Calories of frozen veg? Weigh b4 or after cooking?

Options
On the back of my bag of frozen vegetables it says serving size 1cup (85g)
When I measure out 1 cup of vegetables and weigh them it's usually about 20g-50g more than 85g

Should I go with the 85g measurements? Or should I just cook them and then measure out 1 cup.
What would you do?? Tks x :laugh:

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If I had weighed them, I'd use the weight.
  • Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I weigh them before I cook them
  • MJ5898
    MJ5898 Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I weigh foods after cooking so that I know the actual quantity I am consuming. But then, I never tried weighing veggies while they are frozen. I usually steam the entire bag (broccoli for instance indicates 4 1-cup servings). Then, I split the cooked veggies between my wife and me. When I track it here, I do 1/2 the package. Never checked to see if it is actually equals 2 cups each of cooked veggies though. :ohwell:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I eat the whole package so I just use "one container" easier.

Add my 1/2 tablespoon of butter and call it a night.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I eat the whole package so I just use "one container" easier.

Add my 1/2 tablespoon of butter and call it a night.

Typically it's not 'one container' either, but either way, it won't make a huge difference as it's veggies.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    well it says- one container- and then lists the number of whole servings- like 4 cups or whatever.

But yes- there is typically the base serving size- then either half or whole- and often times- it does indeed say one container.
  • victoria6h
    victoria6h Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I can't do the container thing as I've bought a big 6lb bag of frozen veggies from Costco. Just weighed them frozen. 1 cup of frozen veggies isn't very many! :cry: hahah I love vegetables :love:
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Oh- yep- that won't work!!!

you could always divide in advance, I want to say the normal size packages are like 4-5 cups- it's sad looking LOL- hence my whole 'container'. because yes- veggies. they are delicious.