Chub rub

Options
I've been working on losing weight for the past few months, and even though I told myself I would wait until I was under 200 pounds due to past pain, my joints have actually been feeling a lot better than they did back when I was in high school. Not to mention the thought of working to get my metabolism up and going is a very appealing one. The one thing I really need help with is chub rub. I don't know if anyone else calls it that, but that's my friend's term for it and I'm in love with it. What I mean is how much it hurts when my thighs rub when I exercise. And that leaves me hurting for days. If I just work past it, it only gets worse. Does anyone have any suggestions how I can actually work out without hurting myself?

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Running stores sell anti-chafing stuff for that.

http://running.about.com/od/injurypreventiontools/gr/bodyglide.htm
  • Buffalospiritdancer
    Options
    talcum, or baby powder. Anything to reduce the friction. Also, perhaps compression shorts? Best of luck to you my Friend. Stay with it, find something that works, and never give up!!!
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Running stores sell anti-chafing stuff for that.

http://running.about.com/od/injurypreventiontools/gr/bodyglide.htm

This. And you can wear spandex shorts under your regular workout clothes.
  • Frank_Just_Frank
    Frank_Just_Frank Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I used to wear the long cycling shorts to avoid it.
  • wissabear
    wissabear Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    There are products that reduce chaffing, usually used my runners and bikers.

I actually like to wear bike shorts or compression shorts/pants to make sure the fabric stays in place over my thighs. If you don't want to be seen in Spandex (I don't) just wear another pair of lose shorts over the bike ones.

I agree Chub rub hurts!
  • QuiznatoddBidness
    QuiznatoddBidness Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Oh sorry... I uh... I totally thought this was something else. So I'll just get going now. See ya.
  • savioroftheherpingderp
    Options
    Wow, these are all some great suggestions. I'd never considered wearing a second pair of shorts under my normal shorts, because I'm far too self conscious to just exercise in spandex. That seems like the best of both worlds. And as for the baby powder, well I use that in my everyday life. My only concern is making it stick, because it seems like when I do, it isn't long before I have to reapply over and over again. So would a bike store maybe have some of that anti chafing stuff? Because there are several pretty good bike stores around here. Or would I have to go looking for something more specialized?
  • OhReally42
    OhReally42 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I use a stationary bike and with plain shorts I just DIE by the end of my session. I bought some exercise Capris from walmart for like 13 bucks and the problem doesn't even exist any more.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    spandex under regular shorts.

it is the worst. not just painful and annoying, but legit slices in my thighs that need days to heal. the powders and stuff like that has never ever worked for me. stuff wears out after like 8 minutes.
  • bkthandler
    bkthandler Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Next time you are looking to buy new workout pants look for a running skirt or skort, they come with built in shorts or capris and provide better coverage than shorts.
  • kaaaaylee
    kaaaaylee Posts: 398
    Options
    I've found I don't get that with capris, so maybe capris or longer shorts? Also I use the stretchy material as it has no friction really.
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Deoderant!! I have a cheap, crappy one that I use to rub on my thighs. It has changed my life. (I put it on when I wear a skirt of dress, too.) Really - seriously - life changing. For running and exercising, I always where stretchy shorts or pants to prevent it, but for dresses and skirts = deoderant.
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    spandex under regular shorts.

it is the worst. not just painful and annoying, but legit slices in my thighs that need days to heal. the powders and stuff like that has never ever worked for me. stuff wears out after like 8 minutes.

So.....what DOES work for you?
  • maricash
    maricash Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    The author of this article tested out a ton of chub rub solutions. She was just testing for general walking around in dresses and skirts, but some of the possibilities would work for running too I think.

http://www.xojane.com/healthy/chub-rub-thigh-chafing-solutions
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I swear by solid deodorant, like a Lady Speedstick or the like. It works as a barrier and also reduces sweat. I've tried talc -found it needed reapplying too often and was messy to reapply when out. But the second pair of shorts would be the best when exercising, the deodorant is great for every day skirt wearing and the like..
  • sloseph
    sloseph Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Deoderant!! I have a cheap, crappy one that I use to rub on my thighs. It has changed my life. (I put it on when I wear a skirt of dress, too.) Really - seriously - life changing. For running and exercising, I always where stretchy shorts or pants to prevent it, but for dresses and skirts = deoderant.

absolute this, just give you're thighs a quick spray before you go out and hey presto, no chub run, i've no idea how or why it works but it does
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    Oh sorry... I uh... I totally thought this was something else. So I'll just get going now. See ya.

:tongue:
  • shoneybabes
    shoneybabes Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Wear capris and or some type of lotions, i.e. vaseline
  • greengoddess0123
    greengoddess0123 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Powder turns to a gross paste on me, and deodorant gets on my clothes and wears off too fast (I think I sweat a lot--ew!). I wear compression shorts when I run, but somehow, I still rub below the hemline and up in my, um, cracks.

For these reasons, I swear by Body Glide. Got it at a running store after it was recommended by my sister and BIL (who are both triathletes). It's about 3 times as expensive as deodorant, but 10 times better. Rubs on easily, doesn't stain my clothes, and stays on for hours. I'm pretty sure it's some kind of sorcery.

Good luck. I HATE chub rub, even if it means my thighs are so sexy they can't stop touching each other. :smile: