I lost 5.5 pounds in one day!

Options
But it was not a good thing. I didn't intend to.

I needed to trim my hedges. I did the sides with regular trimmer, but still need to do the top, which I hadn't done for a couple of years, because I need to rent a special long reach trimmer. So I rented a Stihl extended reach hedge trimmer for 4 hours, because I'd done it before and it was a half-day job. However subtracting driving time, left me 3 hours to get the job done before I had to return it.

It was a nice summer day, 80 degrees, not too hot. However, my hedges had grown out of control on the top and the branches were thick. So it turned out to be very heavy work. The trimmer is 7.5 feet long and you have to lift it in the air and wrestle with it at a distance. The joint angle of the clippers kept getting hung up in the branches, which meant I was wrestling and pulling and grunting to get it out. I was sweating profusely and my heart was pounding. It was like weight lifting. (which it was.)

After an hour I was so worn out I drank and rested and started again. Same after next 30 minutes. And next 30 minutes. By the time I was done I was completely exhausted, I had really pushed to get it all done in 3 hours. But when I was done I really didn't feel well and asked my husband to drive it back to the rental center, because I felt nauseous and weak and thought maybe it wasn't a good idea to drive. He was muttering about being in the middle of his projects. Then I turned and just started retching and vomiting on the lawn. He realized I really was not doing well and took it back for me.

I went inside to sip water and sit in the shower. Before I got in the shower I got on the scale and was SHOCKED to see I was down 5.5 pounds since the morning weigh in. Actually I was kind of scared. I've never lost more than 3 pounds in a WEEK, so I knew I was terribly dehydrated. I've never gotten dehydrated before, even in running marathons, ultras, etc. I was fooled by the comfortable temperature and ignoring my physical distress because I only had 3 hours.

But for all of you who want "quick weight loss" here's one way. But I don't recommend it. It was just water weight, and will be right back.

So be careful out there! Stay hydrated!

Replies

• belle_reve9
    belle_reve9 Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    Wow! What a day you had! Are you doing ok today?
  • gogigi333
    gogigi333 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Yup, fine today. Yesterday was a washout though. Spent the evening on the couch reading.
  • aubtimusprime
    aubtimusprime Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    This happened to me about a week ago. I went for two 40 minute walks with my dog where she continually got water and I didn't think about myself. It was probably upwards of 85 degrees and sunny. I felt fine except my scalp was a little burnt... then my boyfriend took me out to a well deserved dinner and I was physically ill because I was so dehydrated. I had to chug three glasses of water and a few iced teas to kick the nausea. Won't be neglecting my own water intake again!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You've lost a lot of water weight, that's all. I'm always lighter after a workout and sweating too much. Just make sure to drink a lot of water today.
  • hj1119
    hj1119 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    You've lost a lot of water weight, that's all. I'm always lighter after a workout and sweating too much. Just make sure to drink a lot of water today.

You probably should have stuck with TLDR.