Personal Training Problems...suggestions?

Options
Hi everyone!

I just began a new personal training program earlier this week. While I am not new to working out, I do have a pretty sedentary lifestyle and have not been working out as frequently in the last couple months as I once did. Working out with a personal trainer is definitely more intense than other workouts I have experienced and I need some help from those of you who have more experience.

It has been 2 days since my work out with my personal trainer and I am still incredibly sore. It is hard to even stand up, sit down, or walk. I am supposed to go to training again tonight and don't even know how I could do that when I can hardly get up from my office chair. That being said, I wanted to ask those with more experience in intense strength training if there is something I can do to prevent extreme prolonged soreness? Am I doing something wrong? Or is it just because this was the first time and it will get better with time? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! :)

Replies

• Barbonica
    Barbonica Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I just began a new personal training program earlier this week. While I am not new to working out, I do have a pretty sedentary lifestyle and have not been working out as frequently in the last couple months as I once did. Working out with a personal trainer is definitely more intense than other workouts I have experienced and I need some help from those of you who have more experience.

It has been 2 days since my work out with my personal trainer and I am still incredibly sore. It is hard to even stand up, sit down, or walk. I am supposed to go to training again tonight and don't even know how I could do that when I can hardly get up from my office chair. That being said, I wanted to ask those with more experience in intense strength training if there is something I can do to prevent extreme prolonged soreness? Am I doing something wrong? Or is it just because this was the first time and it will get better with time? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! :)
    I had the same experience when I started working out with a trainer (3 years ago). My second session was still pretty intense, but it actually helped the DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) from the first session. Let your trainer know what really is sore, and if it is DOMS or injury (hopefully not!). If nothing else, you might learn some new stretches that you should do post workout to mitigate soreness. I recommend keeping the session - just be prepared for continued soreness as you progress. I still work with a trainer, am now lifting heavy, and still love it. I still get sore, but it is nothing like that first month. Congratulations on your commitment to fitness!

And...second day is usually the worst for soreness, tomorrow should be less sore.
  • MPD6944
    MPD6944 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I also had the same problem when I first started working out with a trainer 4 months ago, now I am doing so much more without being sore. I was told by my trainer the first month will be incredibly hard and to eat as much protein as I can and it really did help with the soreness because protein repairs your muscles (the soreness is from the tearing of the muscles and once they repair themselves the soreness goes away). I try to have a protein shake or protein bar after an intense workout and I may still be sore the next day but not as nearly as bad as it was when I started. Hope this helps!
  • krstn102109
    krstn102109 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much to both of you! That makes me feel much better. So I will just keep at it and look forward to it getting better in a few weeks! :)
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Nope! You're first few sessions are going to be hell. I've been with a PT since the end of March and I am still sore after workouts. Some more then others depending on how intense it is. It gets better but if you have a good work outPT where they are pushing you to your potential you are going to be sore. I'm still walking funny, when I first get out of my chair, from Mondays session, lol. And the stairs...forget about it. I worked out at the gym yesterday on my own and I'm better today but not 100%. I also did more upper body and very little with legs.

You are not experiencing anything out of the ordinary at all.

I'd keep the session tonight unless you are so completely in pain that there is just no way to do any type of work out. If you do go, let your trainer know and if he/she's any good then they will work around your soreness and tone down the work out. If your legs are sore they should do more of an upper body work out or vice versa.

My trainer is a 28yo guy in Fabulous shape and he told me yesterday that he's sore, so that really made me feel better. If you are not at least a tad bit achey you aren't pushing yourself enough. New routines and exercises are going to work muscles that aren't used to it and you will be sore.

Good luck! Getting a PT was the best thing I've ever done.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    if you are just starting out/returning then your going to have sorness and your likely to be far less sore after workouts in the near future.

if you are asking if you should go to training or not while sore, that is up to you.

it wouldn't be dangerous to go, and you'll feel a lot less sore after a few minutes of working out.

but often when people are starting out and the want to plow throw injury or illness (not that this is either), it sort of betrays that they have the notion that this is a temporary thing that will eventually be finished. fitness is life long. whats the rush, if you wanted to take a day or two in order to recover, that wouldnt' be very dangerous either ;)
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    I am still incredibly sore. It is hard to even stand up, sit down, or walk. I am supposed to go to training again tonight and don't even know how I could do that when I can hardly get up from my office chair.

If you're that sore, reschedule for tomorrow or Saturday. Training through light soreness is good, training through extreme soreness is unhealthy.

Do full-body workouts with him each session for the 1st month, not body parts. Full-body workouts produce less soreness and reduce the chance of injury..
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

You didn't do anything wrong--your trainer did. There is no excuse for a trainer putting someone through a workout the first time that leaves them that sore. It's de motivating, unhealthy--and it doesn't get you into shape any faster.

The only good news is that, assuming the trainer doesn't injure you first, you will eventually adapt and, while you still may feel some soreness after a new or particularly intense workout, it will be more appropriate and not as debilitating.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the trainer may have been a bit overzealous. Soreness will happen up to 2 days after, but shouldn't be debilitating.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I have lost count how many years I have been working with a trainer - my usually guy was in vacation this week so I have the guy that coaches me for competition also do my general strength training - he has different drills he likes - I felt like a truck ran over me today !

My coach and I also trained together - we will both be competing in the same event in August - we were both on the floor in a pool of sweat at the end of it

It will get better - hot baths , advil and keep moving