys?

Thank you for the book, I'll definitely check it out!
  • beccasaur387
    beccasaur387 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge binge eater, emotional eater, and snacker. I've tried to quit my bad habits and it's extremely hard. My husband likes to buy the 'bad' things like soda when it's on sale and Costco size snacks. I'm also a momma so anything I can eat with one hand is what I'm about. I've found that if it's out of sight it's out of mind. I flat out told my husband that he can buy the bad food but he needs to take it to work with him otherwise I will eat it and I'm sticking to my weight loss guns this time. I think fast food isn't evil if you do your research on healthier options first. I have bookmarked pages of healthier options for Starbucks and fast food chains that won't break my calorie intake. I also pin healthy snacks/meals on Pinterest so next time I make my grocery list I know exactly what to add.
  • mserisand
    mserisand Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm a binge eater. Most of the stuff i eat don't even make sense. Never actually a meal just food that i find around the house. I have spent hundreds of dollars a month eating out while my husband was at work, if i had a few hours to myself and I would eat until I puked. I mean really, I would fill myself up so much I would be barfing before I got it all down. I haven't done it in a while.
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I will only buy foods that I know that I will not binge eat. That is the only thing that has worked for me.
  • katie_heinricher
    katie_heinricher Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I definitely relate. I usually binge and stress eat when I'm tired or upset. What has helped me is keeping healthy food in the house a binge on frozen grapes isn't nearly as bad as a binge on cookies. I also try drinking a few cups of water when I feel a binge coming on. And if I do binge on crap food I don't dwell on it
    I focus on making the next day better
  • mrsmitchell0510
    mrsmitchell0510 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Binge Eater in recovery here!
    I used to order two meals at Zaxby's and be sure to order two drinks to go with it so they wouldn't know that I planned on eating both meals myself. And those bags of little powdered donuts? I have consumed many of those in my late night binge eating frenzies.
    It's not an overnight transformation or a quick fix. It's something that has to be worked on slowly.
    I would do well for a while and then sink back into my old ways. When that would happen and I would have a binge, I would not log the foods I binged on. But, several weeks ago, I made a goal to log every single thing I ate for an entire week. One night, I could not seem to be satisfied and before I knew it I had consumed an enormous number of calories. While I didn't want to log them, I also wanted to meet my mini-goal of logging everything for a week. So, I logged it. And what an eye-opener that was. Seeing just how many calories I had consumed, rather than just "guesstimating" just about made me sick to my stomach. I can't say that I haven't overindulged since then. But, I can say that I have not binged like I used to and progress is progress, no matter how small or how slow. Logging through my binges has helped me.
    Good luck!
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Very inspiring and heart felt responses here.

First, to the OP... congratulations on being here, admitting and trying to work through your problem. Most people never get this far so good for you. Keep talking and keep fighting. I promise you that it will pass and you'll be successful, healthy and happy.

Second, to the folks who replied and have overcome binging, congratulations! You have overcome amazing challenges and I hope you are all proud of yourselves. Keep up the good work!

To the folks who are in the middle.. keep plugging away. There is only failure in not trying and every day, in fact, every hour is a new challenge and a new opportunity to succeed and as long as you keep trying, you're doing a good job.

In general... please don't feel guilty, easy to say I know, but guilt doesn't erase a binge and it only serves to make you feel worse about yourself so don't waste your energy on that.

While I was never truly a binge person by definition I have had my moments where I just can't get enough and I have thrown out many brand new products that I purchased with the intention of eating all of it. My personal experience has to do with extreme calorie restriction and just being stubborn enough to deprive myself and actually feel good about it. I am not in any way shape or form advocating pro-ana or ED's, I am just saying that for some folks the idea of deprivation and being empty fuels the ego. It's a control thing and unfortunately many times that leads to a binge. It is important to understand the emotional or mental causes behind the binge. Or sometimes it is as simple as the fact that you're just not getting enough food during the day.

I went no carbohydrate for a while and it was the worst thing I could have done as it made my sweets craving out of control. I am now very low carbohydrate and handle it well.

A few things have worked for me to stop myself from, I will call it over eating, since I don't truly fit into the binge category.

