No shoes?

Options
sab53
sab53 Posts: 22 Member
Does anybody else like to workout in bare feet? Whenever I do my at-home-workouts I prefer not to wear shoes. I have a soft, carpeted surface that I use. Has anybody experienced pros or cons to doing this? I have been doing this for a while and haven't experienced anything negative yet as far as foot/ankle problems. But I am concerned about whether or not this would be wise in the long run. My routines involve various combinations of HIIT and free weight strength training.

Replies

• RangerRN507
    RangerRN507 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Well a lot of major lifts are often done bare footed, like squats, and I myself like to DL barefoot, then some people like to spend a retarded amount of cash on flat soled "lifting shoes" but the smartest ones wear converse all-stars...ever see a guy squatting in Converse...you may think he looks funny but that dude is smart because he's basically lifting in the equivalent of barefooted or "lifting shoes"
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    For home workouts (eg Insanity), I did it bare foot for some time on a soft carpet. Using shoes or going bare foot doesn't really matter here I think. I prefer doing workouts bare foot, apart from lifting.

For lifting, a pair of Converse shoes or a shoe with a similar flat sole (I use Nike Janoski's) are your best bet. There really isn't much cushioning between your feet and the floor, so squatting is more natural. But if you use running shoes for this, there's a good chance your balance won't be as good.

For HIIT, you could always do it barefoot if you're gym allows it. It removes a lot of risk when using running shoes as it pretty much eliminates heel striking. But your best bet is a pair of running shoes which fit your feet.

For the mixed days of HIIT and strength training, you could always bring along another pair of shoes..
  • fooninie
    fooninie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I like shoes. I have a pair for lifting (UA) I have a pair for short distance running (Saucony Kinvara) another for long distance running (saucony mirage) and asics for cross-training. But, I like shoes, plus, I am afraid of dinging my toesies...

So, I'm a shoes kinda gal...
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I do as much as possible in bare feet. I hate wearing shoes. I hate buying shoes.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I wear Merrell minimalist shoes (4mm cushion, 0mm drop), but I use them for lifting and running. I'm not comfortable going to my gym barefoot. In the long run, I think you're good going barefoot if that is what's comfortable for you.
  • cstringfellow2013
    cstringfellow2013 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I lift at home bare foot. And it makes me happy.

ETA: But I do wear thick socks on the elliptical.
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    dead lifts are best in bare feet - or near to bare if you want shoes to keep att eh blood contained if you drop something on your foot

squats are better in lifting shoes - the lift in the heel does help

I prefer to do my kettlebell lifting in bare feet but they do not allow you to compete without shoes on so I use lifting shoes for that

On saying all that if you are lifting on carpet rather than a hard floor it`s sort of missing the point of pushing off a solid surface
  • sab53
    sab53 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Cool, thanks! I just wasn't sure if there was a chance of injury from it or not. Carpet is my only option here (apartment living). But all I care about is progress at this point, which I'm seeing. :)
  • debraran1
    debraran1 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I am barefoot or in socks for most of my indoor workouts. Sneakers always feel so heavy, even running ones. I do have carpet though and use a mat.
  • torichantel2005
    torichantel2005 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I normally workout barefoot. If I lift weights I wear my Brooks running shoes, only so I have a small (very small) amount of protection if I'm dumb and drop a weight on my foot. I did just move my workout area to my unfinished basement, so I've been wearing shoes more often down there because there is no cushion.