another 'wondering why we're here/fat acceptance' thread

Options
jerber160
jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
Cutting the grass with headphones on the final song from HAIRSPRAY came on. It has the lyric " You can't stop my happiness 'cause I like the way I am ..And you just can't stop my knife and fork when I see a Christmas ham ..So if you don't like the way I look, well, I just don't give a damn "
then I came in and found the controversy of the ESPN cover :
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/07/10/prince-fielder-s-demi-moore-moment-world-loses-it-over-athlete-without-six-pack.html---and the 275lb first baseman.. the article mentions 'the cult of the male body beautiful."

while I was mowing the lawn, thinking about edna turnblad and reinforced by this ball-player, I was thinking, what a selfish attitude. because at my age it's starting to cross my mind, who will take care of me when I'm old. Don't I owe it to them to be the healthiest I can be? That's never been an incentive for me before but I'm thinking it should always have been. I know everyone has to learn their life lessons at their own pace and I know I'm feeling a little sad and mortal, so I don't think I can condone 'big is beautiful' as an acceptable norm. HOW this never occurred to me before I don't know... I just wasn't one of those people who grew up thinking about health. I wishing now I was.

Replies

• Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    Your argument for health is valid, but if we lived every second with the fear of disabling illness, we'd all be out at every anti-pollution rally we could find. Come to think of it, I see no downside to this.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    who will take care of me when I'm old. Don't I owe it to them to be the healthiest I can be?

Great insight... it will give me pause for consideration.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    But shaming Edna to the point she doesn't come out of her apartment doesn't work either.
  • jerber160
    Options
    THIS IS ALL JUST BLAHBLABHBLABH TALKING -AND WISHING WE LIVED IN A PERFECT WORLD. IT'S THEORY AND SPECULATION WITH LITTLE BASIS IN THE LIVES OF ACTUAL PEOPLE...PLEASE STOP HERE IF YOU'RE VERY SENSITIVE ABOUT YOUR DIET JOURNEY..

But shaming Edna to the point she doesn't come out of her apartment doesn't work either.
    ultimately, isn't it Edna's responsibility? to weigh easing the burden on Tracy when Edna hits 80 years old, or let shame immobilize her?

My graphic imagination right now is picturing the 80year old Edna/Harvey, bedridden with multiple diseases all exacerbated by her weight... trying to flip her for hygiene. ... it's not a pretty picture.

it makes for a funny, really hysterical line in the show, but really, we are all trying to stop our knives and forks after a reasonable amount of food intake. Since we never did before, we're HERE at mfp. Now I'm on to FLOTUS... GO MICHELLE.. education will be key...
  • pipertargaryen
    pipertargaryen Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I take care of 2 elderly relatives who are crippled physically, on all sorts of medications, have all sorts of health issues, and have since they were in their 60s.

They've never been overweight a day in either of their lives. So, maybe they owe me better? But their size certainly didn't impact anything.

Edit: They also never smoked and neither have had a sip of alcohol in their lives (honestly, I think they'd be in better health if they had had some wine :tongue: ).

My thoughts on the subject are that if someone is related to you or extremely close to you, and their health concerns you, what they weigh - be it 'too much' or 'too little' - is something that you have the right to care about. A perfect stranger, however, does not have the obligation to be aesthetically pleasing to you, and at the end of the day, you have no idea what their story is. This goes for people who find some folks too fat, or some too thin, or people who say things like, "You have such a great body, it's a shame you cover it up!" to really conservative people, and so force.

Basically, without some kind of background, I don't see why anyone has the right to judge and shame people for their bodies, be they very large bodies or very skinny ones.
  • Shalaurise
    Shalaurise Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    *covers ears* Why all the yelling?

