How can I get more protein in my diet? Help me!

Options
Hey everyone.

I have been on mfp for a long time but I recently re-committed to my fitness journey. I have been using the 'Get Running' app to start running in addition to using Nike Training Club for strength training.

Can someone look at my diary (from this past week) and tell me how it looks and how to get more protein in my diet.

p.s i ordered whey protein powder already

Replies

• white__wizard
    white__wizard Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Turkey = Low fat + high protein.

But also, whey power once it arrives.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Eat more protein? It seems like your most calorie dense foods are lower in protein (bagels, rice, etc). Maybe try limiting those to half a serving or a bagel or rice but not both in the same day. Then, double the serving of chicken or whatever your protein is. I usually have way more protein than you do, so feel free to check out my diary.

Also:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/926789-protein-sources
  • leodru
    leodru Posts: 321 Member
    Options
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Google: High Protein Foods
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    You want to make sure that your protein powder is not tainted with heavy metals (the ones that are sourced from China and other foreign sources often are tainted). Eggs are a great source of protein as it is extremely absorbable. I eat a minimum of three a day. Organic cheese and nuts are good sources of protein as is fish. Meat, of course is a good source of protein. Are you a vegetarian? Legumes are a reasonably good source of protein too--beans of all sorts.
  • BrianHageman
    BrianHageman Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I poach a couple of chicken breasts on Sunday night. Once they cool, I shred them, but I don't season them (maybe just a little salt). Then I add them to multiple dishes throughout the week and season them to match the meal.

-A little Tipatio and it is great on a black bean burrito.
    -Plain and it is great on a caesar salad.
    -Add a little BBQ sauce and have the chicken with some steamed veggies as a quick meal.

If you don't over cook them, you can even throw it on the grill to give the chicken breast a little char if you have it as the main protein of a meal.
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I don't see any dairy except soy milk in your days not sure if that's a limitation for you or not but that would be a great source of protein. Adding a little shredded cheese to salad, mixing some plain greek yogurt into your salad dressing, side of cottage cheese with a meal or as a snack. All those are quick and easy but again if you need to avoid dairy not helpful.

I'd suggest a couple of things, first customize your food diary, you might find the 40% carb, 30% fat and 30% protein works better for you, since I switched to that I find I feel better and it seems more balanced.

For breakfast add a little meat to your day, it looks like you enjoy bagels so perhaps try a bagel sandwich adding a little lean ham or roast beef with the cream cheese and hard boiled egg. I saw you eat salmon so that's another good one to mix into the breakfast. Maybe switch things up a little there too, have an omelet once in while adding cheese and/or meats with some veggies and if you still want/need that starch have half the bagel or get a slice of whole grain bread.

Keep some precooked frozen shrimp around, that's a good snack and quick to defrost. You can add it to a salad, eat them with some cocktail sauce or toss them into a stir fry or pasta dish towards the end of the cooking process.

I avoid processed meat myself because it tends to be loaded with sodium but that's always and option if sodium isn't an issue for you.
  • BlueButterfly94
    BlueButterfly94 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt can be a good, tasty source of protein! I eat yoplait's greek yogurt 100 calorie pots :D I believe 9-13 grams of protein each depending on which you get. My favourite is the boston cream pie; 13 grams and when compared to another of the same amount of protein less sugars!
  • sc003ro
    sc003ro Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt
    cottage cheese
    chicken
    turkey
    lean ground beef
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Ribeye steak, roast chicken with wild rice stuffing and mushrooms, barbecue pork ribs, roast duck, beef stroganoff, beef and vegetable stew, fried chicken, meat lovers' pizza, rare roast lamb, the list is endless. Who needs protein powders? Yuck, just eat real meat.
  • fatnutjob
    fatnutjob Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Your meals are very carb-heavy. I'd recommend joining Pinterest and checking out their recipes for ideas on protein-based recipe.

What are your macros set at?
  • JonathanLepoff
    JonathanLepoff Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating bagels and other items loaded with "bad" carbohydrates. Peanut butter on a slice of whole wheat bread could replace the cream cheese and bagel
    certain wild caught fish are good sources of protein but read up on which ones are safest to eat
    Tofu is a good source of protein and can be very tasty
  • fitrunner18
    fitrunner18 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys! I'll try to adjust my meals using your suggestions
  • oksanatkachuk
    oksanatkachuk Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes does it for me. Instead of breakfast 2 scoops.
    I m open to critique though
  • katieai
    katieai Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian since I was 8, so I've been fighting the protein fight for 17 years.

Here are some of my go to sources:
    Eggs (hard boiled is convenient)
    Peanut butter
    Beans (my life)
    Lentils
    Quinoa
    Greek yogurt (twice the protein of regular)
    Light string cheese
    Lowfat milk
    Chia seeds (high protein and fiber)
    Trail mix (nuts and seeds)
    Morningstar Farms meatless products (I know there's controversy over soy protein, whatev)
    Cottage cheese

Maybe that helps. Good luck!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    eat meat