How do you fight cravings?

Options
That's my biggest issue, and I'd like to know what you do to fight cravings?

Replies

• kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Chewing gum or ice helps me. There are some great dessert flavors of gum that Extra makes. The mint chocolate chip ice cream flavor is fabulous!
  • peabody18
    Options
    I read in the New York Times that a short walk will help. I've tried it once and it worked. Doesn't hurt! Weird how it made me feel full, when I seemed hungry before.
  • mishmush21
    mishmush21 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    It really just depends. Portion control is really important when I am craving something. Sometimes I will just eat it, but I will work out harder or eat really well the rest of the day. Or with certain foods, (for me its mashed potatoes...) I will find a replica. I made cauliflower mash the other night, and it tasted just like the real thing! Plus I could eat more of it and feel full! And sometimes when I want something really bad, (like a chilicheese burger and fries... woops) I will share it with my cousin. I am still doing better than before and its a lifestyle change that you must get used to! Hope I helped!
  • Shamrock40
    Options
    I don't fight them too hard, I give into them, but in a healthier way. Something sweet for me is a sugar free chocolate pudding, or something salty/crunchy is popcorn (I do it on the stovetop and use a low-cal butter-flavored seasoning.) I pretty much know I'm going to want these things at the end of the day, so I try to leave enough calories built in to have them. For me, weight loss is partially psychological. If I tell myself I can't have something, then I want it all the more and I'm more likely to go overboard if I deny myself something for too long. So I allow myself to have these things, but in moderation and controlled portions. I also have a built-in cheat meal once a week. Last week it was pepperoni pizza and a few chicken wings. If I can put off my really bad cravings until cheat day, I'm doing pretty well.
  • ♥Violette♥4Ever♥
    Options
    I find things to do to take my mind away from the cravings. I also, have cleaned out my kitchen/house from anything that will make me stray from my goal. You can also talk to people. If you have Yahoo feel free to add me and message me anytime you have one of your cravings; my Yahoo is violette_illusions. If you have Windows Messenger, I am violette_illusions_dtr@live.com.
  • butlersoft
    butlersoft Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    When I get a craving - I try to stop and think to myself - "Why do I want to eat?" ... usually - it's just "because I want to" ... so I go pour a glass of water instead.

Keeping yourself busy also helps. Evenings are the worst ... you sit in front of the tv and it's just soooo tempting to want to reach for a bag of crisps / chips...
  • marisol7649
    marisol7649 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I give in. But I eat a small amount. also I dont keep it in the house.
  • randa715
    Options
    you can never really fight a craving you just have to find something heathy to put in its place like trade cholate for an apple : )
  • cmgriffis
    Options
    Well, to me, whenever I work out in excess and haven't eaten much, I crave food of any kind. So, I basically crave calories. Although, I will admit I have a food addiction and every now and then when I eat fast food, I will crave it for the next 2 or 3 days. When that happens I just remind myself of all the calories I ate. Plus I usually end up feeling guilty. But, if neither of these are apparent, but I just feel like I want food, I drink water. When water gets too old or boring, I change it up and drink Crystal Lite(: I hope this helps!
  • marianmaj
    marianmaj Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Cravings are caused by an imbalance in the body and I find increasing the super healthy highly alkaline foods and proteins stop those cravings. TRY NOT TO HAVE BAD FOODS IN YOUR LINE OF VISION... I HIDE MY HUSBANDS JUNKIE SNACKS IN A HIGH CUPBOARD THAT I CANNOT REACH AND I CANNOT SEE ..OUT OF SIGHT OUT OF MIND I swear by a vegan protein drink by PURE ENCAPSULATIONS made with hemp and pea protein; no whey or dairy...it is kind of hard to find but i can help you get it. It tastes great! I mix it with 1/4 cup of chocolate almond milk and 1/2 cup vanilla almond milk (only 40 calories in a cup and yummy) with ice and it has anly 130 cals per scoop vanilla or chocolate powder..i use both. I can get more info on it if you wish; i order it all the time for my clients. (i am a Pilates trainer in Ma.) I also find MetRex works well for cravings and you may like it but it does have whey protein which i prefer to avoid as an A blood type. If you are an O you will do ok w/ it i think. Cheers, Marian
  • jennigriff
    Options
    I think how it will affect the progress I am trying to make. Then I have a glass water.
  • jennigriff
    Options
    I think how it will affect the progress I am trying to make. Then I have a glass water.
  • marianmaj
    marianmaj Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    A note to the fast food comment: those NON foods have ingredients and chemicals that are DESIGNED to cause cravings for more of the same..did you know McDonalds puts SUGAR on their french fries??? they don't want us to know these things. WATCH SUPERSIZE ME to learn the truth about fast food industry .thus your desire for fast food 2-3 days after eating! sad but true. Artificial sweeteners are also a main cause of increased body fat. Try stevia or xylitol instead of dangerous crysal lite....anything that says LITE on the label has these chemicals.