Dinner or not?

Options
Hi everyone!

So i've been trying to do 5 meals a day, a good breakfast, 2 snacks (yogurt, fruit, cereal cookies and things like that) and lunch (usually salad or veggies with grilled chicken or fish) but i haven't been eating anything at night and i'm going to bed hungry. Is this ok and i will get used it or should i make a dinner?? if so, what can i have for dinner that won't become fat...I'm sorry if this all sounds a little dumb i just want to know because some people are like "don't have dinner" and some people are like HAVE dinner. Also are protein shakes a good dinner?

Thanks in advance for all the help, i'm new here so feel free to add me (loving MFP so far :love: )

Stay motivated!

Replies

• Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing/measuring everything you eat and logging it?

Have you calculated your tdee?

How can anyone help with 0 useful information
  • Kallie0612
    Kallie0612 Posts: 10
    Options

I have been eating 1200 calories a day or less, i'm 5'4 CW 150 lbs GW 120 lbs. I haven't calculate my TDEE to be honest.
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options

I have been eating 1200 calories a day or less, i'm 5'4 CW 150 lbs GW 120 lbs. I haven't calculate my TDEE to be honest.

To not feel hungry shift when you eat.

or eat more satiating foods
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    The way I see it, as long as it's within your calorie goal, you can eat anything you want, any time of day.

Before I started using MFP regularly I thought you had to eat at regular meal times [morning, noon, & evening] & had to eat 'acceptable' foods at that time [fruit for breakfast, for example]. Now though, if I want ice cream for breakfast, I eat it. If I want a snack at 2am, I eat it. Who cares? Your body sure doesn't know the difference. It's all food. Meal times and specific foods for those meal times are socially constructed. As long as you log what you eat, you're good to go.

Same thing goes for if you want to eat all of your calories in the early part of the day and eat nothing for 'dinner'. It's okay if you go to bed hungry, as long as you're okay with it. If you aren't, then try to spread your calories out over the day. I find that I always want to snack a TON after like 8pm, so I try to eat small things throughout the day & save most of my calories for evening so I don't go over. Just do what works for you!
  • CMReece
    CMReece Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yes, you should absolutely be eating dinner. Try taking your calorie count and dividing it up differently:
    300 breakfast
    100 snack
    300 lunch
    100 snack
    400 dinner

or

250 breakfast
    75 snack
    300 lunch
    75 snack
    500 dinner

You can divide it up any way that works for you. Some people say to eat your biggest meal in the middle of the day, and that's fine, but if you don't continue to eat throughout the day, you will put your body into starvation mode and it slows down your metabolism, which effectively makes starving yourself pointless.
  • Kallie0612
    Kallie0612 Posts: 10
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advices, I will for sure take all of this into consideration from now on, I will divide my calories better to avoid going to bed hungry. I really appreciate all the help :)