Lack of energy on Keto

Options
Hi, I've been doing Keto for 24 days now. I've lost a total of 7 lbs so far. I know its not much but I was eating pretty low carb before so I just upped my fat intake. Right now my marcos are 5 carb, 20 protein and 75 fat. My diary is public so feel free to take a look. My point is ever since I started on Keto I have zero energy! I used to be able to do 30 minutes of aerobics a day and after I would take my daughter for a walk in her stroller for another 20-30 minutes. But now I just don't have the energy. Lately my carbs have been as low as 5g a day. Could that be a reason why? Are they too low? I drink black tea almost every morning or bulletproof coffee. But it still doesn't seem to help. Any suggestions?

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need some Carbs. Just a random thought
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    My suggestion would be to eat some carbs.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Pretty typical side effect of any low carb plan. Carbs are like rocket fuel. The only people that I personally know that do well with this kind of thing are people who are for the most part sedentary. I don't know any active individuals personally who low carb....I tried and my training went to total ****.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    If you want to continue keto, then definitely don't eat carbs. If you don't want to continue keto, then eat carbs.

If you want to continue keto, for some people it takes a longer time to adjust -- the "carb flu" -- it's when the body shifts from using glucose as a primary fuel for energy to ketones. But, when you eat carbs, it throws you out of ketosis. Most people adjust within a week or two, but I've heard stories of some people taking over a month -- you just may be one of those people. So, it's about whether you want to stick it out or just decide that this isn't the plan for you. Plenty of people just don't like keto, while others love it.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    If your current weight loss plan makes you feel this way then maybe this isn't the plan for you. Do you plan to be this way for the rest of your life? Is there any reason you can’t up your carbs while still losing weight?
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Back when I use to strictly low carb, less than 30 a day, the first week or so was rough energy wise. But eventually that stopped and I was left with steady energy, more than before, with no energy dips and crashes. I don't find carbohydrates particularly energizing, especially taken in large quantities.

The only time I found that energy was an issue was when I wasn't eating enough fat.
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Eat a cupcake.
  • SergeantNarwhal
    SergeantNarwhal Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    The first few days - maybe even 3 - can feel low energy. In my experience eating more, especially good fats, and upping my water helps a lot. Eventually things even out and for me at least I've had very even, solid energy.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    You're not fat-adapted yet. It took me about two-three weeks before my energy returned. In the meantime, take care of yourself. Drink plenty of water, make sure you're getting enough electrolytes and salt, and don't try to over-exert yourself. You'll get your energy back in time.
  • Kylies_mom87
    Options
    I enjoy eatting Keto. I can totally see why people choose this as a lifestyle. I don't want to eat carbs! For the first two weeks I defiantly had the "Keto flu". I don't feel sick now, just lazy. Maybe I should just start drinking more coffee and hope this passes. Thank you for your input. :)
  • purplenurse711
    purplenurse711 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Simply put, "you need to eat some carbs." Have you thought about doing "carb cycling" it's an alternate between low carb and high carb days. I'm doing that and so far I'm averaging around 2-3lb loss per week.
  • purplenurse711
    purplenurse711 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy Keto that's fine. Just take care of yourself.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need some Carbs. Just a random thought

QFT
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's just because all the carbs I eat have poisoned my brain, but i think if you have to "adjust" to a diet (and it is interfering with daily activities) that's not medically necessary, you probably shouldn't be doing it.
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    um, you're eating like 700 calories with those macros. Eat more poptarts. Like now.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    You have better luck getting answers on the keto board here.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/1160-keto
  • LazerMole
    LazerMole Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    You do not need to eat some carbs, as others are saying.

It is absolutely normal, and expected, and discussed ad nauseum on Keto forums, that it may take you 6-8 weeks to become fully fat-adapted and return to your performance levels in both cardio and weight-training.

But after those 6-8 weeks, I'd say about 95% see an increase in performance.

Patience. Patience is the key.

I've been doing Keto for 6 months now (I had a month hiccup in there when I quit smoking and went a little off the reservation), but after the first 2 months, and busting my *kitten* struggling to jog half a mile at a 12 minute pace, I noticed one week that I was easily maintaining a 9 minute mile pace for a mile, no problem. This was back before I quit smoking.

Take care of yourself, and again - patience.
  • LazerMole
    LazerMole Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    um, you're eating like 700 calories with those macros. Eat more poptarts. Like now.

She was talking percentages, not grams :P
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
    Options

She was talking percentages, not grams :P

Nice catch :flowerforyou:
  • Kylies_mom87
    Options
    Thank you.