Losing too fast with intermittent fasting?

KimMc60
KimMc60 Posts: 112 Member
I started 14:10 intermittent fasting about 3-4 weeks ago and I love it. While it broke my plateau after 3 months, now I'm a little worried I may be losing weight too quickly. On June 26 I weighed 137.4lbs, and today, almost two weeks later, I weighed in at 134lbs. I know weight loss is always faster at the beginning of a program and then slows down, but shouldn't I only be losing around half a pound a week when I'm only around 15lbs away from my goal weight? (I'm 5'4).

My TDEE is around 2200 and my BMR is 1400. I've been netting 1600 calories lately. Should I try eating more? However, I am worried about this because last time I tried bumping up my calories to 1700-1800, it was what led me to my plateau, but that was before intermittent fasting.

Or should I just keep doing what I'm doing and wait for the weight loss to slow naturally, since it has only been about three weeks since I started IF.

I would appreciate any advice you could share on this. Thanks!

Replies

• Italiana_xx79
    Italiana_xx79 Posts: 588 Member
    Hi, I know this won't help you but I was trying to look into the intermittent fasting and 14/10 and was wondering if you could message me and give me a little idea on how you do it.

Thanks!!:smile:
  • KimMc60
    Hi, I know this won't help you but I was trying to look into the intermittent fasting and 14/10 and was wondering if you could message me and give me a little idea on how you do it.

Sure!!
  • dnmoehring
    dnmoehring Posts: 64 Member

^^Me too please! I've always been curious about intermittant fasting.

I have limited knowledge, but think you're probably just adjusting to a difference in routine, and I always lose weight faster when I try something new and different, and then my body slows down over time. Plus, if you've been eating right and exercising, I don't think it is a terrible thing to lose weight fast, as long as you know you're not just doing a crash diet and will gain it all back when you start eating normal. And this doesn't sound that way, so I'm sure it will slow naturally. Good job on all your loss!
  • KimMc60

^^Me too please! I've always been curious about intermittant fasting.

I have limited knowledge, but think you're probably just adjusting to a difference in routine, and I always lose weight faster when I try something new and different, and then my body slows down over time. Plus, if you've been eating right and exercising, I don't think it is a terrible thing to lose weight fast, as long as you know you're not just doing a crash diet and will gain it all back when you start eating normal. And this doesn't sound that way, so I'm sure it will slow naturally. Good job on all your loss!

Thanks for the help! I'm gonna wait it out for a couple more weeks and see how it goes. I'll message you about IF! :)
  • lindzgayle
    lindzgayle Posts: 131 Member
    Can I also get a copy/paste on what you're doing to lose fat during IF? I would appreciate it!
  • I too am restarting IF after an initial unsuccessful attempt at 5:2. I assume 14:10 means 14 hours of not eating/fasting? Sorry, but in simple terms, does that not equate to skipping breakfast?
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    I too am restarting IF after an initial unsuccessful attempt at 5:2. I assume 14:10 means 14 hours of not eating/fasting? Sorry, but in simple terms, does that not equate to skipping breakfast?

Skipping breakfast is how most people do it. Other people like eating earlier in the day and having their sleep period come at the end of their fasting period rather than the beginning.
  • jamien604
    jamien604 Posts: 11 Member
    You sound like you're already getting amazing results don't overthink it.

A lot of things people talk about, like making sure you eat enough calories or youll stall out or gain back the weight has nothing to do with science or nutrition at all. It has to do with human habits. If you actually get into supervised medical weight loss they will put people on way lower calorie diets then what everyone here would think is acceptable but it works and its fine for your health. When people undereat out in the real world though and no one is there to control what they eat they end up binging afterwards. If you're able to stick to your calorie goals you've set for yourself and youre getting great results don't change what you're doing. Don't worry about some arbitrary number some random uneducated person on some blog or forum post said. Everybody is different, stick with what is working for you.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    I too am restarting IF after an initial unsuccessful attempt at 5:2. I assume 14:10 means 14 hours of not eating/fasting? Sorry, but in simple terms, does that not equate to skipping breakfast?
    yeah.

and you still have to eat at a def every day just as if you did eat breakfast.

Most fasting programs in the truest sense of the word fast for a day, eat for a day. You basically restrict cals to 500 on one day, eat atyour TDEE the next or however many times you wanna do it.

To me, the 16:8 and this version in this thread is just like skipping BF and still having to eat at the def, which for me is 1500/day whereas the truest fasting is eating up to 500 on one day, and my TDEE of 2500 the next.

This way is akin to those who say the eat a modified version of paleo, or vegetarian, or gluten free.

People just like to say they are eating some special fashion and if they dont fit into any certain category they say they are doing a modified version of any said way.
  • I'm going to be brave and modify it slightly. I'm going to do a 'fast day' of 500 cals 2 days a week from 4pm to 4pm i.e. skipping/reducing dinner, then breakfast and lunch the next day; but trying average of 1600cals a day for the purposes of logging. That gives a weekly cal intake of 11,200, which is close to the original 11,000 weekly calorie intake of 5:2 for women. I'm going to try and not eat as much as 500 calls on fast days, and stay below 1600 mostly as that is quite generous and should maintain a deficit. Also, if I accidentally overeat for meals out etc(which we all do) I should be able to compensate for, or do a 4:3 quite easily.
    I tried 5:2 previously, lost about about a lb in 4 weeks due to overeating on eat days and was incredibly moody on fast days. This way, I'll still get decent meals every day and will log on MFP to check my eat days. Also, all the calorie-dense healthy foods I love like nuts/seeds/avocados will be easier to accommodate rather than restricting every day. Make sense? I think so...
    I'm struggling with TDEE at the mo cos my activity is reduced due to knee surgery 2 weeks ago, but food is the real thing I need to conquer, and activity will follow :)
    Wish me luck!