Breakfast suggestions - more protein less carb-y

Options
2»

Replies

• Birder155
    Birder155 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I'm in the cottage cheese camp. I usually add berries or eat it with cantaloupe or pineapple.
    That or eggs but you know about eggs. :happy:
  • stevee290
    stevee290 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    How about a cold glass of milk?
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Morning is the ideal time to ingest most of your carbs. Your body is starved of carbs from the night's sleep so you need to refuel as soon as possible to enhance body functions. I would suggest that if you are trying to cut carbs do it at other meals not at breakfast. At the same time, you want these carbs to be low GI, therefore whole grains, oats, etc.

A good example of a well balanced breakfast would be something like plain greek yogurt, fruit, and whole wheat toast.

This is what I do, eat at least half of my carbs for breakfast and gradually decrease my carbs at each meal after that.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I cook up a batch of quinoa in the beginning of the week. Then some days I add black beans, peppers, salsa, cheese. Other days I add honey, vanilla, cinnamon, nuts, raisins. You can add whatever you want. It fills me up. Other days I do yogurt, either plain or mixed with some fruit and/or nuts. I also do overnight oatmeal - mix oatmeal, milk, yogurt, and other stuff - banana and cocoa powder, chia seeds, blueberries, and honey, and so on.
    some great ideas here, thanks for sharing with the rest of us. Time to pick up some black beans:love:
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    make yourself an epic omelet! Two eggs, sour cream, full fat cheese and you got something yummy!
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Morning is the ideal time to ingest most of your carbs. Your body is starved of carbs from the night's sleep so you need to refuel as soon as possible to enhance body functions. I would suggest that if you are trying to cut carbs do it at other meals not at breakfast. At the same time, you want these carbs to be low GI, therefore whole grains, oats, etc.

A good example of a well balanced breakfast would be something like plain greek yogurt, fruit, and whole wheat toast.

Um, that's a load of crap. I barely have any carbs for breakfast and I function just fine. I also have very little carbs throughout the day. I'm not dead yet.
  • erikarobles
    erikarobles Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I did Shaun T 7 day slim down and just decided to stick with it. It is a mix of a lot of things but very low carbs. Every morning at work in a microwave safe bowl I throw in 2 handfuls of fresh spinach, 2 hard boiled eggs whites, a crumbled turkey patty, a quarter cup of sharp cheddar, and green salsa. I microwave for until the cheese is melted. Super low carb, lots of energy, and VERY filling. My favorite FAST breakfast. Good luck!!!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,658 Member
    Options
    I typically have 100g no fat yoghurt sweetened with 10g of commercial granola. Also a boiled egg, and 50g raw snow peas dipped in 15g hummous. Add a milky coffee and a peach it still comes in at around 300 kcal. The protein keeps me going until lunchtime.
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    carbs in the AM = energy for the day.
    go with some egg whites paired w/ 1/2 cup of oatmeal and scoop of peanut butter.

wash down with black plain coffee
  • iasue
    iasue Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    So many great choices here! Thank you all so much. I am adding much of these to my grocery list. I think I do need to vamp up my breakfast - the biggest issue for me is not being overly hungry first thing when I get up. I have the fortune of working close to home though so I can probably spare the time to make a better (bigger) breakfast than I am doing and then cut back on my other meals.