Savoury vegetarian walnut recipes?

Options
LessHeavyVeggie
LessHeavyVeggie Posts: 208 Member
I bought a bag of walnuts recently, kind of an impulse purchase and I'm wondering what I can do with them other than having them as a snack/walnut butter. I was inspired by a pizza which I once had years ago - mushrooms, spinach, walnuts and feta, which I'm planning on making, but was wondering what else would work.

I'm vegetarian so no meat/fish suggestions please, eggs and dairy are good though. Other than being veggie I'm not too picky - I'll give any cuisine a try. Preferably no rare/pricey ingredients, fairly easy to make, and I'd prefer savoury suggestions as I don't have much of a sweet tooth! Oh, and I'm on a deficit so try not to make it too calorific.

Sorry for the list of criteria! Any suggestions would be lovely!

Replies

• PaulaKac
    PaulaKac Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    apple walnut salad.....yum
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Toast them lightly in a dry frying pan and scatter them over any salad. Rocket (rucola) leaves or spinach with pear and goat's cheese is a good combination.

ETA: also good with beetroot.
  • LessHeavyVeggie
    Options
    Thanks both of you, all things I like, I'll try a spinach, rocket, apple/beetroot(or maybe both?), walnut and either goat's cheese or feta salad. Might even go nuts and add some boiled egg. Mmmm too bad I'm asking this after dinner!

Any non salad ideas?
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    pasta with gorgonzola and walnuts is very tasty.
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
  • PaulaKac
    PaulaKac Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    toasted walnuts on top of sweet potatoes.....very yummy
  • LessHeavyVeggie
    Options
    Thanks everyone. A few things to try :smile:
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I sub walnuts for pine nuts in pesto.
  • ecanales52
    ecanales52 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I steam fresh green beans, drizzle with a touch of melter butter, S&P, top with walnuts.
  • LessHeavyVeggie
    Options
    Sometimes I sub walnuts for pine nuts in pesto.

I actually made a walnut and fresh oregano pesto last night! It was soo good!
  • nezbit88
    nezbit88 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I love them in roast pumpkin salad -

Roasted pumpkin with chili, salt and pepper (served hot)
    Baby spinach.
    Spanish onion.
    Walnuts (toasted) or Almonds.
    Either low fat cottage cheese or fat free french dressing.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest the pesto too!
  • LessHeavyVeggie
    Options
    Just wanted to update: for dinner tonight I had a salad with spinach, beetroot, apple, walnuts (of course), red onion and feta and it was so good! I've never put fruit in a salad before so thanks for the apple suggestion! and thanks for all the other suggestions everyone :flowerforyou: Me and my walnuts are going to have a great week! :drinker:
  • LB2812
    LB2812 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Another suggestion (in case anyone finds themselves with too many walnuts again!) is these zucchini almond burgers. They're pretty easy to make and taste great!

http://lukasvolger.com/2010/08/04/zucchini-almond-burgers/

(also, i've never toasted the almonds first - cuz i'm lazy - and it's still good)