Yes, I am a SCALE ADDICT.

Options
I think that most folks on MFP weigh themselves about once per week. A few stronger individuals don't weigh themselves at all. They let their clothes or body measurements be a guide to how they are doing; while others weigh daily, though it is not recommended.

Why is it not recommended to weigh every day? Because the scale can be very misleading and can often set you up emotionally for a 'good day' or a 'bad day', depending on the numbers that you get.

There is also that other problem. Your weight can change by many pounds over the course of the day; and your body can hold weight (pounds!!!), even when you are practically starving yourself to lose "just one more lousy pound".

Younger women are especially susceptible to fluctuating weight, due to hormonal changes throughout the month. Water retention is NO JOKE for some folks, especially women with PMS. A woman with PMS (premenstrual syndrome) can be dangerous around a scale. Their emotional level can become ballistic, if the scale shows the wrong numbers. :noway:

As for me...at the ripe old age of 69, I don't have to be concerned with PMS; but I may be a bit OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder), when it comes to getting on the scale. I actually chart my nighttime weight, my morning weight, weight lost during the night and change of weight (plus or minus) from the previous day.

Why would I do that? 'Cause I am a SCALE ADDICT.

When I go to bed, I know what I weigh and try to calculate what I think that I will weigh in the morning. I am not above asking God for a little help with those numbers in my bedtime prayers; and I have been known to say a little prayer, just before I step on the scale in the morning. I'll take all the help I can get.

What is even more ridiculous than that obsessive behavior? Every time I wake up during the night to 'go potty', I also weigh myself. That can be several times per night...11PM, midnight, 2AM, 3AM. 4AM and so on and so on. Of course, I weigh myself naked; so, each time that I get up to go potty, I have to take off my nightie, before stepping on the scale.

Yes. I am definitely a crazy, old lady. :happy:

Do I get upset, when the scale gives me 'bad news'? A little bit, but I get over it quickly and try to focus on 'sticking with my food plan' which know has been very successful (119+ pounds lost so far) and keep going. On the good days, I am joyful and can hardly wait to tell my hubbie and my MFP friends about my 'new lower weight'.

'Good days' or 'bad days', I thank God every day for my new life in a smaller, healthier body and all of my dear friends on MFP.

How many of you are Scale Addicts too? I know that I cannot be alone in my addiction.

Replies

• He1loKitty
    He1loKitty Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself like three times a day! Haha. But I don't take it too seriously.
  • IHateThinkingOfAUsername
    Options
    I'm a daily weigher :)
  • booksgiver
    booksgiver Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    No fan of scales because as you said weighing yourself obsessively may not be an accurate account of one's progress. I only weigh in once a week and it's great when the scales show a loss and I feel like I can trust the reading. I also have some heart failure so I take lasix for fluid retention and that alone can account for up to 3 pounds. I take it every other day so I only weigh the morning after I've taken it. I also get on the scales clothed because weighing is the first thing the nurse does at my doctor's appts. and I'm lucky if I get to take off my shoes first. We each have our own ways of motivation and what works great for you is obviously the best choice for you.
  • sidney7305
    sidney7305 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hi, My name is Sidney and I'm a Scale Addict......ultimately, I had to have my son hide the scale because I would obsess over it. So now he only brings it out on Sunday mornings for my weighing. I have to remember that no matter what the scale says I have to continue with the lifestyle changes I have made. Even once I lose the weight I will have to continue being active and eating healthily.
  • SamLD88
    SamLD88 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily because I like to know my body's pattern. I know that every 3-4 days, my weight spikes from retention, but it doesn't mean that I suddenly weigh more. I think it's important, especially over just getting a snapshot. If I get one chance at weighing myself a week and somehow, it falls on a retention day, it will ruin me. It has before. So I weigh daily.
  • lukewind
    lukewind Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I usually weigh myself twice a week. I try to do only once a week but its too tempting not to, but I have finally gotten to the point where if what I see on the scale isn't positive I know that it doesn't really mean anything because on my main weigh in date all will be good.
  • HannahLynn91
    HannahLynn91 Posts: 238 Member
    Options

How many of you are Scale Addicts too? I know that I cannot be alone in my addiction.

I weigh myself every morning. In fact, I look forward to it. As soon as I have to go pee in the morning, whether its at 4 or 5 or 6 I will strip down and step on the scale afterwards. I however, do not like to weigh myself at night.

I know a lot of people do not like weighing everyday because they get attached to the number on the scale. I don't get that feeling if it goes up some. I do it because I like to see how my body fluctuates everyday and I always take into account what I ate the day before to see what food made me a lil' heavier.

I was so out of tune with my body before that now I feel that I have to "tune in" and really learn what affects my body.

