Angry at myself!

Options
I was doing so well today- I work as a cook at a nursery school, and as it's last day of term there were LOADS of treats from parents in the kitchen with me- I'm serious, 5 big boxes of chocolates, 4 big bags of sweets, a box of millionaire shortbread, a box of rocky road bites, a small box of Millies Cookies and a massive decorated cookie, like the size of a family pizza. I had managed to get myself in the mindset that these treats weren't anything to do with me, so I couldn't have them, and ended up having ONE small cookie. That was it. Go me! Then...

... I came home and gorged on paella, fresh cream strawberry shortcake, an entire box of Maltesers and 3 glasses of wine. FFS.

I could bl**dy cry. Why have I got such short-lived willpower?! I know I'll be over it by tomorrow, I'm just so damn frustrated with myself right now :sad:

Replies

• smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Just take a deep breath and start over fresh at the next meal. *kitten* happens.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    It's one day, dearie. Adjust your calories for the weekend to make up any overages, and move on. You DID resist what was at school, it's a small victory, even if you went over at home.
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    yeah no sense beating yourself up about it.....you did it, you admitted it, you learn and you move on \m/
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I do that a lot, too... behave in public, then "reward" myself in private. Which is why I very often have to find something to occupy myself with as soon as I get home.

You'll do better tomorrow. :)
  • maizerage66
    maizerage66 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Hey now, don't bash yourself! You're not alone, I don't have the best willpower in the world either. It's only one day, just accept it, adjust your next few days and move on. You'll be fine! :flowerforyou:
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    This is why people preach moderation, as sometimes too much restriction leads to binges. One small cookie might not have been enough to satisfy you. You could have had a bit more and had a lighter dinner, or had a bit more and simply thrown in an extra work out... or better yet, thrown in a bit more and realized it's just a day.

I understand your frustration because you set a goal and feel you didn't reach it. Would you be angry at your best friend or your daughter or your sibling if they, after having lost almost FIFTY pounds, were hard on themselves for eating more than they planned? Be as loving and understanding of yourself as you would them.

Although, to be honest, the stuff you "gorged" on at home sounds way better than candy :love:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Try to determine what led you binge eat all this food. Were you overly hungry? You resisted the sweets at work, but did you eat enough food? In resisting all those sweets did you set yourself up for failure later?

Identifying the reason can help avoid repeating the behavior, though it's not always easy.
  • Saramelie
    Saramelie Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I do that kind of thing too... Probably a stress build-up from resisting all those treats and then, boom, stress release with food once home... It's hard. Be gentle with yourself. The process also includes finding out at what to do to relax, without using food (talking for myself). Keep up the good work!!
  • AmandaLY17
    AmandaLY17 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    they say willpower is a muscle, if you work it to fatigue there its hard to use it later. Bright side is you are probably still better off than if you went crazy the first time :)

(and I soooo know how you feel!)
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Just take a deep breath, and move on. I struggle with triggers like that too- a lot of temptation. The key will be recognizing the trigger and coming up with ways to deal with it when it arises. I have read some people try to take a walk instead or play with their dogs. Others use drinking water or tea to move past cravings. Find something you like and enjoy and turn this bad day into a learning experience. You can do it! And thanks for posting so others can learn and take strength from the MFP community =)
  • jnewberry81
    Options
    You have to live a little. This is a once a year deal. You can make it up in like 3-4 days. No worries at all.
  • asciident
    asciident Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    It's one day. Get back on track tomorrow. Don't punish yourself--everyone slips up once in a while. The difference is in not giving up when you falter!
  • carolinelock750
    carolinelock750 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I know how it feels at the end of term i work in school too. I had too many indulgences today and we have another week and a half to go! Feeling angry at myself too but tomorrows another day x
  • sjebert
    sjebert Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I accept and you must too that you are going to have off or bad days, they are just going to happen. The key is not to let one or two bad days in a row sidetrack all the hard work you have been doing. Beating yourself up for one bad day is not what you need to do, just accept it and move on to tomorrow.
  • Bexchubb
    Bexchubb Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Wow. You know what, you see so many people on here b*tching that they dont get the support they need, but Ive found nothing but lovely people on MFP. You guys are so supportive and so helpful, thankyou. :flowerforyou:

What a few people said about it being a reaction to avoiding the temptation earlier in the day- that rings a bell with me, I have done it before, now I think about it. I didnt even see that trigger. Wow, its a real learning curve, this losing weight malarkey, huh?

Also-
    Would you be angry at your best friend or your daughter or your sibling if they, after having lost almost FIFTY pounds, were hard on themselves for eating more than they planned? Be as loving and understanding of yourself as you would them.
    - IVE LOST NEARLY FIFTY POUNDS. How had I not realised that yet?! Oh my god :tongue: Alright, I think I need to take the advice and get the heck over it, lol.
  • asciident
    asciident Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    That's the spirit. Good luck and keep at it! :)