Weights @ Gym

Options
90to20
90to20 Posts: 196 Member
Hey, so I've been a cardio only kinda gal from when I started my WLJ until today when I just started doing weights at the gym for a couple of reasons:

1) The first gym I signed up at was ladies only and cardio only. There were a couple of free weights but what does one do with free weights without anyone teaching them what to do?
2) I just signed up at Fitness World a couple weeks ago and everyone is super intimidating and lots of manly men do a lot in the weight training section
3) I was never taught how to use the machines or weights in a beneficial or safe way.

Today I had a friend of mine teach me some stuff and I had an amazing time. I have used the machines and free weights before on my own time, but never knew if I was doing things exactly right or if they were even doing anything for my body, or if I was even being safe.

Can anyone give me some routines that they do when weight training at the gym? Or what they do in general at the gym? Or a schedule? My gym has complete cardio area, complete weight training area, a pool, hot tub, sauna, steam room, and offers many classes including zumba, yoga, pilates, spin, salsa, step, etc.

Also can anyone tell me if I should be eating before and/or after the gym, what I should be eating, and why?

Thanks guys!

Replies

• 90to20
    Options
    Also, I should mention food wise that today I had iced coffee for breakfast, then a plain grilled grass fed chicken breast, and some feta cheese, then went for my workout about 1 hour after, and I am now feeling extremely hungry after the gym. So I don't know whether I should ignore the hunger, eat veggies only, or eat after the gym instead of before, or just eat both. I really don't know so please help me out :)
  • fowlerly
    fowlerly Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Read the book The New Rules of Lifting for Women - super helpful. Discusses eating and workouts.
  • crazymama76
    crazymama76 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I eat before gym and take a protein shake afterwards. Your body will ache when you first start using weights. I bet if you ask a trainer someone will give you pointers on using weights. And their are tons of youtube videos.
  • EllaIsNotEnchanted
    EllaIsNotEnchanted Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Hi.

A lot of people go around the gym as beginners and just do whatever to get affiliated with equipment. That is a-ok. However you will notice a change in workout regime each day and a wtfamIdoinglook.

The problem is that you can get unmotivated.

So what you are doing by asking about programs is way cool because consistency can create motivation and it's easy to track and etcetera.

Okay, so there is many programs out there for strength training.

Find something that works for you.

A lot of people are going to say 5x5 (I do 5x5). Though that may not work for you.

Read programs.

Here is a program picker that goes through a lot of explanation of different weight lifting routines

http://rohitnair.net/pp/

Use youtube videos to check form.
    Budget for a personal trainer to check form.
    Get your friend to do a program with you.

Ask for form check online.

I would be interested if anyone knew of dumbbell programs out there. :)

Enjoy finding what works for you!
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Yep read NROLFW, watch youtube for form. I also find Body Pump classes are great for form correction. Maybe there's a local session to you.
  • dont_tap_my_aces
    dont_tap_my_aces Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    You could probably learn a lot and benefit from a linear progression beginners strength training program. women are a lot of times afraid of strength training because they fear getting 'bulky' or whatever. its just not going to happen like that. instead squats can be a girls best friend especially if you go very low and get those glutes and hammys involved.

i'd recommend googling Strong Lifts 5x5. its an easy program and you begin with just the barbell (45lbs/20kg) so its not that difficult. However you could even start with just dumbbells for the squats if the empty barbell is still too much.
    ... and I am now feeling extremely hungry after the gym.

Drink a lot of water and see if your hunger goes away. you might just be dehydrated
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    As far as when to eat, it doesn't matter, it's personal preference. In terms of hunger, I like to eat my first meal of the day as late as possible that way I break the fast later and I don't get as hungry. I almost never eat breakfast, so my first meal is usually around noon.

In terms of weight lifting, I find it best to split up your days between muscle groups. For example you can do a Legs/shoulders day, Back/biceps day, and Chest/triceps day. Or you can do a 4 day split and give legs and shoulders each their own day. Each day should start with heavy compound lifts and end with isolation lifts if you're doing any isolation lifts at all.

Example of a Leg day: Squats 3 sets of 10 reps, Leg Press 3 sets of 15 reps, Let Extension machine 3 sets of 10 reps, Hamstring curl machine 3 sets of 10 reps, Standing Calf Press machine 3 sets of 15-20 reps, Seated Calf Press 3 sets of 15-20 reps.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I recommend three books on strength training for women: Fat Burn Revolution by Julia Buckley, Strong Curves by Bret Contreras, and The New Rules of Lifting for Women by Lou Schuler.

Use heavy weight to exhaust the muscle groups you're targeting. Do the 8 - 12 rep range and get close to exhaustion by the end of your sets.

