Anyone else around 5'9" 185lbs?

Hi all,

I am 33 years old, 5'9", and I weigh 185lbs. I recently joined MFP and I'm trying to get to 160lbs. Because of my body composition I think 160 will look good on me, and when I get there I will decide if I want to lose another 10 pounds to 150. I used to be 150 in my early twenties and always thought I was a little chubby, but I work out now so I expect it to be different.

If there are others with similar stats and goals, It would be great to hear from you and how your weight loss journey is going. We could offer each other advice and support, and this should be easier when you're not doing it alone. So far, I am not having any success. Thanks.

Replies

• FireStorm1972
    FireStorm1972 Posts: 1,142 Member
    42 here, 5'7. Started February 2, 2014
    SW was 265lbs
    CW is 190lbs
    GW is 160lbs
  • taachfitness
    taachfitness Posts: 17 Member
    Hi Firestorm, congrats on your weight loss. You've lost a lot of weight quickly. Are you still losing as steadily? Did. My fitness pal contribute to your weight loss? Wow
  • SkinnyGirlCarrie
    SkinnyGirlCarrie Posts: 259 Member
    Hi, I'm 38 and have used MFP successfully!

Ht: 5'10"
    SW: 191
    CW: 165
    GW: 150ish

I started out at the beginning of Feb and tracked everything, even when I went over. I started out walking 3x a week for 45 min then increased up to 5-6x a week for 1-1.5 hours. I want to be toned so I've recently started incorporating strength training and backing off the treadmill by using fitnessblender.com and sometimes I even jog. I still log pretty much everything, I did take a Sat off when I went for a girls weekend (tho still checked in here so I wouldn't lose my streak!). Recently I had to readjust my settings to be closer to what was on the IIFYM website - MFP still had me eating a 1200 cal diet and it was just too restrictive with all my exercising. I am now up to 1600 a day and starting to lose again. It definitely takes tweaking along the way. I'm also at a point where I don't care so much about the number on the scale if I stayed the weight I am now but continue to lose inches that's perfectly fine too :happy:

Good luck to you! I've found MFP to really help this time around as I've added some friends and the support is really nice. Feel free to add me if you're looking for supportive friends.
  • taachfitness
    Hi Carrie, I feel really happy for you, it must feel awesome to be doing so well. Were you eating 1200 calories a day when you lost all the weight? I exercise ok, could be better, but where I really struggle is to keep within the 1200 calories recommended by My Fitness Pal. I exercise approximately 5 hours a week. So far, I've been eating back the exercise calories and then some. The calories add up so fast, I need to keep motivated.
  • melissamccarron1
    melissamccarron1 Posts: 4 Member
    I began my weight loss journey (again) on June 28, 2014. I'm 5' 7 and started at 176.8lbs. I started at FXB and began tracking my food on here. I eat 5-6 small meals everyday (I even get a cheat day), kickbox M,W & F and do strength training T, Thur and Sat. It has been quite the journey so far. It's amazing how much stonger I am already getting and can't wait to see the results at the end. If I can do it so can YOU!. Good luck! :)
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    I'm 5'8, 163. I did the same thing you are doing, got to 160 and then thought I would see. Because I like round numbers, I'm aiming to lose a little bit more.
  • nessa2BFit
    nessa2BFit Posts: 155 Member
    I am 5'9 and weigh 181 at the moment... my ultimate goal is to get to 155-160... i am standing still at the moment just kinda maintaining but i know i will get there... i have lost 99 lbs since jan 2013!
  • kwatkin
    kwatkin Posts: 81 Member
    5'9, 183 here! My issues come from the kitchen, I'm not very good at staying on track, but I'm trying my best.
    I teach cardio kickboxing and I've also been doing a lot of intense strength training for the past ~8 weeks... I'm seeing some good muscle changes (arms are looking good!) but the scale has not budged! Hoping I'm going to lose some more inches (just 1" loss in the belly so far). I know inches are more important, but I also know that my "regular/healthy" weight shouldn't still sit at 183 even if I replace all my fat with muscle I shouldn't weight that much I think lol. Let's do this!!
  • taachfitness
    Thanks Melissa. We can do this! :happy:
  • taachfitness
    Good job, Angieroo2
  • SkinnyGirlCarrie
    SkinnyGirlCarrie Posts: 259 Member
    When I first started I try to stay within my calorie range which was about 1400 to start, at least on most days, plus some exercise calories. I hear that MFP overestimates calories and people recommend not eating them all. Sometimes I did, sometimes I didn't. Before starting in Feb tho I was waaaasay overeating, so the weight came of quickly once I did start logging and really watching what I ate, at least the first 18lbs or so. After I lost 10lbs MFP downgraded me to 1280 and then again to 1200, which is way too little. I had to adjust my settings from sedentary to lightly active and also adjust to lose 1lb a week instead of the 2. Much more manageable. Lately I've found protein shakes help in the afternoon, that's my worst grazing time lol, just getting home from work/school with the kids and making them snacks. But the protein powder plus a cup of 1% milk and ice in the blender has been working well for me. It fills me up and feels like a treat, plus if I have it before my workout I am much less ravenous afterwards.