I'll be honest, I would like there to be a time in my life when I am not continually responsible for someone else. I can't fathom my parents living with me and having to take care of them, nor me living with either if my children in such a manner... to heck with that. I love my family and all, but I don't think I could survive the kids going off to college and the parents moving in.
  • VeronicaG2B
    VeronicaG2B Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    THIS IS ALL JUST BLAHBLABHBLABH TALKING -AND WISHING WE LIVED IN A PERFECT WORLD. IT'S THEORY AND SPECULATION WITH LITTLE BASIS IN THE LIVES OF ACTUAL PEOPLE...PLEASE STOP HERE IF YOU'RE VERY SENSITIVE ABOUT YOUR DIET JOURNEY..

ultimately, isn't it Edna's responsibility? to weigh easing the burden on Tracy when Edna hits 80 years old, or let shame immobilize her?

My graphic imagination right now is picturing the 80year old Edna/Harvey, bedridden with multiple diseases all exacerbated by her weight... trying to flip her for hygiene. ... it's not a pretty picture.

it makes for a funny, really hysterical line in the show, but really, we are all trying to stop our knives and forks after a reasonable amount of food intake. Since we never did before, we're HERE at mfp. Now I'm on to FLOTUS... GO MICHELLE.. education will be key...

I am curious as to the limits of this...

Would this general philosophy also cover ignorant people, who through a refusal to learn basic facts or apply sound reasoning skills, impose a real, ongoing burden to large numbers of people every day?

I wonder what that kind of righteous crusade would look like?
  • jerber160
    Options
    I take care of 2 elderly relatives who are crippled physically, on all sorts of medications, have all sorts of health issues, and have since they were in their 60s.

They've never been overweight a day in either of their lives. So, maybe they owe me better? But their size certainly didn't impact anything.

Edit: They also never smoked and neither have had a sip of alcohol in their lives (honestly, I think they'd be in better health if they had had some wine :tongue: ).

Basically, without some kind of background, I don't see why anyone has the right to judge and shame people for their bodies, be they very large bodies or very skinny ones.

my main point is I don't think there is a major disease state that isn't exacerbated by obesity and that should enter into everyone's awareness. My own 110 pound 90 year old grandmother died of a stroke brought on from high blood pressure. I just had a 52year old hunk of a friend have a stent put in-he had 90 percent blockage and to look at him you'd swoon he's so handsome.... so yes diseases happen to everyone, but it's a proven fact obesity makes diseases worse and treatment harder. First line treatment in most major disease states is weight loss and lifestyle modifications.. like increasing exercise. And this trend toward 'fat acceptance' seems to go against that medical wisdom. As for the fat first baseman, let's just follow him and see at what age he needs to have his knees replaced and then have another discussion.
  • pipertargaryen
    pipertargaryen Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    my main point is I don't think there is a major disease state that isn't exacerbated by obesity and that should enter into everyone's awareness.

No I totally understand that, trust me. The thing is though, there are plenty of people who laugh and point and shame people who are overweight but are *fine* - and I'm not talking about morbid obesity, I'm talking someone like me (or 10-20lbs larger than me). I mean, I weigh 165lbs and I am 5'4". I am 20ish pounds overweight. Physically, I am in the best shape ever - strength-wise, cardiovascularly, and so forth, even compared to when I was 145lbs and in the healthy range a few years ago. I'm a size 12. My body fat percentage is around 35% - considered very fat/obese. EDIT Not that I think it's right to laugh, point or shame someone who is morbidly obese, either! If your opinion comes from anywhere other than concern - that being you find someone ugly or unappealing or just plain ol' hate fat people - anyone remember that episode of SVU, titled aptly, "Fat"? - you really should just STFU. I went to school with someone who hated fat people, last year. It was a terrible experience.

But like, I'm fine. Seriously. My blood pressure is perfect. My lungs are healing from smoking (which did far more damage to me than being fat ever did, and I was totally stupid to smoke, I get that). I don't consider myself fat any more, but by many peoples' standards, I'm still a heifer. If someone still has good health (even at 215lbs, I had perfect blood pressure by some miracle!), and they're fine with their weight, I just don't see why anyone else needs to be concerned. Now, when I was 215lbs and smoking, I may have been surprisingly healthy, but my knees hurt (like you mentioned with the baseball player), my boobs were way too big (losing 2 cup sizes has been one of my favorite parts of the journey!), and my ankles would swell. So my health was in no way optimal. I had to lose weight to feel better. Being obese was a problem for me. And so, I did lose weight. I still have 25lbs to go to goal. 35 more pounds would be even better.

