tips?

Options
currently midway through my 7th week of my lifestyle changes, 32 pounds down which averages about to 4.5 pounds a week, although i lost 8 pounds my first week (assuming it was mostly water weight) that means i've actually lost 24 pounds in 6 weeks, which is about 4 pounds a week. i'm 6'4 and do not have a lanky build at all

just wondering does my diet seem healthy to you? i eat around 1000-1200 calories a day and it's only good foods, lots of fruit and vegetables, lean meats and carbs once a day. usually have 1-2 servings of protein per meal whether it be beans, eggs, chicken, beef, etc. i also go on runs/walks 4-6 times a week and usually burn 400-700 calories

i started off at 270 pounds and am currently at 236.3 as of today, my initial goal was 220 but i feel that i won't have lost all the fat on me at 220 so my new goal is 210. do you think it would be possible to lose the remaining 27 pounds within the next 8 weeks? or does that seem too unhealthy?

also does anyone have any information on losing stomach fat? i know that losing 25 pounds makes a huge difference appearance wise but i can't seem to believe that all my stomach fat will go away within the next 25 pounds. what do you guys think?

Replies

• Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    You're severely under eating.

By the time you hit your goal you will be skinny fat with no muscle.
  • zforgc
    zforgc Posts: 8
    Options
    so do you suggest i start working out and eating more instead of just running and decreasing my calories?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    just wondering does my diet seem healthy to you? i eat around 1000-1200 calories a day and it's only good foods, lots of fruit and vegetables, lean meats and carbs once a day. usually have 1-2 servings of protein per meal whether it be beans, eggs, chicken, beef, etc. i also go on runs/walks 4-6 times a week and usually burn 400-700 calories

It's really hard, if not impossible, to judge whether or not a diet is healthy out of context. All of those foods sound great, but quantity matters. Are you getting enough protein to retain and repair your lean muscle mass? Are you getting enough fats for your health? Are you at a good calorie goal for your size? Are you logging those foods and calorie burns accurately? Does this style of eating help you achieve your weight loss and fitness goals? etc, etc.

Opening your diary might help us to put your food choices into context. Otherwise we're mostly just guessing.
  • zforgc
    Options
    according to my recommended grams of protein per day it says i'm eating the proper percentage if not a bit more everyday, everything is being logged accurately and i'm never really hungry other than late at night because i stop eating by at least 9pm and sleep very late like 2-4am, i'm eating roughly every 1-2 hours and drinking at least 2Ls of water a day also
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    To echo the above poster, you're undereating. Doesn't matter which "good" or "bad" foods you're eating.

It would be more helpful in the long run to eat a reasonable caloric deficit and to resistance train to retain what precious LBM you have left.
  • diannethegeek
    Options
    according to my recommended grams of protein per day it says i'm eating the proper percentage if not a bit more everyday, everything is being logged accurately and i'm never really hungry other than late at night because i stop eating by at least 9pm and sleep very late like 2-4am, i'm eating roughly every 1-2 hours and drinking at least 2Ls of water a day also

I just want to point out that when you eat has very little affect on your weight loss or health. If you honestly prefer to not eat after 9pm or to eat every 1-2 hours then that's great. But it has no bearing on your weight loss.

I point out accuracy because it's one of the largest problems we see here when people ask why they're not losing. Between inaccurate measuring tools like measuring cups and misentered items in the food database, it's tough to be sure of how much you're eating.

Also, MFP's protein default is set a little low for most people. I usually recommend that people should be in the red every day on protein (and fat really, too), but you can do your own research on that if you want.
  • diannethegeek
    Options
    i started off at 270 pounds and am currently at 236.3 as of today, my initial goal was 220 but i feel that i won't have lost all the fat on me at 220 so my new goal is 210. do you think it would be possible to lose the remaining 27 pounds within the next 8 weeks? or does that seem too unhealthy?

1-2 pounds per week is a safe rate of loss, and with 27 pounds to lose you'll want to aim closer to 1 pound per week. 27 pounds in 8 weeks would be pushing it.
    also does anyone have any information on losing stomach fat? i know that losing 25 pounds makes a huge difference appearance wise but i can't seem to believe that all my stomach fat will go away within the next 25 pounds. what do you guys think?