Tons of protein and fiber, tons of water, tons of distraction e.g., call someone, write (hand write) something, anything. Go for a walk, paint your nails, crank the music as loud as you can and dance like no one is watching :) Chew gum, chew on ice, put on some of the clothes you bought when you started going down in sizes and marvel at how good you look and how proud of yourself you are. Give yourself a make over, if you smoke... chain smoke! Do your hair, jump a rope, do some gardening, walk your dog, do a work out, clean your house, go to the mall and window shop, chew gum... a whole pack if you need too...

See? all of these distractions made you forget that we were talking about binging right? LOL! Sorry...

Actually the one big thing that works for me is to give myself permission to binge. Sounds counter-intuitive but giving yourself permission takes the stress off. It removes the taboo, the guilt, the anticipation, the obsession and it allows YOU to be in control of where and when YOU chose to have that binge. By the time you get around to it hopefully the urge has past and you're feeling strong enough to just say "Nah... I don't really need to do this". I also think about the fact that I have worked so hard in my MMA classes that I've actually thrown up, pissed myself and nearly crapped myself and passed out so there is just no way in hell I am going to work that hard and be counter productive.

Anyway... I know that our situations are very different but I hope that some of this helps.

Thanks.
  • soccerkon26
    soccerkon26 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I will eat everything in sight, similar to things that you do (bread, donuts, etc.).

So, the other day, my family got donuts for breakfast. Instead, I ate oatmeal for breakfast, and factored in being able to have 1 donut as a snack. ....I wanted a maple donut and a sprinkle donut, so I cut each in half, so I only ate 1 donut total.

Sounds weird, but it made me get rid of my craving for the donuts! And, I made the donuts a snack instead of a meal out of them.
  • MegE_N
    MegE_N Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I try to keep my hands busy. Folding laundry or mopping (somehow those things always need to be done!) If the desire gets too strong, I go for a walk - without my wallet. No matter how much I want it then, it's out of reach. Usually working out (read: walking) decreases my appetite for awhile, but that's just me.

Best of luck!
  • nomorebingesgirl2014
    nomorebingesgirl2014 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Great post
  • Remaking_Me
    Remaking_Me Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Im with this guy.

I finally got a nutritionists advice---- by eating ON PURPOSE 90-130gms of protein daily,
    I am NEVER hungry, and rarely crave. In just 6 weeks it has totally changed the way I eat
    and the way I look at my food life.

I have still had a few 'bumps' in the transition, and it IS a lot of work to eat this much protein.
    Im doing chicken, lean steaks, protein drinks and bars, and a LOT LOT LOT of black beans.

I FEEL amazing, have dropped 7lbs in 6 weeks, and 10 inches off my body. SW was 196 on June 6th.

Make the decision to 'get full' and keep your body's needs satisfied, and you wont struggle with the cravings
    NEARLY as much. The other half- is sticking to it long term- your body needs to lose its addiction to the bad fats
    and chemicals you've been eating..

I have been there. Food CAN be as addicting as drugs---- its been my drug for 10 years.

Not anymore. PROTEIN FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    I did go through a time (currently still recovering) from a time of binge eating/bulimia. I was able to really help myself from going on a hclf vegan lifestyle, and after a month I suddenly have no cravings to binge. Nothing. I put it down to well balanced nutrition and abundent eating. It has really helped me so if you wanna talk about it more or if your curious you can friend me if you'd like :flowerforyou:
  • Evelien11
    Evelien11 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Last year I reached a low point when I gained 30 kg (66 pounds) in less than one year. I realised I need professional help to overcome this, and that's the best choice I ever made. My counsellor got me through this. I would recommend "eating mindfully" by Susan Albers, the book that changed my life! If you don't change your mindset, you will never completely stop binging.
  • sarah_hite
    sarah_hite Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I know this technique won't work for everyone, but hopefully someone else will find it helpful.
    I used to binge eat on junk food a lot. Now, I make sure to get the nutrition (protein, etc) I need early in the day, and let myself have a small treat under my calorie limit in the evening. Looking forward to eating the treat helps me keep from binging the rest of the day. I also log everything, so if I do binge eat, I know I'll have to log it.
    I know this might not be the healthiest thing to do, but I figure that I'm probably going to be watching my calories and nutrition for the rest of my life. If that means that I can't have some of the junky foods that I really like for the rest of my life, I'll probably just give up. So this is sort of a compromise. And this way, I'm actually happy with my diet, and I feel like I can stick to it for as long as I need to.