HELP

Options
Ive been extremely unmotivated to loose weight mainly due to depression. Ive gained an extra 3kgs since i was here last. I'm thinking of going on slim right because I actually lost weight on it. Counting calories doesn't seem to work for me. I freak out too much and feel like I cant eat anything.

One question, I'm going to my friends place for tea and I tend to over do it when I go there - especially desserts. Any tips on how to control myself?

Replies

• FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    eat before you go and bring some fruit
  • cropaway
    cropaway Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    How active are you? The more active I am I feel better- the more I sit- the more depressed I feel. I am never sorry when I exercise but I am always sorry when I don't. Do your friends know your goals? I am thankful that my friends don't offer me junk when they know I am working on being healthy. Also, it helps to have someone with the same goals close to you. Good luck!
  • AbbeyDove
    AbbeyDove Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I'll often bring a couple of healthy treat options to share, like fresh berries or ultra-dark, low-sugar chocolate, plug it into MFP *before* I go, and then mostly stick with eating what I brought.
  • sharonavis14
    sharonavis14 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I read your post and was immediately interested. I have been on depression medication for years and have always had to work to keep my weight in check. I went to Weight Watchers and lost 20 lbs. about 6 yrs. ago. I felt great and I could buy SMALLER sizes of clothes. Then I moved and my motivation went out the window. So, I'm now trying to lose the weight I gained. I'm worried about being pre-diabetic and I need to lose the weight. I have been pretty good this first week and will be better as I get back into better nutrition. I exercise, but not everyday. I have really been helped by just reading the posts. Thanks everyone!
  • thegatti
    thegatti Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi Kim,
    I would LOVE to know what helped for you. I get so confused with this sort of stuff. Some days i feel like " what change can happen from one day?" So i dont bother or i eat junk food. The only thing is the "one day" has turned into 13kgs. I want to eat ealthy but i do not want to eat tasteless food. Lunch, dinner and snacks are my bad food areas.
    Also, how much does exercise have to do with weight loss? I go to the gym about once a week. I would like to aim for 3x a week but i have to make time for that. I go on the elliptical. Got any exercise tips too?

Thanks in advance
  • cherylfitbit1
    Options
    Thegatti:

I am no expert at this but my best way to handle outings and friends is:

1. If I know I am going to be out (passing by fast food) then I stock my car with healthy snacks. I always keep something healthy to drink in my car and a few packages of nuts.

2. I "preload:" by filling up with clean food. I load myself up with veggies (which I know one day I will like), a package or two of tuna and a boiled egg. I don't know about you, but with me if I eat carbs then I am fighting the desire to eat carbs all day. I try to remember this fight and how I hate having to fight it.

3. Friends - find the strength to ask your friends for support and tell them what type of support helps you. For example: I had to ask my mother to offering me a "coke" every time I visited her house and to store some packets of tuna for me to eat if I need something when I'm there. Maybe you could ask your friends to have some health snacks. I bet if you brave up and ask for support you will get it! Stay away from people who cannot offer you support - they are not friends.

4. Find someway to exercise. I know when you are depressed you don't want to. This is going to be your hardest fight - calories won't be near as hard. Start slow. Keep looking for what works for you. I have had a pool 50 feet from my couch for 8 years. I never entered it - I was too depressed. Now, I run in the pool and swim some and absolutely love it.

5. Take breaks from your depression. I know this may sound crazy but it worked for me. Start with small segments of time 5 - 15 minutes, decide that you are not going to focus on any of the stuff that depresses you or any of your symptoms. I have to crank the radio up to up-beat music so that I can get my mind off of me. After you have had your break take a few seconds to enjoy how good you feel. Keep increasing your breaks or the length of your breaks. You will be dancing soon.

YOU CAN DO THIS!

You CAN do this!
  • thegatti
    Options
    Hi guys, I haven't counted calories because it became too stressful. Went to a dietitian and she told me portion control was most important. It worked for 2 weeks. I lost 2 kgs and then put it back on near time of the month. Then it wouldn't come back off. I was told 1300 calories would be my daiy limit. Most days I think I do ok. Sundays are kinda my "binge" day. I spend that day with my family and we have chocolate, muffins, chips and maybe ice cream. If I stopped eating junk food that day I know it would help but I wouldn't survive the day.
    Feel like taking laxatives to see if that would help me.......
    Please help :'(
  • DaneanP
    DaneanP Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Laxatives will not help you. Please don't do that.
  • GirlAtThePunkShow
    GirlAtThePunkShow Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have had similar problems. I started by portion control; I was eating enough for two. Then I started to count calories, with no limit. When I saw how many calories I was logging vs what a healthy amount should be, I started reducing my limit by a hundred when I realized that 1600 made me full, 1400 made me full. Then I started to get hungry. I was eating bad food that "cost" too much. I started eating better. Going "all in" on the calorie counting and limits was too much for me, so I broke it down.
  • thegatti
    Options
    Ok. I am getting determined to loose weight now. The biggest size I am in pants are getting too snug :(. Since calorie counting is stressful, I joined tony Ferguson. The shakes are actually nice and they now talk about the 5 food groups, so it actually seems more balanced. Also, my friend gave me her fitbit that she wasn't using. So I will be working on getting up to 10,000 steps each day. I will let you know how well this program works.