advice on running shoes?

Options
I've been doing the 10k trainer (same company as c25k but for 10k instead) and I'm on week 6 day 3, but I've been having some foot/ankle pain. I know it's because I 'roll' my ankles as I run or walk but I'm wondering if anyone has some advice on what kind of shoes can help prevent this? We don't have a specialty running store here and Academy Sports in the next town is less than useless, the employees don't know anything. I want to continue this but I also don't want to end up with an injury when I'm making so much progress. If not shoes, is there some sort of an insert I can put in my shoes?

Replies

• pinkshiningstar
    pinkshiningstar Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    You really should try to find a place where you can go get fitted, especially if you're experiencing pain. Even if you have to drive a few towns over - do it. Better than continuing on with shoes that don't work for you and ending up in a doctor's office. :smile:
  • RangerRN507
    RangerRN507 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Finding the right shoe isn't something your going to find here like pinkshiningst said you should get fitted. A good running store will have you run naturally and watch the way you stride, the way your foot falls, the way you roll in or out and they will fit you with different shoes and have you run around in them as see if they feel good. Even after all the years Ive been training I still wonder if my shoes are really the best or not so ya.
  • kzertuche
    kzertuche Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, I guess it's time to start searching for a real store :)
  • webhopper
    webhopper Posts: 2
    Options
    I agree, for feet that "pronate", you will need a shoe that offers stability in one direction or the other. A nuetral shoe will not work, and a shoe that offers the wrong stability is even worse. Best advice is to do as another user suggested and drive whereever you need to drive in order to get the correct shoe. Otherwise you are risking injury.
  • Jlennhikes
    Jlennhikes Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I went to Roadrunner because I was adding miles and getting a bit of a knee issue. The workup they did shows I could use a little stability, but not much, and I got the Asics GT-2000 2. They are super comfortable and so far seem to be better on my knees. It's good to go once and get a little analysis of your gait, but it's not rocket science. Some shoes provide more stability, some more cushioning, etc. Now that I found a style I like, I can order the next pair online and save money :smile:

I found this brief explanation of the different type of running shoes on Zappos:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/post/new/1353088-advice-on-running-shoes
  • RedRider230
    RedRider230 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a good running shoe store to go to...how much do your feet roll in? If it's a little bit try Brooks Adrenaline. If you're a moderate pronator try the Brooks Addiction. If you roll in ALOT try the Brooks Ariel. These are all "motion control" shoes and the goal is simply to put your feet back in that "neutral" position.

There are several great brands out there with Brooks being one of the best in my opinion. If you have no other resources in your area you could see a podiatrist and have them do a gait analysis to see which direction you should go. I would make sure they are shoe savvy before you go though. And perhaps your insurance would cover the visit.

I've spent many years working in running shoe stores, I can tell you that it's ultimately the best to have someone assess what you need and try on all the options you can. But still, it's not rocket science, find a store that sells Brooks and try on the different models. (See first paragraph, lol) Good luck with your running adventures and I'd be happy to help with any advice, just send me a message. :smile: