Starting out at 5'6", 352 pounds (gulp) with a few questions

Options
bekitts
bekitts Posts: 5 Member
Hello everyone! I've hopped aboard the MFP train after hearing so many wonderful things about it. I'm sure it's fairly obvious at my size, but I've definitely tried losing weight before, and I've had success with some programs but nothing that was really sustainable...I don't do well with extremes and a lot of programs I've been on have led me down that "all or nothing" path (low carb, no sugar, low-fat, etc) that eventually leads to a binge. I'm hoping MFP will let me just learn how to eat balanced and eat LESS!

My MFP goal right now is set at 240...I know that's still obese, but for me anything under 300 seems like a far-away dream. I entered "2 pounds a week" as my goal and this is the ratio MFP gave me:

1,900 cal/day
Carbs / Day 238.0 g
Fat / Day 63.0 g
Protein / Day 95.0 g

Does this sound like a good start? Is 2lb/week too optimistic? Should I change anything? Any experts care to weigh in? :D

I've been lurking on a lot of the forums today and it seems like there's a really active community here. I read some of the MFP "basics" threads and gleamed a lot of good info from them...especially on the importance of weighing your food (I have a scale on my kitchen counter and I WILL be using it!). I couldn't find any big lengthy discussions geared toward those of us who have a looooooot of weight to lose though...if anyone knows of any, please point me in their direction!

Replies

• Atrocity108
    Atrocity108 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    2lbs a week is totally do able. I am at that now. In the beginning, I was shedding up to 5lbs a week.

The carb value sounds too high to me. You can adjust that accordingly to your wishes.
  • pltjess
    pltjess Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I think it sounds like a fantastic start!

It's all going to come down to what works best for you, so just try it out and stick with it. You'll have bumps along the way, we all do, but the difference between making it and not is that after you do you just pick yourself up and keep on going. I know it well, I've done it far too many times.

Two lbs is generally the max that you'd want to aim for to lose per week. Of course, it's going to fluctuate based on so many different things, but I think especially with your SW (starting weight) it should most certainly be attainable.

The best of luck to you, and if you want some MFP friends, feel free to add me! :)

You can do this!
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Hi. I am down almost a 100lbs. I only aimed for 1lb per week to give myself a greater chance at sticking with it. So if you do struggle with 1900 calories you could consider 1 pound per week. My advice for food is eat things in moderation and expect the will power to get stronger as you go through your weight loss. Give yourself time and expect good and bad days. Try to find an exercise you enjoy so you will be more likely to stay with it. Good luck.
  • janicemushalupo
    janicemushalupo Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Yes, these seem to be accurate! I am working with a trainer that has be logging on MFP. He says to keep tabs on Carbs/Fat/Protein and not go over or under more than 5 grams. So far my 1st week I have lost 4 pounds. You can do this!!
  • jordanify
    jordanify Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I think the carb is too high, most people feel great and lose well with 40/40/20 carb protein, fat. I never weighed my food I think the most important thing is eating wholesome nutritious food. Good luck you can do it!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    2 lbs a week is certainly doable but don't expect it every week like clockwork.

As to calorie numbers, I'm at just shy of 280 and am eating 1750 with a sedentary lifestyle and was losing 2 lbs. a week until I had a lapse for the last week or so. So, since you weight a bit more than me and are younger it makes sense that your calorie number is higher.

This morning, another MFP member did a fantastic blog post that is wonderful for those of us with a long way to go who are trying to change our lives not "go on a diet." It's http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/_gypsyrunner_/view/the-beauty-of-800-days-676582

Also, read Ed's tale at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1103164-3-yrs-312lbs-lost-1yr-from-bodylift-and-maintenance
    It's pinned to the success story forum.

