Hello New guy here and in a state of being overwhelmed

Options
Russquatch
Russquatch Posts: 15 Member
well, I know it's been coming but now it's a must do situation. I'm 37 year old male and I'm 6'4" and found out I'm at 410 pounds. I did find out my body fat% is at 44% ... but was done with one of those hand held electronic things so not sure how accurate that is. my cholesterol is down 40 points from 6 months ago but I have elevated C-reactive protein 1.5 mg/dl so from the research and been told ... this is a scary level to be at. I've started eating more healthy already... but having a hard time of eating enough now, this site said I should have 2,610 cal/day, trying to lose the 2lbs per week... I have been walking a couple times per week, but now plan on getting a good 30 to 60 minutes per day today I got 2 miles in this morning on the local track, and then 1 mile on mild hilly road.. been trying to do research on foods, brisk walking is pretty much all my dr. wants me to do until I start to get down a few pounds ... is this 3mph brisk walking good enough to be counted as working out for the calculations this site does? Or are they asking for something more intense?

Replies

• jstavix
    jstavix Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the site! You are moving, ANY movement is a step in the right direction! There are a lot of different places here you can go to, I suggest you check out some blogs, they are full of info. Good luck Russquatch :)
  • angelamary61
    angelamary61 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Well done so far, you are on the right track.
    You have made a commitment and we are here to help you.
    The road wont be easy but it will be rewarding.
    Welcome.
  • JeanMachine41
    Options
    How about using a heart monitor? Then you can know exactly what range you are in and not go to slow or too fast.
  • stxnlxy
    stxnlxy Posts: 1
    Options
    Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever. - Lance Armstrong
  • mncdk
    mncdk Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    is this 3mph brisk walking good enough to be counted as working out for the calculations this site does? Or are they asking for something more intense?
    I don't know, but I'll tell you what I do.

I input "I will be active for ZERO minutes a week", and then whenever I go for a walk, I just track 3 mph for ... whatever, say 45 minutes. :)
    When you don't have time to go for an hour long stroll, you just skip a snack (calories are added to your daily goal when you track a walk)
    Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever. - Lance Armstrong
    This from the guy who was doped up all the time? :D
    Pain is a your body telling you "something is wrong, stop that, you're hurting me!". If you experience pain from walking, I would talk to my doc.

But if you suddenly start walking an hour more a day than you're used to, being sore at times is to be expected. :)
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    At your current weight brisk walking will do plenty as far as calorie burn and heart rate is concerned. It's getting your heart muscle used to working harder without making it do too much at once. Think about it, if you do nothing that engages a specific muscle in your leg, but then suddenly work out that muscle like crazy, you're going to pull it/hurt it. Not something you want to be doing with your heart muscle....it's a little more important than a quad or a hamstring. baby steps!!
  • naturesfempower
    naturesfempower Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I started at 11 minutes of low impact aerobics and 10 minutes at level 1 on an elliptical. It was honestly all I could do at first. I'm now running with the kids on the cross country team at school. Start small and build as you are able. Push yourself but don't kill yourself. Strength and stamina will build as you go. Welcome.
  • BlueWynd
    BlueWynd Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you go into the exercise area on the site and key in walking, it will show you different levels ... ex. 3 mph , 2.5 mph etc. You can select the one that closely fits what you are doing and then plug in the time and it will calculate for you. It even calculate leisurely walks. Keep on walking!
  • mncdk
    mncdk Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Btw, you can track your walks with something like Endomondo on your phone, and you'll know how far and fast you are walking. :)
  • Russquatch
    Russquatch Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've also kicked out any food after 6pm ... so really finding water to be my best friend at night LOL
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    3 mph is certainly good enough to count as exercise. Since you're new to this lifestyle change, follow your doctor's instructions on physical activity. Don't overdo it. Welcome to MFP! :drinker:
  • spideywebb77
    spideywebb77 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Yes brisk walking will get you started. When I first started I could barely maintain a 3mph pace. Now that's the lowest pace that I use. Set small goals for yourself and make small changes. Make sure whatever you do its something that you can maintain.

