Spin

Options
beth0277
beth0277 Posts: 217 Member
The new gym that I joined has a spin class. I'm wondering how hard it would be for a newbie? I am in decent shape but nothing spectacular. I'm afraid to try and end up throwing up like someone I know! LOL

Replies

• dawnr2
    dawnr2 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I go to 2 or 3 spin classes a week and love it. My fitness has increased hugely since I first went in April. My advice would be to turn up early and ask the instructor for some guidance in setting your bike up properly. This is vital for your comfort and to get the most out of your workout. My approach at the start was to focus on keeping at the same pace as the instructor and gradually building up level of resistance as my fitness increased. Hope you enjoy it!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I enjoy spin in the winter when it's more difficult and less comfortable for me to get outside and ride.

FYI, you can go at your own pace...no need to make yourself throw up. You go at a pace and level of resistance that you are comfortable with and go from there. Unless this is an advanced class, shouldn't be any issue.
  • AMW47
    AMW47 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I go to 2 or 3 spin classes a week and love it. My fitness has increased hugely since I first went in April. My advice would be to turn up early and ask the instructor for some guidance in setting your bike up properly. This is vital for your comfort and to get the most out of your workout. My approach at the start was to focus on keeping at the same pace as the instructor and gradually building up level of resistance as my fitness increased. Hope you enjoy it!

A million times yes to asking for help setting up your bike the first time (or first couple of times even). I started going to spin classes on a regular basis two months ago and I was a little embarrassed to have to ask for help setting the bike up, but the instructor was so helpful and I think it really made a difference in my desire to keep with spinning classes.

I'm pretty overweight and I love spinning. You have complete control over what happens on your bike. If the instructor tells you to increase resistance and you don't feel like you can, you don't have to and no one will know. I can't keep up with most of the classes I go to, but I can absolutely tell that I'm improving which is all that really matters.
  • hjy319
    hjy319 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    -Agree with getting help on a proper set up.
    -Ask the instructor about their style, some use a scale of 1-10 for intensity where other will say heavy, medium or light hill, or some use speed. and also the different positions they use, in the saddle, stand up running position, hovering over the seat or standing climb.
    -Know that you control your ride, if you are not feeling a heavy hill adjust it.
    -ANd lastly know that your bottom will probably hurt, that feeling becomes normal after a few classes, but those seats do hurt sometimes!

Enjoy, its a great class!
  • nailer60
    nailer60 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Its a fun workout ,with music pumping and in a group setting.I think at first just do what you can, you have control of the settings on the bike,if its too much back it down some. After a few times its gets easier. Good Luck