Possible Moral Delimma. Should we count sleeping as calorie

Options
Someone on MyFitnessPal posted this website: http://www.fitwatch.com/database/searchexdb.html as a good calorie counter site to visit, as it lists almost everything. Said person also mentioned that this database included how many calories we burn during sleep. I was curious so I typed in my weight 273 lbs, typed in that I slept for about 407 minutes [6 hours 47minutes]. The calculator said I had burnt 794 calories while I slept for that specific duration of time.

I thought this might be high, so I checked it out, and on an ask Yahoo! page, it said a 160 lb person who slept 8 hours would burn 549 calories through sleep. Considering the significant weight difference between myself and the "average joe" weight, I figure that the extra 200 calories I burned sounded about right, as I'm 113 lbs heavier.

Now to my question: Do you guys think we should include sleep as "exercise" / calories burned? I mean, our body is truly burning these calories-but we're not doing anything. I ask because Nich [my boyfriend who is dieting with me on MFP] and I can't seem to agree. On my side, I believe that since our body is truly burning these calories, I think we could post them. I know that our bodies continue to work for us to keep us alive while we sleep, but also that they work at less than full capacity while we sleep. But I can't help but consider Nich's side of the argument, as he states that he does feel he should not post the calories because we're not working while our body is asleep.

What do you guys think? Are you for or against posting sleep calories? Why are you for or against it?

Replies

• TaneeisFitforLife
    Options
    It's already figured into your BMR so don't count it as exercise or an activity :)
  • scott24
    scott24 Posts: 132
    Options
    No, this is part of your basic metabolism rate. It is already factored in here. The only thing you can really count is what is above and beyond what you list as your activity level. It is assumed you will sleep/breath/exist. It's a wonderful thought, though. Made me consider going back to bed!
  • Sillybunni
    Sillybunni Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I agree, sleep is already counted in your BMR- or what the min number of calories you need for your body to function. I would not count sleep calories anymore than I would consider counting the calories my body naturally burns while I watch tv.
  • midgetrapper
    midgetrapper Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    personally, i don't count them. they're like a hidden bonus for me.
  • MonicaBenavidez
    MonicaBenavidez Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Sleeping is not an activity, it's part of life. It's already figured into your BMR, so you'd be counting it twice, essentially. Do not track sleeping as a form of activity.
  • BioShocked89
    BioShocked89 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Can someone explain what BMR stands for to me? Lol. I get so far from your responses that it's calories necessary for us to burn just to live, but what else should I know about it?
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    No. The only exercise you should log is that out of your normal routine. Sleeping, working, etc, is part of your normal routine and already figured in. If you count them again, you are going to skew the results and not get any benefit from the site.
  • 1983Miller
    1983Miller Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posts here, sleep is counted already in your needed calories to survive and sleep is part of that. I only count exercise that I have to work for, because "Nothing comes for Free", if you want to loose the extra weight, you have to work hard at it!
  • karriecook
    karriecook Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't count sleeping, nor would I count chewing food, going to the mailbox, grocery shopping, etc. To me these are everyday life activities and if I burn a few extra calories doing it, more power to moi. I only count intentional exercise that increases my heart rate. But that is just me and everyone is different.
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I don't log my everyday activities. That is definitely a daily activity.
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Can someone explain what BMR stands for to me? Lol. I get so far from your responses that it's calories necessary for us to burn just to live, but what else should I know about it?

BMR- Basil Metabolic Rate

The calories needed to survive if you did NOTHING all day long (think coma). Sleep would definately fall into this.

TDE- Total Daily Expenditure

The calories used to complete your normal everyday activities. This is where the activity level you enterred comes into play. This is the number of calories that would be neccessary to maintain your current weight. It is from here that MFP subtracts your selected weight loss. (1lb/wk=3500 calories/7days=500 calories/day deficit to lose 1lb/wk.)

There are some great "stickied" threads in "General Diet and Weightloss Help" that explain it better than I every could! Here are just a few:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10665-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/6556-the-answers-to-the-questions
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

This one lists pretty much the BEST threads to read:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again