Affordable healthy diet? please help

Options
I am beginning my weight loss journey, but when it comes to having a balanced diet I don't know where to begin.
I am college student and supporting myself so my income is limited honestly. I am use to eating fast food and junk food excessively-Like Mcdonalds dollar menu. I want to eat healthier but I have no clue where to begin and foods to get at reasonable cost. Any tips/idea are greatly appreciated Or websites/books as a guide thanks.

Replies

• buzybev
    buzybev Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I was a broke college student, and I am now a broke young professional preparing to become a broke graduate student this fall. What has worked for me is stocking up on cheap goods such as:

Pasta
    rice
    eggs
    canned beans and corn (great for crock pot chili)
    pasta sauce/chicen broth
    buying bread on sale and freezing it if I don't finish it by the exp date.
    buying frozen veggies, meats, and fruits (also buying fresh and freezing)
    32oz tubs of greek yogurt

For finding the best price, you might have to shop around and compare weekly ads. I know several chain grocery stores offer their ads online now, if not look out for the paper versions that are sent weekly via post.

I hope this was somewhat helpful :/
  • BaGoetz
    BaGoetz Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Try the Paleo diet. It is void of all processed foods which tend to cause the body to slow down. Meats, veggies, fruits, nuts are the staples. With protein in every meal, you will be fuller longer. Remember to hydrate.

A yogurt and fruit smoothie will keep you full for hours and it is not expensive if you buy the quart sized yogurt. Go for plain and sweeten with fruits and vanilla to your liking. Add spinach, kale or collard greens to all your smoothies. Looks green, but you can't taste it. No lie! What a great way to get 2 or 3 cups of dark green veggies in for a single meal.

Purchase your produce in small quantities so they don't go bad on you if you don't eat them in the first couple days. Huge savings here.

#1 tip in my book is avoiding as much processed food as possible. That includes breads, cereal, etc. Eat as many whole foods as possible as they will keep you full.

If you have a glass of water and a piece of fruit half an hour before each meal, you will not be as likely to eat as much. Also, walk right after eating to get your body moving and boosting the metabolism.

A typical chicken breast is good for 2 servings. Make your meals and divide them up to have for at least 2 meals. You will save money and be able to stay on track right from the start.

For a couple dollars, you can offset some of your produce budget by growing lettuce and tomatoes in containers on the sunny side of your residence. $4 in seeds will net upwards of $50 or more in produce if you care for it.