Are eggs good or bad for you?

Options
Are eggs good or bad for you? and how many eggs is it safe to eat a week. I feel like there is allot of contradictory information on this. As I try and completely change my eating habits I don't want to replace one set of bad decisions with a whole new set of bad decisions.

Thanks for the info.

Replies

• Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Bad for you, basically poison. Never consume them.

/s
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Eggs are awesome, they are a super food. I ate four for dinner tonight. I go through 18-24 per week on my own. I love eggs so much that I have 8 chickens in my back yard. Enjoy the eggs, they are good for you.

Rigger
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Food isn't inherently good or bad for a person (unless they have an allergy or underlying medical condition.)

If you want eggs, work them in your calories.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Good. Amazingly good. Unless you're allergic to eggs. Then eggs are bad for you. Very bad.
  • trudieobrien
    trudieobrien Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    eggs r an excellent source of protein, BUT in moderation, they have 7 grams of fat and 70 cals, I eat 2 p week, soft boiled, you can eat more but then you have to watch your fat for that day
  • 1911JR
    1911JR Posts: 276
    Options
    I will have 2 or 3 brown eggs in a few minutes......
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Good. Amazingly good. Unless you're allergic to eggs. Then eggs are bad for you. Very bad.

agreed ^
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I can't think of a reason to limit them. However, I do feel compelled to ask why you're asking such a question, how many were you planning to eat?
  • ketoambahh
    ketoambahh Posts: 67
    Options
    They're amazing for you!

It has the fat to keep you full, and the protein you need to start the day. The yolk is like a natural multivitamin, filled with vitamin E and other important nutrients. The cholesterol in the yolk is okay too. It helps keep your body going and is an important substance for your nerves, blood cells, and everything in between.
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as good food bad food. Its calories in vs calories out. There are foods that are better choices than others. Eggs can be a good choice.
  • Nertak
    Nertak Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    ment to quote hookilau

I was thinking of having 2 for breakfast maybe 5 days a week. When I said that to my friend they said that I shouldn't have more then 2 eggs in a week. Then when i researched it a little there seemed to be no agreement
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    They're amazing for you!

It has the fat to keep you full, and the protein you need to start the day. The yolk is like a natural multivitamin, filled with vitamin E and other important nutrients. The cholesterol in the yolk is okay too. It helps keep your body going and is an important substance for your nerves, blood cells, and everything in between.

QFT. I eat at least a dozen every week. The yolks I call my "brain food." Dietary cholesterol and the other healthy fats in eggs (barring any underlying medical condition, of course) is essential for almost all our organs.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i have egg beaters or egg whites pretty much daily. i don't really want more fat in my diet, so i pass on the yolks.
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I love eggs and have about 4 whole ones every week. I have genetic high cholesterol and told to eat the whole egg. But I do use egg whites only in some recipes if I have had my 4 eggs for the week. Great source of protein and other nutrients
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I was thinking of having 2 for breakfast maybe 5 days a week. When I said that to my friend they said that I shouldn't have more then 2 eggs in a week. Then when i researched it a little there seemed to be no agreement

Your friend is basing that off of old and outdated information. I'll admit, I operated on that same "2 eggs a week" belief for a long time. Dietary cholesterol has been shown to have little to no effect on blood cholesterol levels (Disclaimer--again, I will say barring any health conditions or otherwise stipulated by your physician).

Sorry, I'm not the internet whiz, so I don't have the studies at the tip of my fingers. Hopefully, someone smarter than me will link those here.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I eat eggs every day and I'm still here. I eat both whole eggs and whole egg/egg white combinations. My husband eats scrambled egg muffins (egg, sausage, and cheese) 5 days a week as his post-workout/second breakfast.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    One of the best things that you can do for your own health and sanity is to stop thinking in terms of individual foods being "good" or "bad" and start thinking in terms of combining foods and meals in such a way to hit your nutrition goals. There are an infinite number of ways that you can combine foods to do this. Hit your goals and enjoy your life.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Are eggs good or bad for you? and how many eggs is it safe to eat a week. I feel like there is allot of contradictory information on this. As I try and completely change my eating habits I don't want to replace one set of bad decisions with a whole new set of bad decisions.

Thanks for the info.
    No food is good or bad for you unless (1) you are allergic or intolerant to said food or (2) your doctor tells you to avoid certain foods for a medical reason or (3) every time you look at said food it gives you the neebee jeebees and makes you feel very ill.

Eggs are great. I love them.

Changing eating habits does not mean giving up foods you like, it means learning to eat them moderation. :smile:
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I have to agree that it's outdated information. I haven't heard the ol' limit eggs because, yanno, cholesterol since the early 2000's. Though I *have* heard that people genetically predisposed to having high cholesterol (as the above poster mentioned) limiting them. Since I don't have this issue, I'd never really researched it.

If you can't find anything that supports your friend's theory....um...yeah...maybe your friend's wrong :wink:
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    No:
    gaston-eats-5-dozen-eggs.gif

Yes:
    Bobby-Throws-Egg-in-Wind-in-Face-King-of-the-Hill.gif