Vegetarian/ Vegan Cookbook Recommendations

Options
Does anyone have any good vegan or vegetarian cookbook recommendations? I don't like vegan cookbooks that are too reliant on faux foods (faux cheese, faux meats, faux egg) or the sort of vegetarian cookbooks that put cheese in everything. I just want good, clean vegetarian or vegan meals that I can easily incorporate into a nutritious low-cal diet.

I like most cuisine styles and can eat everything besides peanuts.

Replies

• chickpea75
    chickpea75 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Why not try a recipe book with Indian cooking - we don't use faux meats - lots of veggies, legumes, pulses - you can cut down on the fat (ghee/oil) as you like. Also there are an incredible number of cuisines within India itself, as each state has it's own traditional cooking.
    You could try youtube - there are so many videos with Indian veg cooking - Tarla Dalal is a one such veg cook- versatile and tasty.
    (Not all Indian food is fattening, only restaurant food - it's a generalisation. We eat healthy veg food at home).
  • Biggirllittledreams
    Biggirllittledreams Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    [BUMP]
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I have the happy herbivore light and lean. It doesn't use alot of fake stuff and it's diet friendly. Has the calories on the recipes. It's probably my favorite. Diet veg books are hard to find, and it doesn't use 8098908 ingredients in the recipes which is my favorite part.
  • TenderMoon
    TenderMoon Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I just got the "Oh She Glows Cookbook" by Angela Liddon. She has a blog by t he same name that I've been reading for ages. Great recipes, beautiful photos. There's a killer veggie burger recipe in there that I now use over any other. You can read the reviews at Amazon to see if it might be something that would appeal to you.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    I like to go to the bookstore or library and browse. I'm an amateur cook at best, so some of the recipes in highly recommended cookbooks still intimidate me. I am working my way up to some of these, which are nice and free online:

http://engine2diet.com/recipes/favorites/
  • gelar93
    gelar93 Posts: 160
    Options
    If you have an iPhone go on the appstore and search for the following recipe/cooking apps. They're all awesome and FREE!

Gardenplate
    Sweet n Spicy
    Vegeterian
  • BertieGotSkill
    BertieGotSkill Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    http://www.hmhco.com/shop/books/Vegetarian-Times-LowFat-amp-Fast/9780028615882?gclid=COGM6o6Lvr8CFeXm7Aod6ngAVQ

I'm not much of a vegetarian, but
    i like to use this cookbook when
    i am looking for a meatless but delicious meal.
  • LessHeavyVeggie
    LessHeavyVeggie Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    If you have an iPhone go on the appstore and search for the following recipe/cooking apps. They're all awesome and FREE!

Gardenplate
    Sweet n Spicy
    Vegeterian

I had never thought to look for apps! Just searched for these in the play store (android) and have just installed gardenplate and SweetnSpicy veg (there is a non veggie one so make sure you get the right one).

Looking forward to a browse. Thanks!
  • 0smiile0
    0smiile0 Posts: 22
    Options
    I just got the "Oh She Glows Cookbook" by Angela Liddon. She has a blog by t he same name that I've been reading for ages. Great recipes, beautiful photos. There's a killer veggie burger recipe in there that I now use over any other. You can read the reviews at Amazon to see if it might be something that would appeal to you.

I second this!^^^
    Oh she glows is great! She also has a website with many more recipes.
  • Zombielicious
    Zombielicious Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Anything by Isa Chandra Moskowitz! Appetite for Reduction is my favorite. I've yet to find a recipe in there I don't like.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Another vote for "Oh She Glows". Also, I found a cookbook on clearance called "The Vegan Bible" and it's very plant based. I don't do meat replacements either. I am not a vegan, but I don't eat meat or eggs and I find that most vegetarian cookbooks use a lot of eggs.
  • moparjer
    moparjer Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    We often use Forks Over Knives as my husband's heart Dr. ordered "whole foods only" eating. Great ideas!
  • writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Anything by Isa Chandra Moskowitz! Appetite for Reduction is my favorite. I've yet to find a recipe in there I don't like.

Appetite for Reduction is my very favorite cookbook, and I'm not even a vegetarian! I have a few other cookbooks of hers, but this is the one I like the most. The recipes are healthy, relatively easy to make, and most importantly delicious. My favorites are the black eyed peas and collards, the eggplant and chickpea curry with cranberry cashew biryani, and the miso udon stir fry. I've used this book so much that it's falling apart!