Ladies how do you apply sunscreen before a run?

Options
I think it's fairly obvious how men can just breeze past this one. I've always been at a loss how to handle this one with any dignity lol. I don't want to stain a sports bra, so I go into my garage (I don't want over spray in the bathroom), take off my SB, spray myself down and go on. Today a squirrel was looking in the window probably thinking wth??? hahaaaa There really needs to be a better way. How do you manage this one?

fwiw, I have no problem spraying sunscreen in a bathing suit. I just really really don't want to ruin my sports bras.

edit: my concern is with my back. I get burned running the beach and need sunscreen.

Replies

• Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I ask my kids to lotion me up.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Is your sunscreen going to stain your sports bra? I normally just rub sunscreen on, but I run with tanktops on so my back isn't exposed.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    You can totally dismiss this response but: Cover up?

It can be argued that lots of sunscreen isn't good for you, and everyone knows that lots of sun isn't good for you, so why not cover up in somelightweight, light coloured, loose clothes? In the hot sun, they're more comfortable than bare skin and then you don't have to use nearly as much sunscreen.

On another note: I think i'm gonig to start checking out garage windows. Who knows what I might see!
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why you worry about staining your sports bra. Do you not wear a shirt or just the sports bra? I wear a shirt, so I just spray the areas that get sun exposure and rub it in and use a face lotion with sunscreen. I don't need to hose down my entire body in sunscreen. Plus the body needs some sun exposure. I only put sunscreen on for my long runs and it will sweat off by the end anyway.
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I use a lotion and I am pretty flexible so I can reach all the spots on my back.

As for covering up, I find once I break a sweat or get a couple of kms in that loose clothing or Tshirts chafe under the arm where the super duper over shoulder boulder holder (AKA the sports bra) sits.

I prefer singlets to run in (or crop workout tops in summer) so I cream up.

You could try spraying onto your hand and rubbing it on so it doesn't overspray onto the bra.
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    Use the lotion kind instead of the spray so you don't get it on your bra if you're concerned.
  • Monkey_Business
    Monkey_Business Posts: 1,800 Member
    Options
    In for the science, ya thats it, the science :-)
  • bonkosaurusrex
    Options
    I like the cover up method. I use UA heat gear and a baseball cap when I run during the day. I usually throw a little screen on my arms, but skip my legs as they are forever white.
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I always wear sunscreen or coverup if I am going to be in the sun for extended periods of time. If the spray type doesn't work well use the lotion type. When I am cycling I wear heat gear tops and sunscreen on my face and legs (plus my helmet has a visor). I have seen what skin cancer can do and after watching doctors rebuild my dad's face after he was diagnosed with skin cancer I took a special interest in skin care.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Use a sunscreen that won't stain your clothes.

Ps I've never found a spray one that wont
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    How do you apply lotion to your back?

I don't run with a shirt on, just sports bra & shorts. I'm running the beach. I'm in for a tan.

I'm a cancer survivor, don't need to be made aware of sun; that's why I use sunscreen.

Sun in moderation helps the body produce Vit D which I need as a survivor.

Swim suits are made to wash out easily. Sports bras are not always. Nor do I want greasy spots on lulu. That's why I asked the question :wink:

Thank you for all the help. What SS does not stain clothes? Thanks
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    How many sports bras do you have? I'd say dedicate one or two to being the ones that get the lotion, that way any stains will be relatively isolated to just those two. Live with it.
    Options
    How many sports bras do you have? I'd say dedicate one or two to being the ones that get the lotion, that way any stains will be relatively isolated to just those two. Live with it.

I choose not to live with it. That's why I'm asking the question, superman. :wink:
  • juiletflt
    juiletflt Posts: 159
    Options
    I use the Neutrogena oil free spray sunscreen. I love it and never had a problem with it ruining my closes. It doesn't feel gross on and I almost don't notice it's on.
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Spray the sunscreen on before putting on your workout clothes?
    Options
    Spray the sunscreen on before putting on your workout clothes?

That's what I do. I think I'll stick with this plan. :drinker:

That squirrel better not think he's finding acorns. lol
  • Melonpaul
    Melonpaul Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I like the neutrogena sunscreen helioplex, I've never had a problem with it staining my clothes, but I also use the lotion. Not sure if you have someone to help you apply it on your back, I'm flexible but sometimes I even need to help to get to those hard to reach spots.
    Options
    I use the Neutrogena oil free spray sunscreen. I love it and never had a problem with it ruining my closes. It doesn't feel gross on and I almost don't notice it's on.

>Muah!< thank you! That's what I needed.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    Options

Thank you for all the help. What SS does not stain clothes? Thanks

Neutrogena

(I also dont want sunscreen to stain my Lulu, so I hear ya)
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    Options
    I like the neutrogena sunscreen helioplex, I've never had a problem with it staining my clothes, but I also use the lotion. Not sure if you have someone to help you apply it on your back, I'm flexible but sometimes I even need to help to get to those hard to reach spots.

this is the one I use as well. I get my hubby or kids to help me reach the tricky spots on my back