Thinking about starting Couch 2 5k program?

Options
I am thinking about starting the couch to 5k program. To those of you who have done it, did you measure your runs by time or distance? I see u can do it both ways. The only reservation I have had is that in October I hurt my knee so bad trying to run that I couldn't walk at all for a few weeks. I think I might have pushed myself to far to soon though and this may be a good solution.

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I just finished week three. I go by time, not distance, so far. I figure I can work on my speed and distance later. :smile:
  • salto
    salto Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Since I started out running on a treadmill, I started running based on time. I started very slowly. I found a program online where you start out running like 1 minute at a time and walking three minutes in between. It was good in the beginning, but I found toward the end it became unrealistic. Like it went from running 5 minutes at a time with 3 minutes in between to running 8 minutes at a time. That was too big a jump for me. Then it went to running like 16 minutes at a time, then the whole 30. I still haven't make 5k, but I can run about 2.5 miles. And (until the weather got too cold) I had started to run outside.

I was actually scheduled to run my first 5K in October, but ended up having gall bladder surgery instead.

My best advice to you is to get fitted for good running shoes right from the start. You really don't want to risk another setback. A good running store will analyze your stride and fit your for a shoe based on that. Also, be sure to stretch and warm up. And start slow. Don't give in to the urge to overdo it! Good luck!
  • oysterboy
    oysterboy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I did a similar program when I started running and found it easiest to measure time. Run for 2 minutes, walk for 2 minutes etc.
    Go to a running shop and get fitted with some proper shoes and take it slow and your knee should be ok.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I'm on Week 2 Day 2 come Monday. I go by time.

I think in the beginning its about endurance and not speed.

Go to www.djsteveboy.com/intervals.html to download the music for couch to 5k. It signals you when its time to start running/walking.
  • Momo84
    Momo84 Posts: 13
    Options
    I'm on week two and seem to be doing ok...I've glanced at week three and it looks somewhat scary to me. You can always repeat weeks/steps if you need to. My 5k race is in April, and it's my first one. I hope I can do it! Good luck!
  • MsFitnFabulous
    MsFitnFabulous Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I'm actually going to do a 5k in May. I have some back problems, but I'm not going to worry about it. I'm thinking that I'll probably walk it since I'm trying to get my family involved even for those much older than me. We can do it!!!
  • LorinaLynn
    Options
    I'm going to do my first 5k at the end of March. I'll be finished with the C25k a few weeks before then. The most I can run now is 5 minutes at a time, but considering I could barely run one minute three weeks ago, that's a huge improvement!
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I'm on Week 2 Day 2 come Monday. I go by time.

I think in the beginning its about endurance and not speed.

Go to www.djsteveboy.com/intervals.html to download the music for couch to 5k. It signals you when its time to start running/walking.

Thanks a lot! That sounds really cool! It keeps u on track.
  • emma3582
    Options
    Well done guys!

I started running in the summer last year as could not afford to go to the gym and needed to do some exercise so i started road running and i managed to do a 10k run on wet ground in 1 hr 12 mins and it was the best feeling ever!! I havent really been running since as it has been so cold but i am hoping to do another 10k mar/apr time so need to start training again!

I was going on distance rather than time as i wanted to lose weight so the longer i could run the better! My goal on my next 10k is to do it under an hour so got a bit of training to do and some weight to lose so it will be easier to run!

Good luck to everyone.
  • BrightonChick
    BrightonChick Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Dont forget a good sports bra!
    I just brought a new one - Shock Absorber and it is fantastic!
    Im pretty big on the bust and these are definitely worth the money!

X
  • LorinaLynn
    Options
    For anyone who doubts if the C25K works... I just ran a mile. I've NEVER run a mile. Ever. In my life. And I could have kept going.

I just started week 4. So four weeks ago, I felt like my legs were going to fall off after jogging one minute. I've been pushing myself a little beyond the required workouts, because I'm doing a 5k with my brother and niece at the end of March, and want to be sure I can do it.

Today's required run was five minute warmup walk, run 1/4 mile (3 minutes in my case, at 5mph), walk 90 seconds, run 1/2 mile (6 minutes), walk three minutes, repeat.

After I got that done, I thought I'd do another round, so I ran another 3 minutes, walked 90 seconds, and started jogging again. I got to the 6 minute mark and thought, "Why not try for 8?" Then "You've gone this far, why not do 10? That's twice as far as you did last week." Then... "Ah, screw it, go 12 minutes... that's a full mile!" So I did! :happy:

I had a total Forrest Gump moment. :laugh:
    That day, for no particular reason, I decided to go for a little run. So I ran to the end of the road. And when I got there, I thought maybe I'd run to the end of town. And when I got there, I thought maybe I'd just run across Greenbow County. And I figured, since I run this far, maybe I'd just run across the great state of Alabama. And that's what I did. I ran clear across Alabama. For no particular reason I just kept on going. I ran clear to the ocean. And when I got there, I figured, since I'd gone this far, I might as well turn around, just keep on going. When I got to another ocean, I figured, since I'd gone this far, I might as well just turn back, keep right on going.

Now, unlike Forrest, I didn't run for 3 years, 2 months, 14 days, and 16 hours. But I could have kept going. Except for one thing. I wore the wrong stinkin' bra! :grumble: I don't have much in the boobage department, so I don't bother with a sports bra, but I do need a t-back or one that I can criss-cross the straps, or the damn things keep falling off my shoulders. Drove me absolutely bonkers, because every time I'd adjust them, I'd bump my ear buds out of my ears!

I was nervous because at the end of next week, the C25K has me jog 20 minutes straight. I was doubting my ability to do that. Now... no problem. Bring it!