Ideas for quick lunch please

Options
Katybun3
Katybun3 Posts: 172
I work in a busy hospital and get half an hour for lunch. I need recipes that I don't have to make on the spot. I've totally run out of ideas and don't want to stray to the readily available tins of biscuits and chocs that patients family regularly bring us in. Look forward to your input :happy:

Replies

• i am the same only get a short lunch. i love to use sandwich wraps with tonnes of healthy filling and salad! such as, tuna mayo and sweetcorn ( with salad) egg mayo and salad ham and cheese and salad melted cheese and tomato! yum making me feel hungry now!
  • omgsayalathieo
    Options
    I've recently started eating Smart Ones...pretty good & a big selection. Usually about 250 calories and if you use Weight Watcher usually around 2-4 points.
  • Katybun3
    Options
    I actually bought some wraps today. Not tried them before so looking forward to trying them :0)
  • SerendipityGrace
    Options
    I throw together something I found at whole foods -- tunafish, cranberries, celery, cottage cheese, sliced almonds -- yum :)
  • saphire76
    saphire76 Posts: 102
    Options
    I just got a recipe from Jillian Michales out of the self magazine. ( a lot of recipes). split an whole wheat english muffin top it with diced tomatoes and part skim mozzarella cheese and broil for 3 minutes. mini pizzas! I put baby spinach on the bottom of mine and had a cup of grapes. enjoy!!
  • ricksnaustin
    ricksnaustin Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Here a spicy chicken wrap recipe of mine. Nothing real original but it is quick and easy to take for lunch. Each wrap is about 274 calories.

4 oz of grilled or broiled chicken breast
    4 grape tomatoes sliced in thirds
    1 TBSP of Weber Grill Creations - Kick'n Chicken Seasoning
    1 half cup of shredded iceberg lettuce
    1 Flatout Bread - Flatbread Multi-Grain With Flax
    1 TBSP of Kraft Light Raspberry Vinaigrette Reduced Fat Dressing

Trim all the fat off of the boneless-skinless chicken breast and slice into strips. Season with Weber Kick'n Chicken seasoning. Grill or broil chicken until done. While chicken is cooking, slice tomatoes and shred lettuce. Lay flatbread on a plate and add lettuce. Add 1 tbsp of Light Raspberry Vinaigrette Reduced Fat Dressing. Add tomatoes and chicken. Fold ingredients to make a wrap. Makes 1 Kick'n Chicken wrap.

Let me know of you like it. :-)
  • mnasoccer
    Options
    I too am a nurse in a busy hospital, a half hour lunch doesn't cut the 12 hour shift. :) I found myself snacking throughout the day on the fly. I now bring my lunch everyday, and have saved a lot of money (our cafeteria is overly priced). Some things I bring:

-Boca Burgers- I am not a vegan, but I love the easiness of these, and low calories. 70 calories, pop in microwave for a few minutes, then I put on a 100 calorie sandwich thing, with lettuce and mustard. I toss in a yogurt, and some special K crackers (17 crackers for 90 calories). Total for lunch is 340 calories.

-Tuna salad, light on the mayo.
    -Progresso light soups, they are wonderful, and usually 80-110 calories per serving. \
    -Leftovers, leftovers, leftovers. :)