But if I stopped right now, still 'fat' by many peoples' standards, it would not adversely affect my health in any way. It would be purely aestethic. I'm changing because I want to, but if I didn't, it wouldn't be anyone's business, is my point.
  • jerber160
    Options
    sound reasoning and critical thinking. I don't think most of us think about these things much. veronica mentioned a righteous crusade and piper is changing because she wants to. The successful ball player on the cover of a national magazine is a bit different. With the endorsement by someone successful, (or someone we really like, like Edna) common people may get the idea that his (or her) physique is acceptable. Most doctors would think it is not. The FLOTUS thinks it is not. Most of us at mfp think it is not. so I'm just putting it out there for discussion. we need to choose our role models carefully, but most of us just kinda waltz through life until we're forced to take a closer look. I'm 54 now and I kind of envy a friend I had in college whose father was all over him for gaining about 9 pounds at the beginning of sophomore year. I've been pissing around for that long.
  • Loralrose
    Loralrose Posts: 203
    Options
    Obesity carries health risks, true. I rarely hear anyone argue otherwise. BUT:

1. You can't tell someone's health by looking at them, or by a number on the scale. I am obese, but according to every test they can do I'm off-the-charts healthy - whereas my normal weight roommate has loads of chronic health problems.

2. Their health is none of your business anyways. A grown-*kitten* adult can make their own decisions about their own health.

3. Alienating or mocking people for their size is not only cruel, it is also damaging. The constant stress and shame of being bullied does real harm, both psychological and physical.

The "fat acceptance" movement is pushing for a world in which people are not bullied for being fat. Part of that is acknowledging in media that fat people can be successful, smart, kind, happy people. We all know it's true, so the real question is why are we trying to hide it in the name of public health? Because we think people need to be shamed into changing.

I don't know about you, but I don't think shame is an effective motivation for change. Shame and self-hatred are crippling emotions. Loving yourself, confidence, positive goals in life... those are much more sustainable motivations. I made the choice to lose weight because of internal reasons, not because others pushed me to do it.
  • oedipa_maas
    oedipa_maas Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Obesity carries health risks, true. I rarely hear anyone argue otherwise. BUT:

1. You can't tell someone's health by looking at them, or by a number on the scale. I am obese, but according to every test they can do I'm off-the-charts healthy - whereas my normal weight roommate has loads of chronic health problems.

2. Their health is none of your business anyways. A grown-*kitten* adult can make their own decisions about their own health.

3. Alienating or mocking people for their size is not only cruel, it is also damaging. The constant stress and shame of being bullied does real harm, both psychological and physical.

The "fat acceptance" movement is pushing for a world in which people are not bullied for being fat. Part of that is acknowledging in media that fat people can be successful, smart, kind, happy people. We all know it's true, so the real question is why are we trying to hide it in the name of public health? Because we think people need to be shamed into changing.

I don't know about you, but I don't think shame is an effective motivation for change. Shame and self-hatred are crippling emotions. Loving yourself, confidence, positive goals in life... those are much more sustainable motivations. I made the choice to lose weight because of internal reasons, not because others pushed me to do it.

YES. 100% agree.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Would this general philosophy also cover ignorant people, who through a refusal to learn basic facts or apply sound reasoning skills, impose a real, ongoing burden to large numbers of people every day?

Wire link fence around the state of ND?
  • jerber160
    Options

Wire link fence around the state of ND?

mandatory muzzles for bmi over ???? phones that deliver electric shocks if you chew for more than 25 minutes per hour... blood pressure cuffs that expand if you remain seated for too long?