sit ups question

Options
i have around 40lbs to lose but i have have been doing cardio exercises e.t.c

what i wanna know is i know sit ups are mostly for helping to tone up the stomach i have been doing them everyday, is it worth me doing them now when i still have so much weight to lose or does it make it easier to tone up when the weight has come off? does it help reduce having loose skin?

Replies

• Pedro_Infante
    Pedro_Infante Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Hi Lushy

We use our core when we walk up and down stairs; bend down to pick something up, literally just about anything. It is your core that automatically engages and provides you with balance and stability.

70 to 80 percent of a weight loss program is diet. Is it worth it to do it know? Absolutely but they pay off will show when you get your fat down to 15 percent or less if seeing your six pack is your goal.

Cut back to 3X's a week, Focus on your diet, and above all, Have Fun! Now go get'em tiger! Grr!!!

Pete
  • maxmum
    maxmum Posts: 12
    Options
    I thought the same as you, however it's not just weight loss it's how you feel and your shape. Sit up's will help your shape and make your waist / stomach feel tighter to you even if there is a layer of fat over the top of the muscles. So I guess it depends if you just want to look better or want to look and feel better! If you want both, do some sit ups! If you do them correctly they cant hurt!
  • SillySarah
    Options
    Hi Lushy

We use our core when we walk up and down stairs; bend down to pick something up, literally just about anything. It is your core that automatically engages and provides you with balance and stability.

70 to 80 percent of a weight loss program is diet. Is it worth it to do it know? Absolutely but they pay off will show when you get your fat down to 15 percent or less if seeing your six pack is your goal.

Cut back to 3X's a week, Focus on your diet, and above all, Have Fun! Now go get'em tiger! Grr!!!

Pete

I would agree with this.

To the OP: You're best bet exercise wise, IMO, is to do some sort of interval training that incorporates some resistance training (body weight, free weights, etc.) along with cardio. That way you'll be building lean muscle mass, which will boost your metabolism and help the weight to come off more easily than just dieting alone would.

You can still do sit ups and other core exercises because they will help make you stronger in your other daily activities. Just be sure to watch you're neck and your lower back so you don't strain them. Also, try and do other types of core exercises apart from just sit ups and crunches. Many forms of yoga and pilates are awesome ways to make everything just a wee bit tighter. The gals who put together the Pilates on Fifth videos do a great job explaining some of the more dynamic core exercises. The key is building a balanced strength.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=pilates+on+fifth&aq=0

^There's a link to some of their youtube videos. You'll have to copy and paste it into your browser bar (or just google youtube pilates on fifth).

Good luck.