fitness band? are they worth it and/or whats the best one?

Options
hi! so ive been seeing these fitness bands that hook up to your smartphone and i was wondering, what all can they do? like i know lots of them can do like pedometer but thats all i really know and im curious as to whether they are a good investment and if so then which should i try for? any help on this would be much appreciated! thanks!

Replies

• 007Charlette
    007Charlette Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I currently have the fit bit but I used to use the body bugg. I switched because the body bug requires yearly membership but I feel it is the MOST accurate. I don't really like the fit bit because it records steps. The body bug recorded ALL calories burned regardless if it was steps, you working on a treadmill or just walking because it used body temperature and had more accurate sensors. The fit bit feels like an overpriced pedometer. I just liked knowing full calorie burn including resting burn and it also records sleep duration and calorie burn. When i was working out and lifting weights I could see the after-burn extended my calories burned and it felt like I was being recognized for my efforts which kept me motivated... I will go back to the body bug probably after i give this fit bit a full month. Cost difference fit bit is $60, the band is $100 and the body bug is about $150 plus the yearly membership I believe is $75.
  • Smirnoff65
    Smirnoff65 Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar Loop, it records both Steps and Calories, works well with the Polar Flow app that is available on Android or iOS. Also links well with a Polar Heart Rate Monitor if you have one, means you can also see your heart rate on the Loop and see extra training data when you use both in a workout. I have been using mine for a about 4 weeks now, have been tracking everything I do for accuracy purposes by using the Loop synced in to my HRM and using another HRM that I have borrowed and using Polar Beat software and I'm finding the calorie burn on both devices is almost identical. I also find that I'm walking that bit further each day in order to reach the goals that the loop is setting for me. I would recommend it and the free software that accompanies it.
  • Smirnoff65
    Smirnoff65 Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Should add that there is no direct syncing as yet between the Loop and MFP, this isn't a biggie for me as I just take a note of my calories burned and add them in to MFP manually just as I do with my food, would be nice to get that intregation though, make this happen MFP/Polar
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I currently have the fit bit but I used to use the body bugg. I switched because the body bug requires yearly membership but I feel it is the MOST accurate. I don't really like the fit bit because it records steps. The body bug recorded ALL calories burned regardless if it was steps, you working on a treadmill or just walking because it used body temperature and had more accurate sensors. The fit bit feels like an overpriced pedometer. I just liked knowing full calorie burn including resting burn and it also records sleep duration and calorie burn. When i was working out and lifting weights I could see the after-burn extended my calories burned and it felt like I was being recognized for my efforts which kept me motivated... I will go back to the body bug probably after i give this fit bit a full month. Cost difference fit bit is $60, the band is $100 and the body bug is about $150 plus the yearly membership I believe is $75.

I had a Bodymedia Fit, which is similar to the Body Bugg. While I think it was more accurate than fitbit, it does NOT record all calories burned. I used it on a stationary bike and it recorded no burn other than normal activity. It also gave me very little credit for an hour of body pump.
  • jcnevarez
    jcnevarez Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Go with the Polar...do not buy JAWBONE....:) Or you can wait the ATLAS band..