Weight will not budge?? Help?!?

Options
On June 14th I tried to lose weight, I've weighed myself weekly since then, here are my weigh ins:
14/06 132.8lbs
21/06 132.0lbs
27/06 130.2lbs
05/07 129.6lbs.
11/07 130.2lbs

This is really frustrating me as I am in a calorie deficit and I work out at least 4 times a week.

I used to weigh 106 lb and had:
24" waist
33" hips

Now I weigh 130lbs and have:
28.5" waist
36.5" hips

None of my clothes currently fit me and I start college in 7 weeks and I just wanted to fit back into them hence why I started 5weeks ago.
I've been doing month 2 of insanity and running for exercise, although I have only been on 3 runs.
Help?

Replies

• lawlorka
    lawlorka Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Why is your calorie goal set to 1000calories (which MFP would never recommend) and why are you only eating half of this?

Depending on your height, I would say that you are at a healthy weight already, and losing the last few vanity pounds will be slow. Go back and start again with your MFP settings, set it to lose 0.5lbs per week, log your exercise and eat the goal that MFP gives you.

You are going to damage your health by doing what you are doing now.
  • CeriGrindrod
    CeriGrindrod Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I am 154cm which my weight is overweight on the UK body mass index (BMI) chart.
    As soon as I eat more I gain weight straight away.
  • CeriGrindrod
    Options
    Why is your calorie goal set to 1000calories (which MFP would never recommend) and why are you only eating half of this?

Depending on your height, I would say that you are at a healthy weight already, and losing the last few vanity pounds will be slow. Go back and start again with your MFP settings, set it to lose 0.5lbs per week, log your exercise and eat the goal that MFP gives you.

You are going to damage your health by doing what you are doing now.

I am 154cm which my weight is overweight on the UK body mass index (BMI) chart.
    As soon as I eat more I gain weight straight away.
  • smetka01
    smetka01 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Try eating more for at least two weeks. It is logical you will gain weight at first but then you will start loosing again. Your intestines are empty now because you are not eating enough.
    When you will eat more, you will feel better, have more energy and motivation. Also will your skin look better and many other things. If you keep up the way you are now, you will destroy your metabolism and seriously harm your body and organs.
  • CeriGrindrod
    Options
    Try eating more for at least two weeks. It is logical you will gain weight at first but then you will start loosing again. Your intestines are empty now because you are not eating enough.
    When you will eat more, you will feel better, have more energy and motivation. Also will your skin look better and many other things. If you keep up the way you are now, you will destroy your metabolism and seriously harm your body and organs.

I think my metabolism is already damaged, ugh x
  • OANHderful
    Options
    Change your workout routine & increase your calories.

I was eating only 700 net calories/ day sometimes less and gym 5-6 days/ week for a minimum of 1hr 15min. Saw results in the beginning then I hit a plateau for about two weeks. Did some googling and was suggested to increase my calorie intake to a min of 1200 and change my work out routine. I did and have lost almost 2 lbs in about 10 days.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I would like to know if you are logging all that you are eating. Are you drinking enough---8 glasses a day? If not, you are doing it all wrong here. The main goal here is to be healthy, first and foremost, so it's time to do a little soul searching. What do you want long term, not just in a couple months for college. If you are eating what you are logging, it's not nearly enough--ED style. You will have big future problems. My advice is to talk to a proffessional before this gets out of hand. You can lose weight safely, and be healthy--that should be your goal, no matter how long it takes. Best. :smile:
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    You're not eating 1000 calories (and shouldn't anyway) you are eating more than you think. A quick glance at your diary you have numerous quick added calories. you also have listed 0.2 of a slice of bread (really). You have days listed as you only ate 500 calories which I'm assuming are incomplete. If you are actually eating what you log which I find unlikely I'd go and see a medical professional as you either have some issues to address or some medical tests that need to be done. if though as I think you need to tighten up your logging have a look at the links they will help

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=guide+to+sexypants&page=1#posts-18361594
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    You're not eating 1000 calories (and shouldn't anyway) you are eating more than you think. A quick glance at your diary you have numerous quick added calories. you also have listed 0.2 of a slice of bread (really). You have days listed as you only ate 500 calories which I'm assuming are incomplete. If you are actually eating what you log which I find unlikely I'd go and see a medical professional as you either have some issues to address or some medical tests that need to be done. if though as I think you need to tighten up your logging have a look at the links they will help

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=guide+to+sexypants&page=1#posts-18361594

Yes, read these links. At 20, you should be eating a lot more than the 300 -400 calories you are logging. If you are truly only eating this much, please talk to a doctor or mental health professional and get some help now. If that is your baby you are holding, you need to be as healthy as possible for a long time.

The most important thing you can do is change your mindset and begin to make goals to be HEALTHY. Without that piece in place - being skinny will never matter. Get healthy. Please.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    When I would have "plateaus" I would up my steps and standing every day. I still do at maintenance when I suddenly go up a pound or two. I do this because I eat out a lot and have to do a lot of estimating. Another thing I do is at 15 minutes of yoga or barre3 at home first thing in the morning. It wakes up all my muscles and seems to really help. It also helps that I push myself to get 10000 steps in a day (you can wear a pedometer or fitbit) .... you can do this in addition to your 4 work outs a week and it helps. If you were active in school and have had a summer with a greatly reduced amount of walking, etc, it really can pack on those few extra pounds fast. Not to mention that the activity helps me sleep. Which in turn keeps me healthier.

As far as what you eat, I would say revisit this with a nutrionist or your doctor. I have found many people have benefited from this, but the main thing I learned was sugar and "empty" carbs were a big enemy of mine.

