The Water Thing

Options
Hey all! :) I'm new to myfitnesspal.

So, I find it SO hard to remember to drink a lot of water during the day.
Any tips?

Replies

• sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    It is not fun, taht is for sure. You just have to make yourself do it. If there is an easier answer, hopefully someone will share it. I HATE drinking water. I just have to make myself do it. Good luck.
  • laurenward1990
    laurenward1990 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Yeah, its remembering to do it most of the time.
    Before I started dieting, i'd go for a day without a drink sometimes, I just don't seem to get thirsty much!
  • butlersoft
    butlersoft Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    It's the side effect - constantly needing to go to the bathroom as a result of drinking so much water !!!
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I know it's a waste of money and not environmentally friendly, but bottled water is a big help for me and drinking enough water. I always make sure to keep a bottle on the table by the couch, and another one in my bed (sounds silly, but it works), so there's always one close by and I remember to take a drink.
  • wiggleroom
    wiggleroom Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    If it's about not liking water, you could try drinking tea. If it's just about forgetting, then trust me - you'll build up the habit! Just keep a glass or bottle near you at all times. It's just about taking the time and growing accustomed to the new habit. After awhile, you'll grow more attuned to your thirst and you'll find yourself wanting it instead of forgetting.
  • tinkerbell1964
    Options
    I have a 500ml drinking bottle at hand with me and when i've filled it up 4 times i know i've had my 8 glasses a day, it works for me
  • christina_theresa
    christina_theresa Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Before I started to watch what I ate I wasn't much of a water drinker. I mainly drank diet sodas and coffee, I could go for days before having an actually glass of water. Now I start my day with 2 glasses of water before I have coffee and breakfast so that way I have at least two glasses of water a day.
  • for_a_mittengrl
    for_a_mittengrl Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I used to hate it too, but it's getting easier for me. I think I've just accepted that it's something that I need to do. I find it easier to get a sport bottle rather than just pouring some into a glass. The larger bottle makes me drink more at a time, rather than just trying to opt for a small glass whenever I remember or 'force' myself. Then I have several bottles a day and have some during down times in my workout. The "more at once" idea seems to work for me. :) I hope maybe it'll help you, or you'll find another way :)
    Maybe even Crystal Light or something similar, then you have flavor and very minimal calories.
  • jeorwa
    jeorwa Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I carry a camelbac water bottle with me at all times (even carry it in my purse since it doesn't leak) , and several more refillible containers. Since it's got a straw and doesn't leak it's easy and convienient. Since I always have it with me within reach and in sight, it's a LOT easier.
  • hs100
    hs100 Posts: 14
    Options
    Hi, I didn't used to get thirsty much either, but now I drink so much water!

Firstly, take a litre bottle of water out with you to school/work, and just keep it with you. You'll drink it because its there half the time.
    Also, whenever you get hungry, drink a glass of water. I know its not what you fancy when you are hungry, but actually the feeling of thirst is similar to hunger! So half the time when we feel hungry and eat, we're actually just thirsty. So drink a glass of water when you're hungry, wait half an hour and see if you still are, then have something to eat.

Just discipline yourself the first few days/week to drink more water, then you get thirsty more, so will want to drink more water anyway. It will come naturally sooner than you think :) x
  • tinkerbell1964
    Options
    It's the side effect - constantly needing to go to the bathroom as a result of drinking so much water !!!

Yeah i agree , but just think of all the crap you're getting rid of , :wink:
  • hs100
    hs100 Posts: 14
    Options
    Caffeine is a diuretic, so you will be dehydrated if you drink that instead of water, which is bad! :( unless you mean green tea, or decaffeinated. Although remember water is calorie free, whereas tea isn't!
  • christina_theresa
    christina_theresa Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I use to use lots of waters myself but now I use water bobbles. They are more eco friendly, It is a BPA free water bottle with a purified water filter. You keep the water bobble but replace the filters every two months. I paid about $20 for two water bobbles and 2 filters. To replace 1 filter it cost about $6 so in the long run it's eco friendly and cheaper than water bottles :)
  • bluemagic33
    bluemagic33 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I always use a straw, seems to help me be able to drink more. I have sensitive teeth so I don't care for the cold directly againt them.. But when I use a straw and I use the sf flavored drink mixes add 40calories a day but I manage to drink at a minimum of 136 oz a day not including coffee which is probally about 10 cups. The straw really helps I add one flavor pack to 34 oz cup .
  • mjd0109
    mjd0109 Posts: 152
    Options
    I won't allow myself to sit down and eat unless I've had a glass of water or have one with me, that way I'm getting at least 3 glasses in a day. Plus I always make sure to have water with me when I exercise, if its there, you'll drink it!
  • aimibean
    aimibean Posts: 243
    Options
    I always have a 2L bottle of water with me, unless I'm going out and then I carry 500ml bottles because obviously they're easier to carry! Buy a bottle and fill it up. :)
  • mycrazyturtles
    Options
    Like others have said fill a glass up with ice and water and leave it out. If you want to drink all 8 cups have a goal where you have to drink 2 cups before your coffee. Then for lunch drink 2 and so forth. I have given up soda but I like a diet one now and then but if i don't have in 6 cups of water I don't let my self have the soda.
  • jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,275 Member
    Options
    It is hard to drink enough and with the bathroom effect it can be annoying. But you will see results with how your skin looks and your weight loss! I drink a glass in the morning when I take my vitamins. I fill a 24 oz. water bottle that goes with me to work or in my car and sip on that. I also like the SoBe drinks that are mildly flavored and full of vitamins and antioxidants. Read the label and get the ones with no sugar and no calories. Not all of them are free of sugar and calories. It's like drinking flavored water, no carbonation. I drink one bottle of that a day if I have it on hand. About a dollar a bottle at the grocery. Decaffienated tea when you are relaxing also counts as water intake too. My goal is to have at least 5 eight ounce glasses in me before I get home from work, then I can sip on the other 3 glasses in the evening. Don't always meet my goal but what I do get is better than what I use to drink in a day.:smile:
  • laurenward1990
    laurenward1990 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I always have a 2L bottle of water with me, unless I'm going out and then I carry 500ml bottles because obviously they're easier to carry! Buy a bottle and fill it up. :)

I think i'll start doing this! Especially when university starts again.
    Thanks for the replies everyone! x
  • Hoosiermomma
    Hoosiermomma Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    A slice of lemon or lime in my water bottle makes works really well for me. I really like to stay away from any artificial sweeteners. You soon will be a water guzzler! I have to have it!