Sweet Potatoes

Options
wibutterflymagic
wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
I like sweet potatoes but the only way I ever make them is baked with some butter and brown sugar.

I need some other ideas please.

thanks!

Replies

• MelisMusing
    MelisMusing Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Sweet potato hash is deeelish. Fries too. I have some recipes here: http://www.pinterest.com/melismusing/paleorific/
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I like them steamed in the microwave with cinnamon and butter (plain cinnamon no sugar)
    Or hasselbacked in the over with salt, pepper, garlic, and olive oil
    Or sliced into fries and backed
    Or sliced in chips and baked
  • WonkaCat
    WonkaCat Posts: 42
    Options
    I steam them in the microwave also and just add a bit of cinnamon and nutmeg. They taste so sinfully delicious. I also will mash them and add the cinnamon and nutmeg and eat it like a cold pudding.
  • fullersun35
    fullersun35 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I cube sweet potatoes and fry them in a pan with a little butter. When done, put in bowl with a 1/2 c of cottage cheese on top.
  • kbear621
    kbear621 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I like them Mashed with a little sea-salt..they are too sweet to add more sugar! I also love them cut into fries and baked with a little sea-salt and cracked black pepper, they make their own crispy outside you don't even have to coat them!
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I made the best thing last night!

I used two tiny peeled sweet potatoes (219 grams).

Pre-heat oven to 450 (in hindsight, that was a bit too much).

Chop potatoes until very small (I like to make them real small cause they cook faster).

Add 1 tsp coconut oil, and a few shakes of Rosemary, Thyme, Cayenne and red pepper.

Then I sprinkled 1/2 cup (14 grams) of Parmesan cheese (just because I had 50 kcal left!)

It came out absolutely delicious, the bomb, to die for!

It will be repeated.

Serves 1.
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Cut into chunks and roasted with olive oil, salt and oregano.
  • PowerfulHunt
    PowerfulHunt Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    This was posted a couple weeks ago by another user. I made it &... amazing! I only used 3 sweet potatoes & got about 4 servings at 330 cals each.

Cranberry Sweet Potatoes (slow cooker) :

1/2 cup of butter melted
    1/4 cup of orange juice
    1/4 cup of brown sugar
    2 tsp of cinnamon
    1/2 tsp of salt
    5 lb of sweet potatoes wash peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
    1 cup of sweetened dried cranberries
    Combine all ingredients into crock pot stir to coat sweet potatoes with butter mixture cover and cook on high 3 - 4 hours till sweet potatoes are soft mash sweet potatoes serve warm
  • scottkjar
    scottkjar Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I cut them to 2.4 ounces, wrap in aluminum foil, and bake. Then I toss them all into the fridge. As a snack, I just eat them cold.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I put a medium-large one (peeled, diced small) in with my crock pot oatmeal along with a granny smith apple, ground ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg. YUM!
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Fabulous ideas! Thanks everyone! I'd totally forgotten that I have made them with EVOO, rosemary and garlic. Adding Parm sounds wonderful.

Looking forward to tonights dinner!
  • ksuetorres
    ksuetorres Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes are also delicious -- RAW!!! Cut them into sticks like carrots or celery, eat with or without a dip. You'll be surprised!
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Cut into sticks or slices and drizzled with olive oil then baked

Or

Topped with melted marshmallows
  • ashthecat15
    ashthecat15 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Sweet potato fries! Mmm... So good.
  • rageginger
    rageginger Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    following!
  • ashthecat15
    ashthecat15 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    You inspired me. I just made some sweet potato fries. 5 oz sweet potato cut into fry like shape. 1 tsp coconut oil, sprinkle of cinnamon, and sprinkle of salt. Bake at 425 10 mins flip over and bake for 10 mins again. Crazy good! Switching the cinnamon out for black pepper if you like a little kick.
  • cosmichvoyager
    cosmichvoyager Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    they go great with soft goat cheese. A mushroom, sweet potato goat cheese quesadilla would be good.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried eating them baked without the butter and sugar? They're delicious! I bake them until they are leaking juices (I put them on a baking tray to save my oven :wink:), usually about 90 minutes. Let them cool for a bit, then scoop them out of the skins. It feels like such a decadent treat, they're creamy and smooth and have natural sweetness (it honestly feels to me like I'm eating pudding! lol)
  • IndecisiveGirl2013
    IndecisiveGirl2013 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Sweet potato fries are tasty. I normally sprinkle over olive oil and loads of smoked paprika. Sometimes garlic too.
    There's a recipe for sweet potato tuna cakes from the Protein Chef on youtube as well that's really good.