(Edit: Spelling)
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    yes, I have been watching my weight go up daily. :cry:
  • Saramelie
    Saramelie Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I am a scale addict too. This is why i have decided to not weigh myself for a whole YEAR!! I'll see how that goes, just following my diet and exercise routine. At this stage of the game just losing 30 pounds during this experiment would be great! (I have about 65 to go ). It is not about going fast for me, it is really about learning from my body and living the process without constant numbers in the way...
  • Hanfordrose
    Hanfordrose Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I am a scale addict too. This is why i have decided to not weigh myself for a whole YEAR!! I'll see how that goes, just following my diet and exercise routine. At this stage of the game just losing 30 pounds during this experiment would be great! (I have about 65 to go ). It is not about going fast for me, it is really about learning from my body and living the process without constant numbers in the way...

You have more courage than me. I want so badly to see those newer... lower numbers. My next small goal is to break into the 150's. That is just one pound away.

When I get to 145, I am going to make a special visit to my doctor to let her see me at a 'healthy weight' for the first time in more than 50 years. I know that she will be happy for me, because she has watched me struggle with so many medical problems over the years due to my extreme obesity. To go from almost 290 pounds to 145 will be a miracle to celebrate with my sweet and oh so patient doctor.
  • ketandnan
    ketandnan Posts: 9
    Options
    this is an awesome testimony, I too am a Christian, and I pray daily for God to give the strength to do this for the last time. I want so bad to be at a healthy weight! I know God doesn't want me to be miserable like this and to have so many health issues either. I want to be able to do more things for him but how can I when I can't even hardly get around? I would love to go on a mission trip someday but I probably wouldn't fit in an airplane seat!! So please mention my name also when you pray. I am so happy that you have made it!! You are an inspiration to me and others.
    God Bless!!!
    Nancy
  • zahid222
    zahid222 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I believe to attain something in life you have to obsessive. If not it is unattainable.( For me it has Been). Nothing in life is easy. You have to be obsessive. You are successful because you eat , sleep ,dream and pray that you lose weight . So no shame just rejoice at your success.!!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • iasue
    iasue Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    My name is Sue and I am a scale addict. I weigh myself every morning when I first get up. I keep vowing not to do it daily, because it does frustrate me to see the same 5 pounds fluctuate up and down without going any lower (I have 40+ to lose).
  • Hanfordrose
    Options
    I would love to go on a mission trip someday but I probably wouldn't fit in an airplane seat!!

Yes, I understand. I used to have to ask for a seatbelt extender to even fastener my seatbelt; and quite often, I was PAINFUL squeezed into most airplane seats, between the armrests. I never could afford the comfort, roomy, first class seating.
    So please mention my name also when you pray. I am so happy that you have made it!! You are an inspiration to me and others.
    God Bless!!!
    Nancy

Yes, Nancy. You and all my MFP friend are included in my prayers each evening, but I will say a special prayer for you today.
  • wapan
    wapan Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day. It keeps me accountable and is a daily reminder of my goals. Whenever I've gained weight, its been because I stopped weighing myself for a few weeks.
  • Hanfordrose
    Options
    My name is Sue and I am a scale addict. I weigh myself every morning when I first get up. I keep vowing not to do it daily, because it does frustrate me to see the same 5 pounds fluctuate up and down without going any lower (I have 40+ to lose).

Hi, Sue. I am Sue too. :laugh:

I have about 20 pounds left, until I reach my final goal of 140 pounds. I have had many days, when all I could do was watch the scale bounce between 2 and 5 pounds one way and the other. However and eventually, the weight does go down. My own MFP trip of more than 18 months has seen me slowly go down more than 119 pounds.

Just stay faithful to your food plan, and your success will come in time. :flowerforyou:
  • MegE_N
    MegE_N Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning. It works for me! The scale not moving after a good day is motivation to do better this day because I know I'm almost there.

But also it has made me more aware of my macros. Sodium, for instance. I know the scale will be higher after a sodium-heavy day, or when my cycle is about to begin. It's making me aware of the daily changes in my body and I like being aware.
  • ilenewilliams
    ilenewilliams Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily usually several times per day. Sadly the scale has played the up and down game for the past 10 weeks, but I haven't given up! You are definitely part of the reason Sue! You are such an inspiration and you didn't give up and neither will I
  • NuggetLovesEdie
    NuggetLovesEdie Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I don't consider myself to be a scale addict.

I work away from home M-Th, and don't have a scale up there. But I"m in the habit of weighing once, first thing in the morning every morning that I am home (Fri-Mon). When I worked and lived in the same town, I weighed every morning.

While the number is nice, the thing is that the number isn't what I ultimately pay attention to. It's the trend. What do the last 7, 30, 90, 180 days say about where I'm headed?

Seems to work ok that way for me.
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself pretty much whenever I have a free minute, but I only take one specific one per week seriously. It took me a while to get into that mind set, but sometimes seeing the numbers and fluctuations helps keep me on track and remind me what normal is.