Self Sabotage

Options
I have been sticking with MFP since January has have succesfully dropped over 17 pounds and in the last month or so have maintained that loss. I am not sure if the scale not budging has to do with ongoing marathon training or my food intake.

I have a tendenacy to self sabotage. Two nights ago I told myself no night time snacking. Now don't get me wrong, if I am hungry or have run I will eat. But last night for example I was sitting there at almost 10pm watching TV and out of boredom toasted up a cheese bagel. I wasn't even hungry.

I know what to do to lose weight, I have been down this path many times. What can't I get my head to work wih me and just do it!

Replies

• sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    I do this myself after a stressful journey home I ate half a packet of custard creams with a coffee...

Completely unnecessary emotional eating.
  • MarilynTC
    MarilynTC Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I do this to myself, too, and the only way I can prevent it is to avoid buying the kinds of foods I'll mindlessly snack on. This is incredibly hard, since my 3 year old practically lives on peanut butter sammies and peanut butter is one of my binge/snack foods. But we do buy a lot more fruit and veggies, so I can always grab an apple or some strawberries if I am truly hungry.

One thing that does help a lot is that my kitchen is on the top floor, and the den is on the bottom floor of my house, so if I want a late-night snack, I have to haul my butt upstairs to get it., and be super quiet so I don't wake the baby or the 3 year old. The walk up the stairs also gives me time to think about whether I *really* want that snack or if I am just eating for the heck of it.

Oh, and I also forgive myself for slip-ups. I ate 2 ice cream sandwiches one night over the 4th of July weekend. At first, I was mad at myself and kind of ashamed, but really, one day of eating too much isn't what made me fat to begin with. ALWAYS eating too much food is what did it.
  • liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    When I get that way at night, I go to bed. It doesn't always work, had a really bad weekend last week :grumble: but I have put myself to bed at 7 before when I had eaten all my calories and couldn't get my mind of of eating.

Plus, when I wake up,.. I have more calories to spend!
  • MeganAnne89
    MeganAnne89 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I think it can be beneficial to figure out why you sometimes self-sabotage (and I mean if it really is you doing that, and not just your body really craving a certain food).

I know people who feel very self conscious and then they project the feelings that they have towards themselves onto other people which then makes them feel like their friends must not care about them, their girlfriend/boyfriend must not love them, because how could they when they're so fat and ugly? So they end up overeating and gaining weight because they'll just feel like, "what's the point? My friends think I'm fat so I might as well be fat." And other times people will just think that they don't deserve to be skinny.

When that kind of mentality is in your head, I think it can be beneficial to really work through those thoughts and emotions because otherwise you're most likely going to continue to self-sabotage.

That being said, until it's worked through, I agree with not allowing yourself to buy the things that you tend to binge with.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    It sounds more of emotional eatting, out of boredom or perhaps loneliness, tired? It is more about recognize your emotion when you are eating when you are not actually hungry and learn to deal with those emotions in another way other than through food.
  • mom2RW
    mom2RW Posts: 5
    Options
    Justifying that snack or indulgence is something i think we all do.

Having the will power to say NO when I am hungry or when I really just WANT a treat or specific food is hard. I honestly do not have that will power and I am seeking it by using this MFP.

For example today I was in a seminar and they had AMAZING food. I logged into MFP and evaluated the amount of calories I was wanting to consume. Seeing that it was going to be like 800+ calories for a breakfast snack I made a wiser choice.

That helped this time! I am hoping when it is 9PM and I want some pita chips MFP will help again.
  • CassieR6
    CassieR6 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing! I have been trying like crazy to stop drinking wine every night and smoke my hookah. I want to cut it back to maybe just the weekends but with the fiance unemployed and having more energy to stay up I have been doing it nightly and every morning I say no more! Then by the time dinner is done I just want some wine and hookah to relax. I guess we need to build up our will power!! I know I am not much help but I know how you feel!
  • ZombieMom79
    ZombieMom79 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I definitley know that the eating is out of boredom. It's like I can't just sit and not being putting my hand to my mouth. I am going to start going for a walk or run after the kids go to bed and keep my hands busy with folding laundry.
  • Nightstar76
    Nightstar76 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Self sabotage is what always derails me. I'm trying hard not to let it but at night time I know I'm not hungry but just really want something to munch on. I thought I would get out of that habit but still doing it.I keep hearing that after sometime all of this becomes my new habits and some things have been like checking things out with the MFP app before I buy and eat them. But depending on the day some days I just want to not bother with the counting and the weighing and the vigilance. I just needed to write this out and get it out of my head even though I know this was an older posting.
  • smarieallen85
    smarieallen85 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I do this sometimes too. It basically happens if I buy a large bag of chips or something, and have it sitting around the next day. I will occasionally grab some and not log. To avoid this, I allow myself desserts and snacks but I buy something every afternoon that will fit into my calories for the day, and only has a serving in it. Tonight I have a little back of rice chips or something for 140 calories. Helps that I live alone and can walk to all grocery stores though.
  • Jdigs88
    Jdigs88 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    but really, one day of eating too much isn't what made me fat to begin with. ALWAYS eating too much food is what did it.

Have to remember this! It's what can get us through.