If you're hungry, eat. It's better to eat around periods of heavy activity.
  • MarioLozano16
    MarioLozano16 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Check out starting strength
  • alioopwontonsoup
    alioopwontonsoup Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Bump because your bkg is similar to mine!!!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Starting strength, NROLFW, strong curves and Stronglifts 5x5 are all good beginner routines. The first 3 are books and 5x5 is a free website. If you don't have access to a trainer, starting strength would be my recommendation.

ETA: eat before AND after the gym :)
  • TarHiz
    TarHiz Posts: 3
    Options
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/5_fat_loss_workouts.htm

Bodybuilding.com usually has good programs, often complimented by handy calculators to help your taylor your efforts.
    If you poke around the net you'll probably find other resources, but they certainly are a good one.

The main thing with weights is to be careful; injuries are a reality. You will likely get one if you lift long enough, but you should make efforts to avoid activities that increase you chances of getting one -- and if you do get one, avoid getting a bad one.
    The human shoulder is a very complex joint and the trade off for our incredible range of motion is that the joint is extremely liable to injury, especially under load. Be extremely careful with you shoulders.

The call for caution also goes for your knees. Many exercises leverage you leg muscles if harmful ways. If you remember your high school physics classes on levers you'll realize that not only are leg extensions idiotic, ingrain unnatural motor patterns (where in normal life would you do that? nowhere), but are relatively ineffective. Body weight squats are a much better bet.

As a general rule ask: "can I picture a caveman/woman doing something like this in their environment?" You can use your imagination a bit, but if if the answer is "no" it's probably harmful and we weren't designed to do it. An example of a no: behind the head pulldowns (humans never put their hands behind their head to pull loads). An example of a yes: a squat to pick up a heavy object. It's a pretty robust rule of thumb.

If you have an extra bit of cash lying around, rent out of trainer for a few days (or even just one) to teach you the exercises. They typically know what they're talking about...typically.

Good luck!
  • 90to20
    Options
    Hi.

A lot of people go around the gym as beginners and just do whatever to get affiliated with equipment. That is a-ok. However you will notice a change in workout regime each day and a wtfamIdoinglook.

The problem is that you can get unmotivated.

So what you are doing by asking about programs is way cool because consistency can create motivation and it's easy to track and etcetera.

Okay, so there is many programs out there for strength training.

Find something that works for you.

A lot of people are going to say 5x5 (I do 5x5). Though that may not work for you.

Read programs.

Here is a program picker that goes through a lot of explanation of different weight lifting routines

http://rohitnair.net/pp/

Use youtube videos to check form.
    Budget for a personal trainer to check form.
    Get your friend to do a program with you.

Ask for form check online.

I would be interested if anyone knew of dumbbell programs out there. :)

Enjoy finding what works for you!

Thank you, this was extremely helpful.
  • 90to20
    Options
    You could probably learn a lot and benefit from a linear progression beginners strength training program. women are a lot of times afraid of strength training because they fear getting 'bulky' or whatever. its just not going to happen like that. instead squats can be a girls best friend especially if you go very low and get those glutes and hammys involved.

i'd recommend googling Strong Lifts 5x5. its an easy program and you begin with just the barbell (45lbs/20kg) so its not that difficult. However you could even start with just dumbbells for the squats if the empty barbell is still too much.
    ... and I am now feeling extremely hungry after the gym.

Drink a lot of water and see if your hunger goes away. you might just be dehydrated

Thanks for all your help!
  • 90to20
    Options
    As far as when to eat, it doesn't matter, it's personal preference. In terms of hunger, I like to eat my first meal of the day as late as possible that way I break the fast later and I don't get as hungry. I almost never eat breakfast, so my first meal is usually around noon.

In terms of weight lifting, I find it best to split up your days between muscle groups. For example you can do a Legs/shoulders day, Back/biceps day, and Chest/triceps day. Or you can do a 4 day split and give legs and shoulders each their own day. Each day should start with heavy compound lifts and end with isolation lifts if you're doing any isolation lifts at all.

Example of a Leg day: Squats 3 sets of 10 reps, Leg Press 3 sets of 15 reps, Let Extension machine 3 sets of 10 reps, Hamstring curl machine 3 sets of 10 reps, Standing Calf Press machine 3 sets of 15-20 reps, Seated Calf Press 3 sets of 15-20 reps.

AJ, I will PM you. You always are very specific and it really helps me out :)
  • 90to20
    Options
    Thanks to everyone! You are all being extremely respectful, helpful and kind which I really appreciate!!

I have a couple of books to read tonight and a lot of good tips to put to use at the gym tomorrow! :)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Starting strength, NROLFW, strong curves and Stronglifts 5x5 are all good beginner routines. The first 3 are books and 5x5 is a free website. If you don't have access to a trainer, starting strength would be my recommendation.

ETA: eat before AND after the gym :)

nailed it.