Eating enough calories?

Options
I have plateaued in my weight loss over the past two months....I have a sedentary desk job, but I do work out at least 4-5 x a week for at least an hour. I am 5'6 1/2 and currently at 231 lbs. My fitness pal had put me down to 1200 calories, but my husband thought that was definitely too few calories so I upped it to 1470. I have been going over my sodium alot.....so I am going to try and do better when it comes to that....but just wondering if anyone can offer up some advice. I am going to continue to keep plugging away but I still have quite a bit of weight to lose and this plateau is getting me a bit discouraged. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!!!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    do you weigh and measure everything you eat with scales?
  • hdacmom
    hdacmom Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hi! My name is Kim and my weight loss journey began two years ago. I was at my heaviest (225) and things were not good. I couldn't keep up with my kids, I was tired all the time, and my doctor told me that my cholesterol was on the rise! I decided something needed to change. I started walking, and eventually doing some weight training. I am down over 75 pounds! I feel so much better, and I love supporting and encouraging people to do the same. I would be happy to be an accountability partner with you. I still have some weight to lose, so we can work at it together! Getting your nutrition under control is a big key to losing weight. I can share what has worked for me if you are interested. If you work hard, I know you can reach your goal! So what do ya say? Are you in?

We are already friends on here....LOL so whatever advice you could offer up would be greatly appreciated!!!
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    How long have you been stuck? If it's only been 2-3 weeks, your body could just be catching up with what you've been doing. If it's been longer, it could be a true plateau.

Make sure you are accurately weighing and tracking everything that you eat or drink. You could be eating more than you think you are.

Another option is to look at your TDEE. THis is the most accurate TDEE calculator I've found: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/. If you do go with the TDEE method, do NOT eat back exercise calories. Speaking of which, do you currently eat your exercise calories back? If not, you want to eat at least half of them back.
  • hdacmom
    Options
    I do measure everything...but I have just been eye balling my protein....I guess I should weigh that to be precise....
  • hdacmom
    Options
    no, I generally do not eat my exercise calories back.
  • KMasz
    KMasz Posts: 2,666 Member
    Options
    I do measure everything...but I have just been eye balling my protein....I guess I should weigh that to be precise....

I am not trying to sound snarky at all, but I feel it might come off that way... I am curious, how do you measure everything, but eyeball your protein? Do you mean you guesstimate the amount of meat?

Anyway, you should be WEIGHING everything on a food scale to be as accurate as possible! Here are a couple of popular linked sites to check out from a couple pros..

start by reading this post : http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you%27re+new+here

and follow up with the link within that post : http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • mserisand
    mserisand Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to eat too few calories but i do. I also end up eating too much sodium. I need to cut down on my sodium. Right now I am on a liquid Diet. Not a juice fast. Although from time to time I do juice a few beverages. I need to work harder on eating more but i get so full after the shakes and the liquid soups.

I am also feeling a little defeated at times. i need some motivation. Anyone want to be my friend and offer help, advice or just some presence. i feel like im doing this all by myself.