Home gym feedback?

Options
I'm looking for a home gym to add some extra weight training in to my exercise plan.

Have been looking at this http://www.benysports.co.uk/v-fit-stg09-3-herculean-modular-compact-python-gym-140-p.asp

Any feedback at all? I'm pretty new to strengths training and weights. Currently just using kettlebells and body weight workouts but quite fancied some actual weights to play with.

This would pretty much fill the spare space in the kitchen!

Is it worth it or do you think I would be better off with something else?

Due to working and having young kids going to a gym isn't ideal.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,679 Member
    Options
    Just remember that whatever you buy, your kids will invariably try or play around with when your back is turned. If I had the room, I get a power rack too. Preferably a Jones rack.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • mattack
    mattack Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Powerrack is for sure the best option if you have the room and the money.
    I would check craigslist, I found a nice Nautilus Power Station for $100

Includes a rack tall enough to set an olympic bar for squats, a bench and upper and lower pulleys to be able to do pulldowns/curls/woodchoppers.

Search Nautilus NT905 or NT907

Great used machine for the money!
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Barbell
    Squat rack
    Bench
    Plates

and the books Starting Strength, New Rules of Lifting, Wendler 5/3/1
  • blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback and good point about the kids, lots of places for fingers to get trapped in that! Will shop around for a power rack. Don't have craiglist here but am sure I can find something.
  • Butrovich
    Butrovich Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Bowflex dial-weight dumbbells. Resistance bands. Bench.
  • blueboxgeek
    Options
    Just thinking on space. How about something like this? http://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk/bodymax-cf415-squat-and-dip-rack-with-spotter-catchers.php

It's not a full cage but at that price could afford a decent barbell and bench too.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,679 Member
    Options
    That's also a decent choice.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • blueboxgeek
    Options
    Cool thanks! Going to sort out the space this week and get it ordered, looking forward to this! Hubby is more in to running but is getting interested so will be great to work out together when the kids are in bed :)
  • coretemp
    coretemp Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    Here's an idea of what a rack would look like in your home. This is what I use in a room upstairs. I'm not sure if the rack you linked to would accommodate loading up a bar for deadlifts very well but if space is limited it looks like a pretty good setup.

szgza1.jpg
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I had two livingrooms and one of them no one ever used so i turned it into a gym ..i went to garage sales and put the word out to everyone i know i am looking for gym equipment ..surprisingly i got most of my stuff for free or very low cost .. re-painted the room and put in a different carpet which was my major investment . i dont regret it a bit ..i use it and now so do a few of my friends who love what i did to it . for me going to a gym is time consuming because i live so far away from everything
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback and good point about the kids, lots of places for fingers to get trapped in that! Will shop around for a power rack. Don't have craiglist here but am sure I can find something.

Decathlon. Or on ebay a company called 'britishfitness' (I think) both £140ish - although the ebay one goes up and down in price. I couldn't find anything on gumtree but you might do better as you're in a different location. Ebay and amazon for plates :)

Btw I second squat rack + starting strength (expensive for the book here but £8 for kindle version).