You get to decide how you want to approach this. Generally, we need to learn to control what we eat in what proportions and exercise more. What decisions you make from there are up to you. Some of us are trying to eat a healthy, balanced diet. Some are trying to be very specific with their "macros" (fat, protein and carbohydrate numbers), some go lo carb, some ketogenic, some are trying to lose weight by eating the same crap they always ate but in smaller amounts. There are the intermittent fasters, the six-meal a day folks, and every other variation you can think of.

I'm trying to learn as much as I can about sensible eating using sites like Harvard's Nutritionsource www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/

But I'm a foodie and my hobby is cooking so I'm not eliminating anything per se. Just trying to eat better and keep my consumption in check by weighing, measuring, and keeping the food diary -- though sometimes I can't bear to enter the late night transgressions.

Feel free to friend me if you'd like to.
  • Cerakoala
    Cerakoala Posts: 2,547 Member
    Options
    Hello! Nice to meet you and this is a great place to start your journey :) I think the calories sounds like a good start and 2 lbs a week at your weight is a good goal :) Don't be upset if you do not lose that much every week and don't get discouraged :) Some weeks it will be more some it will be less :) As far as the Macro's you have to decide what works best for you :) I have mine at 40 protein 30 carb 30 fat :) I still work on trying to meet those everyday that is a challenge but overtime you learn :) Best of luck on your journey! :)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Hi Bekitts,

Welcome! You can do this! It sounds like you are off to a good start.
  • daniel9797
    daniel9797 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I also just started my new "lifestyle" (not diet because diet is temporary, lifestyle is permanent) 4 days ago. I too, have 150+ pounds to lose. I have p90x and love it so far, but it is quite a challenge, so I walk to make up for what I can't do. The people who work out with you on p90x tell you, if you can't do it, try anyways because some kind of movement is better than no movement. So, with that being said, you should exercise/walk, even if it just down the street or 3 miles. Walking = exercise = burning calories = getting rid of weight. I also count calories, but don't weigh my food. I have read it but have no idea on what it does (If someone can explain, please do). Something that has helped me thus far, is waking up with a "motivational weight loss quote." Good luck to you with your new lifestyle. You can add me if you please, as we can never have to much support from MFP.
  • bekitts
    bekitts Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Wow!! I didn't expect so many replies so quickly...I'm overwhelmed by how encouraging you all are! THANK YOU!!!

I also am blown away by some of the tickers you guys have with such huge losses, talk about inspiring!

Thanks for all the advice on the calories and ratios! I'll have to play around after awhile and see if I need to change anything. I'm kind of excited to even think about getting to that point where I can kind of see what's working and what isn't...because it implies that something WILL work!

Sending friend requests to any and all who invited me to do so, which I appreciate! :D Thank you all!
  • mikegerber1
    mikegerber1 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    k, my profile pic might help.... started at 363 in November, 5'10" started on my own, just logging my food in a notebook and watching my portions and started walking. I could barely walk .4 miles in 30 minutes, my back hurt, my knees were stiff, but I kept at it. started MFP in march and have been having all kinds of success! just keep at it. if you are having problems, estimating food weight seems to be the biggest issue. get a food scale if you need to and measure your portions! I found that the calorie deficit MFP calculated for me was sufficient and don't be afraid to have a little extra every now and then. watch your "macros" at the bottom (if you are using the website) or check your nutrition numbers with the app. Try to keep your protiens, fats, carbs, etc. etc. close to nominal. I've been drinking nothing but water (occasional coffee) so I'm not too concerned about my sodium. I've been told MFP is not to accurate with potassium so I haven't been too concerned yet. I feel good, walking is getting easy things are going good. friend me if you want and i'll tell you more what works for me!
  • Emeryeon
    Emeryeon Posts: 61
    Options
    2 lbs a week seems easy but ITS NOT
    thats why i adjusted my weekly goals lmao
    goodluck though
  • MysteriousDreamer
    MysteriousDreamer Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Congrats for taking the hardest step, change. You can do it, take pound by pound and you will succeed!!!
  • ajff
    ajff Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    You can do it!

