Eating every 2-3 hours

Options
Hello everyone! I have heard for many years how instead of eating three big meals, people should eat very small meals about every 2-3 hours. I want to try this, and I am wondering if anyone else does this successfully, and what they eat. Thank you!

Replies

• Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Are you planning on doing this because you want to or you feel that you need to do it in order to lose weight?
  • JoeCampbell85
    Options
    It's a fine thing to try and see if it works for you. It may make you feel more satiated. Just don't expect it to aid directly in weight loss as opposed to eating every 5 hours, or 6 hours, or whatever.

TrialNurse did a little research:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23404961

CONCLUSION: We conclude that increasing meal frequency from three to six per day has no significant effect on 24-h fat oxidation, but may increase hunger and the desire to eat.

It wont hurt you but just don't let it stress you out! If you would like to try it then you just eat normally but split the calories up. Each meal (if 5) will be about 300 calories for you. Smaller portions, more often.
  • beertrollruss
    beertrollruss Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I eat about 6 times a day. Please feel free to check out my diary. I eat the same breakfast lunch and daytime snacks every week day. My daytime snack is 2 meals. Half of a muscle milk around 10 and the other half around 4. I like eating this way.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    I do. I have to or I get ravenously hungry
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    meal timing and frequency is largely irrelevant...the whole "stoking the metabolism" thing is a myth. If it helps you stay on track then that's groovy...if it helps moderate your blood sugar levels, that's groovy...but don't expect this to ramp up your metabolic rate in any substantial way.

I myself eat every few hours and have for years...I ate this way when I was getting fat...I ate this way when I was fat...and I ate this way while I was losing weight.
  • MyMalfunction7
    MyMalfunction7 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I generally eat 5-ish small meals a day. I think the general idea is just to do whatever keeps you satisfied and happy while dieting, and for me, it's eating very often when I can, but small meals. My diary is open, feel free to check it out - I keep the two extra meals in the snacks section.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I do. I have to or I get ravenously hungry

This is exactly me. I eat 5 times a day, maybe 6 if I go for an after dinner snack. No matter how often you eat, you still have to make the correct choices and stay within your goals in order to lose weight.. Simple as that.
  • JoeCampbell85
    Options
    I generally eat 5-ish small meals a day. I think the general idea is just to do whatever keeps you satisfied and happy while dieting, and for me, it's eating very often when I can, but small meals. My diary is open, feel free to check it out - I keep the two extra meals in the snacks section.

You can relabel or expand your meal list (up to six I believe).