Wrist Pain During Bench Press

Options
What's up to all!

Just wanted to get some feedback about the bench press. I recently got back to benching, and since I've been away from it for a while, I only stuck to 135 pounds (plate each side) to get the form down again. Being that this is relatively light weight, I'm concerned over when I start pushing heavier loads. After any set, my right wrist has a sharp pain right after releasing the bar. I've read up on this and some say it's tendinitis. I also make sure to keep my wrists as straight as possible to take unnecessary pressure off the wrist joint. But the pain still persists. Any ideas about cause and treatment? Thanks! Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Replies

• paj315
    paj315 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I don't know about treatment but I have seriously weak/painful wrists. What helped me the most is using wrist wraps. You have to get them really tight for them to do any good but I can bench and ohp without pain if I use them. hope that helps!
  • jonathandavid_t
    jonathandavid_t Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Maybe worth getting someone to check your wrist angle while you're pushing the bar.
  • ChunkLaFunk
    ChunkLaFunk Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Try a false grip where your thumbs are in line with your other fingers, not wrapped around the bar. If you're not used it, it feels like you'll drop the bar but you won't. This is the grip most power lifters use for their lifts.

If this doesn't do it, go to dumbbells so each hand can find a comfortable position. Use a regular grip for these.