On pain. Soreness is ok. Sharp pains or the kind of pain that makes it hard to support your own weight may indicate an issue. Muscle soreness will go away after a few days. An injury on the other hand probably will not.

Keep up the great work! :happy:
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    A combination of how you feel and what your average weight loss over the week will be good indicators...so will be any improvements on your health.

At the weight you stated you probably will not see any considerable changes in the mirror till you have dropped a bit of excess weight.

But you are on the right track...move more/eat less. Slow and steady as you did not gain it all week and you will not lose it all in one week.

Incorporate small changes into your life style at first:

Park the car further away from your destination and walk the rest of the way.

Use the stairs when you possible.

Etc

When you start feeling fitter I recommend incorporating lifting into your routine to help you maintain LBM.

Good luck and stay safe.

Some links for you...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819925-the-basics-don-t-complicate-it

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/817188-iifym

I am sure people will add more.
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I've also kicked out any food after 6pm ... so really finding water to be my best friend at night LOL
    Not necessary unless you find it to be beneficial mentally...

* If eating more frequently makes it easier to control/reduce calories, it will help you to lose weight/fat.
    * If eating more frequently makes it harder to control/reduce calories, or makes you eat more, you will gain weight.
    * If eating less frequently makes it harder for you to control/reduce calories (because you get hungry and binge), it will hurt your efforts to lose weight/fat.
    * If eating less frequently makes it easier for you to control/reduce calories (for any number of reasons), then that will help your efforts to lose weight/fat

Or in other words, personal preference.
  • CandyJR
    CandyJR Posts: 13
    Options
    You have started...and if you don't quit you are further down the path to wellness than you were yesterday. Water, water, water is your friend. Do what you can today, tomorrow a bit further on the walk, next week you may find that you are walking faster. The journey was not meant to be completed in a day but accomplished over a lifetime.
  • brzflapdx
    brzflapdx Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    If you have a smart phone I suggest getting the RunKeeper app, which is free. It logs your activity and gives an accurate calorie burn. You can log walking, running, hiking, cycling, and other activities. You are on the right track! Way to go!
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    walking has been the best for me - and not even all that brisk. i'm losing weight, my calves and thighs are developing muscles i haven't seen in years, i can go longer and a bit faster comfortably.

btw, brzflapdx - how would runkeeper be any more accurate than any other app like mapmyfitness? does it work with a HRM?
  • CompressedCarbon
    CompressedCarbon Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Walking. It's a very good thing. And you'll find that you can go longer and faster as time progresses. And a bonus is that while you are walking, you'll be able to solve many world problems just because you are away from the zillions of things you would otherwise be doing at your desk or at home. It's a win all the way around.
  • traceywoody
    traceywoody Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Hi. First, take a big deep breath and exhale. That is for the feeling overwhelmed. Second, congratulations on making a wonderful life choice and welcome to the site. You have made a great start. Like others have said, just log your food and log your exercise (it ALL counts) and you are well and truly on your way. It is a lifestyle change and permanent, so it will take time to adjust. You have the support of your doctor and the support of this community. You will do great. One good choice leads to another. All the best to you!!
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I've lost 35 pounds in almost 3 months, ALL I do right now is walk, cause it's the only thing that doesn't make me want to hang myself.

Walking is a fairly standard researched burn.

Walking at a speed of 3 miles an hour, you will burn calories at the following rate:

130 to 140 pounds – 3.5 calories burned per minute
    145 to 155 pounds – 4.0 calories burned per minute
    160 to 170 pounds – 4.5 calories burned per minute
    175 to185 pounds – 5.0 calories burned per minute
    190 to 200 pounds – 5.5 calories burned per minute

For every ten pounds you add, you burn an extra .5 calorie

Eventually I will have to work in weights, but I'll cross that bridge (grumbling no doubt) when I get there.