Hope this helps, and enjoy College! I did!
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    When I would have "plateaus" I would up my steps and standing every day. I still do at maintenance when I suddenly go up a pound or two. I do this because I eat out a lot and have to do a lot of estimating. Another thing I do is at 15 minutes of yoga or barre3 at home first thing in the morning. It wakes up all my muscles and seems to really help. It also helps that I push myself to get 10000 steps in a day (you can wear a pedometer or fitbit) .... you can do this in addition to your 4 work outs a week and it helps. If you were active in school and have had a summer with a greatly reduced amount of walking, etc, it really can pack on those few extra pounds fast. Not to mention that the activity helps me sleep. Which in turn keeps me healthier.

As far as what you eat, I would say revisit this with a nutrionist or your doctor. I have found many people have benefited from this, but the main thing I learned was sugar and "empty" carbs were a big enemy of mine.

Hope this helps, and enjoy College! I did!

Adding all that extra exercise when only eating 300 - 400 calories a day is going to be difficult. OP, read the links and see your doctor.
  • Icandoityayme
    Icandoityayme Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I was just having this same problem this week so I understand how frustrating and irritating it is when it jumps up and down on the same pound or two. Try changing up your exercise routine a bit. That worked for me. You can also take a day or two off of exercising and then pick it back up. Sometimes you have to trick your body by changing things up a bit.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    It's a process and you can't expect dramatic results overnight.
    I agree with all of the other comments... increase your calories (yup, I am a hypocrite when I say this, but I am trying). Log everything, if you eat out you can always modify the menu choices or ask for substitutions to have a better "estimate" of your calories. Eating 500 a day will certainly prompt weight loss but in the end you won't be happy about it.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    On June 14th I tried to lose weight, I've weighed myself weekly since then, here are my weigh ins:
    14/06 132.8lbs
    21/06 132.0lbs
    27/06 130.2lbs
    05/07 129.6lbs.
    11/07 130.2lbs

So, you're about 5 ft tall, and weigh approx 130 pounds and you've lost 2 pounds in a month...correct?
    That is actually an appropriate rate of loss for someone your size. When you are close to a healthy weight, it comes off very slow...and starving yourself won't make you look better any faster.
    I will also agree with other posters that you are likely eating more than you think. Unless you are weighing your food and logging every bite...you're eating more than you think.

You're weight IS budging. It's just that at your size..it's going to go slowly.

Also, for those referring to a plateau...a plateau is when you go for several weeks, more than a month, and see zero change. 2 lbs loss in a month, for someone who is 130 lbs, is not a plateau, it's weight loss.
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options

All the more reason to start fixing it ASAP. Up your calories, to AT LEAST 1200 and eat all of them. If you exercise, log it and eat those calories back as well. Your weight may go up initially but it will start going back down again. Give it 2 months before you start judging how you're doing.

The road you're on right now leads to an eating disorder, get off this path!
  • Gasset19
    Gasset19 Posts: 8
    Options
    Fruit has no fat and is mostly water, so it'll fill you up while leaving less room on your plate (and in your stomach) for high-cal fare. Don't freak about fruit's carb count — we're talking the good kind of carbohydrates that contain lots of healthy fiber.
  • smetka01
    smetka01 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    It might be true you are eating more than you think. What do you drink? Only water?

I never liked soda, only juices and water with taste. When I started with diet I drunk only water with taste and never put it to MFP because I thought if doesn't have a lot calories (I was always 100 below my goal). One day I looked at calorie value and was totally shocked. 170 calorie per litre. And I drunk more than 2 litres.

Put everything in MFP! If you are eating out and don't know calories, find similar food or estimate ingredients one by one.
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Fruit has no fat and is mostly water, so it'll fill you up while leaving less room on your plate (and in your stomach) for high-cal fare. Don't freak about fruit's carb count — we're talking the good kind of carbohydrates that contain lots of healthy fiber.

Does it have 0 calories too?????
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    14/06 132.8lbs
    21/06 132.0lbs
    27/06 130.2lbs
    05/07 129.6lbs.
    11/07 130.2lbs

This is really frustrating me as I am in a calorie deficit and I work out at least 4 times a week.

I used to weigh 106 lb and had:
    24" waist
    33" hips

Now I weigh 130lbs and have:
    28.5" waist
    36.5" hips

None of my clothes currently fit me and I start college in 7 weeks and I just wanted to fit back into them hence why I started 5weeks ago.
    I've been doing month 2 of insanity and running for exercise, although I have only been on 3 runs.
    Help?

So before I give any advice, I'd like to know - how exactly do you eat 1/5 of a slice of bread?

Are these "vanity" pounds so important to you that you cut a slice of bread into 5 pieces? Or that you only eat 500 calories/day?

I would think health, longer term, is what's important but to each their own.

Anywho - I don't think you're logging everything you eat. Here's why: if you were truly only eating 500 calories, per day, that would create a 700 calorie deficit per day, saying your BMR is 1,200 - which it could be even higher than that but we will just use those numbers for now.

So with a 700 calories deficit per day, it would only take you 5 days to lose a pound. Starvation mode is a myth, if you have a deficit you will lose weight - some of it will be lean body mass, or muscle, but hey you want to be thin.

Bottom line: you're either eating more than you think or you know you're eating more and aren't logging it.

I would say like others, you're within a healthy weight range . . . doing this to your body will cause long term health consequences and it's an unhealthy relationship with food. It could - not saying it will, but it COULD - lead to an ED.

Good Luck!
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
    Options

I doubt your metabolism is damaged. It takes a lot for this to happen. Like someone going through chemo.

If you aren't weighing and logging everything that enters your mouth, this could explain why you aren't losing because you could easily be eating more than you think.