Treat it like a big experiment. Try your initial settings for a few weeks, tweek what isn't working.

Build a good group of level-headed friends who can give you support! (you can add me if you'd like)

The hardest thing in my experience??? Patience. (which is probably the most important thing you need!)
  • He1loKitty
    He1loKitty Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Bekitts put your ticker on and as you drop weight it'll be so motivating to see the pounds you've lost. Don't be afraid to get active on the forums. Anytime I'm struggling I go straight to the motivation and support forum. It helps to know I'm not alone. Also, you will struggle at first, and the struggle will get better but it won't end. It's hard to work out and keep eating healthy and stay under or at your calorie goal. There will be days when you want to give up. But you will get stronger and it'll become a rhythm. You will eventually find the balance that works for you. Finally, my best piece of advice. If you find yourself overeating one night when you're tired and hungry, don't let it derail you. The very next meal, recommit and get back on track. Good luck and welcome to mfp!!:flowerforyou:
  • He1loKitty
    He1loKitty Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    And please feel free to friend me too! :smile:
  • Ftw37
    Ftw37 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Weigh and measure your food to ensure proper portion sizes, hit your macros, and add some daily walking. Working for me.

Frank
  • MonicaJumper
    Options
    Welcome! I have a little over 100 pounds to lose. Lost 1.2 so far! I think you have already received some wonderful advice here. The best I can say is stick with it and be kind to yourself if you slip up! :)
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    It sounds like a great start. I think the goals you have are very realistic. Setting lots of smaller goals help out a lot in this journey. I suggest you try to get the most bang out of your buck so to speak as far as calories go. Try to add in new foods each week. Experiment with your recipes on how to eliminate butter and oil, sub out lean meats for fatty ones, add in fiber and protein to your day, cut down on whatever calories you can and stay away from processed foods as much as you can. Keep it basic. Try to stay to the main food groups when making your meals. Put on two vegies instead of a vegie and side like a potatoe or pasta, etc. Don't go all in all at once. Its a lifestyle change and it takes lots and lots of days and lots and lots of small changes to get you to a healthier you. Keep a written food diary. I think that is the most important thing to do. You can keep track of each day's food, activites, and how you are feeling or thinking each day. Celebrate the non scale victories often. Start with doing small changes in your activity like walks or more extensive cleaning on your house. ANYTHING that gets you sweaty is a good workout. Put some more umph in your current daily activities: stretch and do lunges while vaccumming or mopping, really work those arms while cleaning the counters, take extra trips back and forth from the laundry, etc. I started this way. Anything that gets you off your butt and gets the heart rate up is cardio. Eat the things you like but tweek them to be more low cal and more healthy. For example, I love Mexican foods. I can make corn shells with black beans and some jalapenos and lettuce and be just as satisfied. I also eat taco salads a lot but don't use sour cream or cheese or tortilla shells. I use lean steak instead of hamburger, Those kind of things are the way I have modified the foods to be low cal for me. Whatever you like to eat, I know there is a way to make it smarter. Just look at this journey as a one choice, one day and one pound at a time thing. It has almost been a year and I am still at it. You can do it. Hey the best part is the bigger weight you start at is the faster you will lose at first. Drink lots of water too. Good luck
  • Neptune8265
    Options
    Okay, so it sounds like we have some things in common I started 375lbs ... 6"2'. I was down to 365 when I decided to use this app a few weeks later vs. my own monitoring. I have worked my way down nearly 27lbs between changing my foods, intake and how I look at food. I have also signed up for Daily Burn and use their work out programs. I am set for 1lb a week but often go more like 2-5 but I have my ups and downs too. I want to stick with it and be encouraged vs. challenged so I went with 1lb/wk goal.

I hope you begin to add activity to your lifestyle, it took about a month for me to do it and now I am looking forward to the new things I can do and things I will be able to do soon.