• Firemansam79
    Firemansam79 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Booker's
    Bakers
    Basil Hayden
    Knob Creek

Nice, the small batch collection.

All are great. Add Makers Mark and Evan to it and I'm set. Evan treats my wallet nicer.

I've been into bourbon and scotch barrel aged beers lately. So I have had less strait up bourbons.
  • JupeJones
    JupeJones Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    or The Glenlivet 21 - lighter, sweeter and a bit cheaper than The Macallan 18.

Well if we're talking Highland/Speyside, let's not forget about Glenmorangie!
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    or The Glenlivet 21 - lighter, sweeter and a bit cheaper than The Macallan 18.

Well if we're talking Highland/Speyside, let's not forget about Glenmorangie!

Or Oban! Mmmm smokey and delicious.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Bulleit! Yum. Also, I love me some Makers Mark.

Tried Bulleit at a whiskey bar in Vermont, loved it, bought a bottle when I got home.

If you're into your sweet whiskeys, don't neglect the world of Irish Whiskey either ..
  • Army_Of_One
    Army_Of_One Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I still remember sharing the Woodford Reserve (bottle) with you and watching Sci-Fi 'B' movies. Great to have good memories like that! Good booze - a great friend!
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Best value for the $: Eagle Rare and Buffalo Trace
    Best hard-to-get: Pappy of any kind (the Rye is outstanding)
    Basically I like things made at the Buffalo Trace distillery apparently. And I also really liked the tour there. The Maker's tour there was also fun.

Love the buffalo trace cream liqueur too! It's like a tastier bailey's with bourbon flavors. And made with real cream.

Lately I've been on a rye kick moreso. So happy that Templeton Rye is easy to find these days.
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    Reiterating how awesome the Bulliet line is.

Also loving Jameson's 18 year, Glenmorangie, Power's Gold...

And I'm going to throw a rum in the mix just because I love whiskies, and normally hate rum (exception: cooking), but this rum is the sippable whisk(e)y of rums - Zaya. Holy effing incrediblepants. It was almost a lifechanger it's so good.
  • random_user75
    random_user75 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    If we're delving into Irish, Redbreast is delicious.

I loves me some pot-stilled hooch.
  • GhostriderMav
    GhostriderMav Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Basil Hayden and Eagle Rare and the new Jim Beam 12 year,
    also ****el white label
  • PurringMyrrh
    Options
    Not sure where everyone resides, but if you have a BevMo! or Total Wine store close by, I suggest a jaunt through the bourbon and whisk(e)y section. *Homer drool*
  • random_user75
    Options
    also ****el white label

Love the censorship. We use D1ckel as our standard rye (green label).
  • GhostriderMav
    GhostriderMav Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    also ****el white label

Love the censorship. We use D1ckel as our standard rye (green label).

Seriously censored that!!! wow
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I totally want to do this bourbon trail thing.
  • PurringMyrrh
    Options
    On a side note, cheers everybody! Found these Bulliet glasses for a dime each at the flea market. Love the fact they have centiliter measurements etched in and they're oblong like the bottles.
    Bulleit.jpg
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    I'm also a huge fan of Scotch and Japanese whiskey. My favorites are Lagavulin, Oban, and Hibiki.

Oh I love they peaty stuff. I won't say no to any of the ones from the south coast of Islay (Lagavulin, Laphroaig, and Arbeg), and I'll add Talisker to that list since it's like one of their long-lost cousins.

And if you want to talk blended Scotch, my go-to is Teacher's, which has a healthy dose of Ardmore for a lovely peaty undertone.

I only recently dipped my toe (figuratively) into Japanese whiskies. Had a glass of Yamazaki that blew my mind.

I remember when Talisker was one of the reasonably priced choices. Not so much anymore. I find myself buying Rye whiskey sometimes to save a buck as even bourbon is starting to get pricey. Scotch has gotten so out of control that I find myself wanting to remind people that I'm drinking not buying investments.
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I totally want to do this bourbon trail thing.

It is fun but way different than a Napa/Sonoma wine tasting trail situation. The distilleries are a fair ways apart from each other, and the liquor laws are pretty stringent in most areas. You are restricted to some really tiny tasting size - I want to say 0.5 ounces total. The tours are a lot more fun than any winery tour I have seen, though.
  • Wuggums
    Wuggums Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Hmm...I think I've tried almost everything listed in this thread (bourbon and whiskey in general are my one big vice). My current favorites are Eagle Rare and Hudson's Baby Bourbon. After a trip to Ireland a few weeks back, I've also developed a fondness for Irish Whiskey - specifically Redbreast 12 and Bushmill's Distillery Reserve.

And I live a stone's throw away from most of the big KY distilleries - planning a trip to the Bourbon Trail this summer. And I'll work off the bourbon by doing most of it by bike!
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    I have been told recently that i must try Bourbon, and re-try a Manhattan by someone who makes them right!

So this whiskey girl is taking the suggestions too!
  • Wuggums
    Wuggums Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I remember when Talisker was one of the reasonably priced choices. Not so much anymore. I find myself buying Rye whiskey sometimes to save a buck as even bourbon is starting to get pricey. Scotch has gotten so out of control that I find myself wanting to remind people that I'm drinking not buying investments.

So true...I had a chance to try a gorgeous Midleton Extra Rare (2012) recently. Stopped in a shop in Dublin just to check out some prices, and some of the earlier vintages of it were upwards of $3,000 per BOTTLE!!
  • random_user75
    Options
    I have been told recently that i must try Bourbon, and re-try a Manhattan by someone who makes them right!

So this whiskey girl is taking the suggestions too!

In my opinion, a Manhattan is properly made with rye. You also want to make sure you have a quality sweet vermouth. I'm a big fan of Carpano Antica. Add a dash of bitters and an orange twist (or Luxardo maraschino cherry if you prefer), and you have a lovely drink. Dang, I still have to go to the gym before it's cocktail hour!