Having or not having stomach fat tends to be a matter of body fat percentage. You want to lose the weight in fat and retain as much muscle as possible. That usually means a small deficit (slower weight loss), ample protein, and some form of resistance training.
  • zforgc
    Options
    Really? isn't it good to eat often so your body keeps burning off the foods so your metabolism increases?
    majority of the things i eat have nutritional value charts on it so it's all very accurate, when it comes to the foods that do not have the nutritional value charts i measure them or weigh them on a scale and always record a bit more than i ate, just in case im off by some calories, so this way whatever i see on the scale is more than i expected (in regards to losing weight) alongside when im burning calories i always record having burned a bit less (sometimes i burn 600 and only record it as 400)
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    just in for the tips
  • diannethegeek
    Options
    Really? isn't it good to eat often so your body keeps burning off the foods so your metabolism increases?

That's an old myth. Meal timing, breakfast, eating late, etc. won't affect your weight loss (barring any medical complications). It may affect your mood, energy levels, hunger, gym performance, etc. Some people do really well on 6 small meals a day and others prefer only one or two larger meals. It's okay to play around and find the type of meal schedule that's right for you.
  • baba_helly
    baba_helly Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    just in for the tips

currently accepting tips as well
  • tag624
    tag624 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    just in for the tips

currently accepting tips as well

me too!
  • Debbjones
    Debbjones Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Wow... your calorie intake is equivalent to mine... and I am a 105 pound, 5'3" female! Yeah, I suspect you are eating too little! Yes you will see a huge weight loss, but , without being an expert and in just my opinion (MIND YOU... I absolutely hate it when people tell me I am eating too little so this was a very difficult reply for me...) I think you need to increase your calorie intake.

Best of luck to you...
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTjqgztJCXwhgGrKZTMEQWomDBqZYWne8dtdRpXOgSk4hnEOSiZHA

OP, are you eating at a reasonable protein minimum (like, say, 0.8g-1g/LBM) or the woefully low default MFP-recommended amount?
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    eat more, for one.

as far as belly fat goes....idk if its been mentioned, but you can't choose where the fat comes from.
    lower your overall BF% (with healthy sustainable caloric deficit and exercise if you'd like), and eventually it will disappear from there.

read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    You're undereating no doubt. You'll probably rebound soon, unfortunately. That's just how it goes with crash diets.

How tall are you btw?
  • levicrouch
    levicrouch Posts: 99
    Options
    tl:dr:
    Try a moving to a moderate calorie reduction, add some strength training, and measure your progress.

While i am not as tall as you (i am 6'0) i started at a similar weight, similar diet, and similar workout. I went on a medically supervised diet where the calories were ~1200 calories a day. Looking back, i realize it was too low of calories (exacerbated by the running and training for half and full marathons). I lost quite a bit of weight, (down to about 180lbs). I feel that i needed to see the results of my effort to stick with it.

Now that i have maintained my weight for a while i am realizing that i have a different goal now. I just want to look good without a shirt on, have the strength and stamina to compete in various sports, and be able to eat what i enjoy.

What i have found to work, is a moderate (no more than 10%-20%) calorie reduction per day, add strength training, the scale won't move much each week, so be patient, and take body measurements to help reassure yourself that you are progressing.

Whether you stick with a net calorie approach (where you net a certain number of calories each day (eating back exercise calories, using MFP as it was intended) or move to TDEE doesn't matter much (IMO). Just know how each one works and apply it consistently.

ETA: Even if you do not do TDEE, try to hit 40% calories from fat, 40% calories from protein, the rest from carbs (20%) that does seem help give your body the nutrients it needs.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    You're undereating no doubt. You'll probably rebound soon, unfortunately. That's just how it goes with crash diets.

How tall are you btw?

He's 6'4

Eat more - lift heavy stuff. At the rate you are going you will be losing a large amount of muscle with the fat - not good at all.

Read this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants