Trying 21 day fix - daily caloric intake freaking me out!

Options
Hi everyone!
I'm getting ready to start Beachbody's 21 day fix. After I did the calculation based on my weight I was astounded by the calories I am to eat everyday! 1900. That seems crazy! Am I really going to lose weight eating that much?? It seems like I should be around 1500 and doing the workouts maybe I'm netting around 1100 - 1200 total calories per day. Thoughts???

Replies

• desiperezi
    desiperezi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've heard sometimes that less is not more. Just make sure that you eat little to no sugar, fats, and only eat lean meats like fish turkey and chicken. fruits also have added sugar we really dont need.
  • paulainks
    paulainks Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    1800 calories does seem counter-intuitive but when you look at the foods on the list. It really is nutrient packed calories. I've been playing with the 21 day fix and really like it. Now, I haven't completed a 21 day cycle but I didn't count calories for 21 days in a row either. this is day 3 of my commitment to the plan. so far so good.
  • ShannonS921
    ShannonS921 Posts: 194
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    I'm getting ready to start Beachbody's 21 day fix. After I did the calculation based on my weight I was astounded by the calories I am to eat everyday! 1900. That seems crazy! Am I really going to lose weight eating that much?? It seems like I should be around 1500 and doing the workouts maybe I'm netting around 1100 - 1200 total calories per day. Thoughts???

Have you checked your TDEE/BMR? Based on how much you weigh, 1900 may still put you at a decent deficit.
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

If you're at a caloric deficit, you'll lose weight. Try the 1900 for a couple weeks then weigh in. If the scale goes down, stick with the 1900 if you're not hungry and you're hitting your macros. If the scale goes up, bump it down to 1800 and repeat the process.
  • djse1949
    djse1949 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you do not eat enough of the correct kinds of GOOD food your body will not let you loose weight as it will go into starvation mode.
    Eat healthy well balanced meals and GET ENOUGH SLEEP drink lots of water ( take your weight divide it by two and that is how many ounces of water you need to drink) That has worked for me
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    21 day fix? What are you trying to fix? What happens on day 22? In my opinion, beachbody anything is a scam and a waste of money.

That said, what is your TDEE? What is your height, weight, and activity level? 1900 calories might still be a deficit, especially if you are exercising.
    1800 calories does seem counter-intuitive but when you look at the foods on the list. It really is nutrient packed calories. I've been playing with the 21 day fix and really like it. Now, I haven't completed a 21 day cycle but I didn't count calories for 21 days in a row either. this is day 3 of my commitment to the plan. so far so good.
    Calorie in/calorie out, and it doesn't matter what type of food you eat. Moderation is the key to weight loss. Commitment is a lifetime process. Any eating plan worth anything at all is something I want to be able to do for the rest of my life, not 21 days or 3 days or whatever.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    If you do not eat enough of the correct kinds of GOOD food your body will not let you loose weight as it will go into starvation mode.
    This is NOT true.
  • tmonty67
    tmonty67 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    How did it work out? I am about to start a 21 day fix challenge and I am having second thoughts about the calorie intake they suggest. Hard to wrap your mind around, eat more.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    How did it work out? I am about to start a 21 day fix challenge and I am having second thoughts about the calorie intake they suggest. Hard to wrap your mind around, eat more.
    Welcome. :smile:

To lose weight all you have to do is eat the foods you love in moderation and eat less calories than you burn. No diets with fancy names necessary.

It's also not that you must eat more food to lose weight, but eat more to properly fuel your body so that you have the energy to do your activities of daily living, including any exercise. The key is keep your calories below your total daily energy expenditure, because that's the only way to lose weight.

Good luck.

ETA: I see you've lost 10 pounds. Congratulations! Why not just keep doing what you've been doing, as it seems to work.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Eat healthy well balanced meals and GET ENOUGH SLEEP drink lots of water ( take your weight divide it by two and that is how many ounces of water you need to drink) That has worked for me
    WRONG! People who are starving do not stop losing weight. Ever wonder why starving people aren't fat? Ever hear of someone 100lbs overweight staving to death? It doesn't happen. The body will use stored fuel until there isn't any left, then you die. That's how starving works. Please don't spread misinformation and pseudoscience.
  • qb63
    qb63 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    This is NOT true.

Seriously, who still thinks this??? :laugh:
  • ilovesnugglies
    ilovesnugglies Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Fruit does NOT have added sugar, they have naturally occurring sugars......
  • ilovesnugglies
    ilovesnugglies Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I've heard sometimes that less is not more. Just make sure that you eat little to no sugar, fats, and only eat lean meats like fish turkey and chicken. fruits also have added sugar we really dont need.

Fruit does NOT have added sugar. They have naturally occurring sugar......
  • EmotionalEater84
    EmotionalEater84 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    OMG ... in for the entertainment! XD
  • tmonty67
    tmonty67 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. I just want to try something different, a different workout, and a challenge always helps keep me going.
  • thinklivebefree
    thinklivebefree Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Too much.... lower you caloric intake to around 100 calories per day!
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    What are your stats? I am not doing the 21 day fix but eat about 1900 per day. 5'3", 130 lbs, female, 29 years old, high activity level. I lose on that amount. I had done the 1200 calorie thing awhile back and was always hungry and felt weak. I now feel satisfied with the amount I eat and can still lose... win win.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Your calorie goal depends on your stats and your workouts, none of which you've offered up, so you won't get any really good answers until those are known. That being said, I lose at 2100. (I'm 45, 5'5, 135 pounds and I workout 6xweek.) A larger deficit doesn't mean you'll lose and maintain that loss in a healthy way.

And you don't have to do anything like low carb or low fat. Your body needs those macros.