Hungry All the Time!

Options
Hello, everyone! I would love any advice you have for me, as I have just started being active.

I've never been one to exercise or eat too well. Occasionally I'd walk 4 miles, but the was the extent of it. I'm also 'Skinny Fat'; I'm 5' 3" and weigh 108 through no effort of my own - I eat unhealthy. My body fat is in the 30%.
However, I was tired of being so weak and exhausted all of the time at 19! So 2 weeks ago I started C25k and I've never been so happy with how I look. I feel strong and more confident!

Anyways, now that you know my story, here are some questions for you experts out there.
I'm hungry all the time now! Before a snack here or there would satisfy me, but now I'm ravenous! It's not just empty cravings either; I'll eat a bag of celery and some chicken and still feel like I'm being starved in a dungeon. Is something wrong with my diet? Do I need more protein? Or should I indulge the hunger as long as I eat healthy?
I'm not used to this type of hunger at all and its actually rather encouraging that my body is responding to my jogging.

Thanks for any help in advance!

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    How much are you eating?
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    Not skinnyfat but totally hear ya!:flowerforyou:
    I can have just arrived at or halfway through a non-involved appointment and be SOO hungry even if I ate a small breakfast first. 9/10 of the time, my body goes into Emergency Fat Use Mode, which HURTS!:mad: This leaves me pumped to possibly overdo it when I reach a restaurant. :frown:
  • TruckerWife922
    Options
    If you are hungry, then eat! When you workout you burn more calories than normal and therefore need more food.
  • Desifreckle
    Desifreckle Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Increased exercise means you should increase your food and most especially your water intake. Make sure you are drinking more water to make up for what you are losing during that exercise-- and it always helps me keep the hunger at bay. Make sure you are eating back some or most of your exercise calories as well!
  • BlueFisherKing
    BlueFisherKing Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your help! Good advice; glad I'm not alone in this hunger craze!
    Started drinking more water and upped my usual eating habits (roughly 1200 calories? Never truly counted before I started to exercise) to MyFitnessPals recommendation of 1500-1600 calories - My hunger is all but gone, now!
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I'd feel really guilty if I ate back used calories, but would be willing to fill up on water. :smile: :flowerforyou:

That leads me to a question, though. How could a person possibly manage that w/o getting sick (waterlogged and out of balance in terms of electrolytes, etc.) or having to "go" every other minute?