Old school Cal Counting

Options
Don't have a smart phone or any i products. Are there any devices for a person like me (mr flip phone) to count calories when I'm not by a computer, without having to go the paper and pencil route.

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Does your phone have a camera? You can take pictures of what you eat during the day and log the food into MFP when you get home.
  • chargraves
    chargraves Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Don't have a smart phone or any i products. Are there any devices for a person like me (mr flip phone) to count calories when I'm not by a computer, without having to go the paper and pencil route.

If you are in a situation where you do not have access to the internet most of the day, I would suggest pre-logging your food. Keep a small notepad or peice of paper in your pocket to record anything you eat that wasn't planned and make updates when you can log in again. I pre-log my meals (even if I don't always stick to the plan100%) to keep me from going significantly over or under my calorie & macro goals. It also helps me to know what I have left over for treats.

Yes it makes it tons easier to track food intake using an app but plenty of people counted calories and lost weight before computers. If losing weight is something that you really want to do you will find a way! Best of luck to you.
  • columbus27
    columbus27 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    no camera
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I'm very old school in that, even though I have a smart phone and everything, nothing beats handwriting for me.
    I write EVERYTHING down in my daily schedule planner. I specifically got one that had day by day breakdowns so I had space for it. That way, I can at least write it down, and if I have to look up calories at a later time, I'm not forgetting what I ate. And if I don't have access to a proper way to measure, I always round up from what I'm guessing my portion size is.

ETA: I know you're looking for something other than pen and paper but here's the thing..you can do writing, or you can do technology,..there's not really a middle ground between the two concepts.
  • sweetnlow30
    sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options

If you are in a situation where you do not have access to the internet most of the day, I would suggest pre-logging your food. Keep a small notepad or peice of paper in your pocket to record anything you eat that wasn't planned and make updates when you can log in again. I pre-log my meals (even if I don't always stick to the plan100%) to keep me from going significantly over or under my calorie & macro goals. It also helps me to know what I have left over for treats.

Yes it makes it tons easier to track food intake using an app but plenty of people counted calories and lost weight before computers. If losing weight is something that you really want to do you will find a way! Best of luck to you.

I second this! Pre-logging is a great idea. If you decide to have something not planned for, write it down and adjust when you get home. I almost always log my day first thing in the morning so there are no surprises when I accidentally choose something that doesn't fit into my day.

Edited for ipad changing words on me lol.