Did you read the sexypants post? That one is pretty helpful
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • taachfitness
    Hi momi2ashlynn, congrats on losing 99 pounds. That's amazing considering how difficult it is to lose 1. Our goals from here are pretty similar. What changes do you think need to be made for you to keep on losing?
  • taachfitness
    Thanks, kwatkin. Let's do this!
  • klight1236
    klight1236 Posts: 69 Member
    Um i'm 5'9 and 140 so we're closish. Your closer to my twin she was 210 but she lost 10 pounds and is 200.
  • mc_goose
    mc_goose Posts: 1,128 Member
    Hi all,
    I'm in a similar place... I'm 5'8" in the mid-upper 160s and trying to get to 160. Been on MFP twice now. For the past 15 days I have logged everything, been active, probably eaten back too many exercise calories although I do use a heart rate monitor and Wahoo app. I like longer-distance cycling, and I love Turbo Kick at the gym (only thing that I do that will burn over 500 calories in an hour). I am lucky to have NET calories of 1600 after accounting for exercise. Not a 1200 girl here - although that is probably the reason for lack of progress :)
    Best wishes to all, and keep trying!
  • taachfitness
    Hi mc_goose, my calories before I log exercise is 1200. Not after. Net calories with exercise can get up to 1900 or so, problem is that I eat them all back. Others have recommended eating back only a portion of the exercise calories and then we should see some progress :)
  • taachfitness
    Hi klight, you look great! Good job! Best wishes to your twin.
  • dswolverine
    dswolverine Posts: 246 Member
    Hello! 5'9", 29, and weighed 185 or thereabouts in high school. I also didn't work out so little of that was muscle. I'm currently about 150-152lbs and was told that if i lost more, I'd look 'skeletal.' Not sure if I agree with that, but it sounds like we have similar body types. I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE mfp! The calorie counting helped -and still helps- me keep on track and the forums really provide a wealth of information and tips. Good luck reaching your goals!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    I am pretty close right now...5'8" 177 lb. I am trying to get to 162.

Feel free to add me if you like. I started at a high weight of 307 though so it's a lot different than being this size to start, I'd imagine! But I am also in that zone where my loss is slowing a lot (as it should be, IMO).

Cheers!
  • nessa2BFit
    nessa2BFit Posts: 155 Member
    for me i need to get back to counting the calories... i have made major changes in my life and have kinda gone into maintance mode for the last 3 months but i am ready to get back to business. I am adding strength training back to my workouts as i want to tone as i lose. Running for me has been a major win! i never thought i would be a runner but i now run 30 min almost every morning before work at 430 am !!! lol for me my calories i try to keep around 1400 to 1500 and i will lose weight as long as i am excercises 30 min a day and drinking water!