-Quick veggie pizza- crescent rolls, make as indicated on package, (take 11min), top with Neufchâtel cream cheese, and cut up broccoli, cauliflower, etc. Super good, and usually about 125 calories per slice, and you get a lot of vegg in that meal. ((I pre-make the crescent rolls and keep the cream cheese and sour cream mix in a tub in fridge, I always have cut up vegg on hand, so its a quick go to meal when I don't have time to prepare something.))
  • mnasoccer
    Options
    ......... oh and to prevent me from snacking throughout the day, I bring extra Special K crackers, and grapes. :)
  • javamom
    javamom Posts: 309
    Options
    I take 2 small Mission Carb Balance Plus tortillas, deli meat, and 2 slices of cheese and microwave the for warm wraps full of melted cheese! Sometimes I add lettuce and salsa, etc.
  • purplespeckle
    Options
    i like having a bologna sandwich and cottage cheese
  • Amanda_T
    Options
    I am a hairstylist and run into that problem all the time! Its super hard for me when my day is super booked, so i always have a small serving of raw walnuts, low fat yogurt, and a piece of fruit so I dont splurge when I do get the chance to shove a meal in my mouth either b4 the next client or on my way home.
  • nilisabel
    nilisabel Posts: 338
    Options
    Fiber One granola bars are delish with coffee for a quick snack, like 140 calories. Just make sure you drink plenty of water during the day. Also I love burritos, the mission low carb tortillas are awesome with some fat free refried beans (you can easily make 'em yourself - just get a can of black beans and partially blend/smash the beans and reheat with water (if rinsed) or the juice in the can (if not on low-sodium diet). put the refried beans on the tortilla, add a slice of reduced fat or thin cut cheese, some canned tuna or chicken, and calovera has 40 cal per 2 tbsp guacamole, shredded lettuce and salsa. I usually make 'em in advance like on a Sunday, along with tuna noodle casserole, and whatever else takes more than a second to prepare. I individually wrap the servings, then just grab and go all week.
  • markymark39
    Options
    another vote for a wrap - i have one most days for lunch along with an apple and orange (or another fruit in season). quick toi make and eat on the run if necessary.

- 1 Flatout Bread - Flatbread Multi-Grain With Flax

- 2-3 slices of smoked turkey

- 1/2 avacado

- alphalfa sprouts and/or lettuce
  • rinren84
    rinren84 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    The Healthy choice steaming entrees are actually really good. Any of them! I particularly love the Sesame chicken (tastes like take out) and Roasted Chicken Verde (add a little extra taco sauce or salsa). Yum!
  • Katybun3
    Options
    Thanks guys. Some wonderful ideas there. Will give them a go. I have been sticking with the same old boring lunches and not varying at all. 
  • ratchet999
    Options
    Tonight for my lunch I had a Green Giant Steamer frozen veggie bag. The roasted potatoes and green beans with a butter sauce. Super good, and I think it was only 100 calories for 3/4 cup. Super easy, and about $2!
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    When I need to take a lunch with me I roll a burrito.

1 Mission Wrap --- I like the sun-dried tomato basil
    1/2 tsp sour cream --- spread a wide stripe
    1 tbsp salsa --- spread on sour cream
    1 tbsp chopped onion
    1 slice red tomato - diced
    1 big pinch Mexican blend cheese
    1/4 cup meat --- I brown ground turkey and add Taco Bell taco seasoning
    baby spinach

Can nuke it(rolled up) for 30 seconds or so to warm up the meat.

Check my diary for the numbers on the ingredients. 340 calories total.
  • ratchet999
    Options
    When I need to take a lunch with me I roll a burrito.

1 Mission Wrap --- I like the sun-dried tomato basil
    1/2 tsp sour cream --- spread a wide stripe
    1 tbsp salsa --- spread on sour cream
    1 tbsp chopped onion
    1 slice red tomato - diced
    1 big pinch Mexican blend cheese
    1/4 cup meat --- I brown ground turkey and add Taco Bell taco seasoning
    baby spinach

Can nuke it(rolled up) for 30 seconds or so to warm up the meat.

Check my diary for the numbers on the ingredients. 340 calories total.

Seriously, this sounds delicious!!!
  • nancym221
    Options
    Nurse here with 30 minute lunch. I always bring lunch.

I cook a couple of things on my day off for the upcoming week.

I make a breakfast quiche and a lunch/dinner quiche and freeze.
    I boil chicken breast for salads and sandwiches.
    I bake eggplant slices and freeze also for parmesan.

Always a salad. I prepackage my dressing and cheese so all I have to do is drop in my bag.

I get ooh's and aah's from my co workers daily.

I can furnish recipes if you like.
  • wr130245a
    Options
    I also work in an Er and only get short lunch, the wraps are great, I but rotissery chicken from local grocery deli and mixed salad and when cook steak out i save left overs and use the next day in my wraps, canned tuna and chicken are good as well.